So what's the current Holy Grail in your collection?

AHerrera83

I haven't seen one of these threads in a while, so here goes.

I finally got a pressed copy of the SpaceCamp Japanese CD (I only had a CD-R). Now only missing from my collection are pressed copies of Goldsmith's Boys From Brazil and Herrmann's Obsession (just have CD-R's, as well).

How about you?

-Alejandro, extremely happy.

PS- I consider boots and CD-R's just extensions, so I'm never satisfied if there's a legitimate release out there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pressed copy of the Accidental Tourist.

BTW,Spacecamp is supposed to be re-issued soon.

K.M.Who wonders how much AHerrere83 paid for his pressed copy of the Japanese c.d. of Spacecamp.

I have a few Holy Grail's. All four are special to me, but only the first is rare. I don't have any rare Williams because all the releases of his stuff that I have are easy to find.

-Goldsmith's complete score to Alien (thanks again Marian)

-Williams' complete score to Empire Strikes Back (my first and favorite film score)

-Solti's complete Ring Cycle

-Karajan's complete Parsifal (kudos to whoever can figure out the irony in that)

Is that a complete version of Obsession AHerrera83? I have a 30 minute official release also containing Welles Raises Kane and a suite from the Devil and Daniel Webster. The label is Unicorn Kanchana. This release is rare I think. Anyways, great score! I think it should be a candidate for Mcneely to rerecord.

Yeah K.M., I knew it might be rereleased soon, but I had been looking for it for so long that I decided to go for it anyway (you get a lot more stubborn with time). I had to shell out $55 US 8O but it's the lowest I've seen it go for, so I was quite pleased!

-Alejandro

Is that a complete version of Obsession AHerrera83?  I have a 30 minute official release also containing Welles Raises Kane and a suite from the Devil and Daniel Webster.  The label is Unicorn Kanchana.  This release is rare I think.  Anyways, great score!  I think it should be a candidate for Mcneely to rerecord.

I know there's an extended boot of Obsession floating around, but the one I'm looking for is the Masters Film Music release. I have all the MFM limited releases except for Boys from... and Obsession. Call me Obsessed 8O but I really want to complete that series!

-The Takis, Ware, and Elvisjones edits of the Battle of Naboo. You guys did a great job on those. The Takis version is my favorite, but the other ones are good too, certainly better than the mess on the UE.

-The near complete scores for Last Crusade and Hook off the internet, I'm only missing about 3 minutes of each.

Now if I could ever get my hands on a Temple of Doom CD...

The "Yes, Giorgio" pressed Decca OST CD. Impossible to find. And since I have a pressed and official CD of every single officially released Williams score and either a pressed CD or a CDR copy of every bootlegged Williams score except this one... I'd trade CDRs of every single one of my 200+ John Williams albums for a pressed copy.

I'll admit it...i'm a fairly young/new collector, so my list isn't that comprehensive in value, rarity, etc. But here are my crown jewels:

Soundtracks:

Hook - Concorde bootleg

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Special Collector's Edition

Soon to be in my possession -Superman - Rhino Edition

Others:

Sir George Solti and the CSO - Brahms' 4 Symphonies plus Tragic Overture and Academic Festival Overture

Sir George Solti - Wagner's Ring Cycle

Michael Tilson Thomas and the LSO- Debussy Collection

and many too many others to list here...

- the promo CD of Contact (which contains no extra music BTW)

- Concorde Hook Cd

- Kid Stuff, compilation Boston Pops album, which is considered rare

- La Veuve de st Pierre, finally found it when I was in Luxembourg on Holiday

Some of holly grails in my collection :

- each Jane Eyre issue.

- Hook Concorde release.

- Born on the Fourth of July (July Records bootleg).

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Lacombe bootleg).

- The Poseidon Adventure (Johnny Boy bootleg).

- The Towering Inferno (Tower Records bootleg).

- The Witches of Eastwick (Eastwick records bootleg 2nd edition).

- The Missouri Breaks / Monsignor (Monsignor Records bootleg).

- Heidi.

- Harry Potter Oscar promo.

In this list, I think that Jane Eyre albums are the most hard to find...

Accidental Tourist (pressed cd)

Jurassic Park (picture cd)

1941 (bootleg from Laser Disc -- pressed cd)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (original japanese cd release -- pressed cd)

Return of the Jedi (original release -- pressed cd)

... and the complete Williams/Boston Pops dicography (a few ones as cd-r's). From those I should point out:

Pops Brittania (includes Jane eyre suite -- pressed cd)

Bernstein by Boston (pressed cd)

Pops in love (pressed cd and pressed lp)

Pops aroud the World: Digital Overtures (pressed cd)

... and so many rare stuff in cd-r. And this is only my Williams related stuff.

Pops Brittania (includes Jane eyre suite -- pressed cd)

I so much envy you the Pops Britannia - I've been trying to get it since 1999!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mine are:

By JW:

Schindler's List - the gold CD

CE3K - collector's edition

Rhino's Superman

Temple of Doom - Japanese import (TOD is also the "shortest but most expensive" buy of mine)

3 versions of E.T. (only those original ones)

Home Alone (hard to find in my land)

Boston Pops - It Don't Mean a Thing, Unforgettable and The Green Album

Boston Pops with Lockhart - American Classics (with America, the Dream Goes On)

and

Images - but only in mp3 but great sound!; grabbed from vinyl

By Others:

Danny Elfman - Black Beauty (CD)

Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian

Jerry Goldsmith - The Omen

Miklos Rozsa - Ben Hur compilation

By Others:

Danny Elfman - Black Beauty (CD)

Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian

Jerry Goldsmith - The Omen

Miklos Rozsa - Ben Hur compilation

I hear more often that Black Beauty OOP is and hard to find. I really don't understand. Here in the Netherlands I know some stores that have more then one CD.

And Conan the Barbarian is still in a store. Should I buy this one? I mean is it valuable?

The Pops Britannia disc was released in lp and cd in 1988. I got it in 1990, and never saw it again -- not even on the internet. I also have Indy 2, the german release, and got at mid price also around 1990. I recently saw the Japanese release on a local store, and was priced with a regular price, not too expensive.

I don't know if I should count bootlegs as Holy Grails but as far a legit CDs go:

Witches of Eastwick - found a near mint copy for $4.00 in the used bin at Hastings last year.

Since these are no longer in print or I haven't seen them listed anywhere I would count these, although I wouldn't really consider some of them Holy:

The Towering Inferno - FSM release

Raiders Of The Lost Ark - DCC Expanded Release

E.T. - original MCA release

Cocoon - Original Polydor release

Lifeforce - Original Varese release

Mysterious Island - Cloud Nine / Silva release

But my prized CDs that I'm extra careful with are my soundtracks to Godzilla and other Japanese Sci-Fi films composed by Akira Ifukube cause they cost a small fortune.

Raiders of the Lost Ark expanded Silva Screen European release of the greatest score ever. 8O

And my complete Superman Rhino release.

Justin

... and the Original Release of ET! This was my second cd (the first I got a few days earlier, when I got my first cd player, and wanted to try it out... and was Platoon soundtrack, just because of Barber's Adagio).

The original E.T. album is one of my all time favorites. I came back to it, when I really want to hear E.T.'s music. It's rare to listen to the two expanded releases, or the 2 cd complete boot, or even a new one I recently got, that runs through three cd's (yes, you read it right, 3 cd's).

And how could I forgot one of the most generous gifts I ever had... a Picture LP of E.T. still sealed (Eric, I Love You).

surprise surprise.

The Towering Inferno is my one true Holy Grail.

On my Grail watch now is Temple of Doom expanded or complete and a

Harry Potter expanded or complete.

Oh yeah, Johnnie's score for Color Purple on the DVD special edition. :sigh: LOL LOL LOL :pukeface:

Oooh goody- I love these threads... so I can salivate over other's collections... a couple of mine are:

POLTERGEIST complete- Goldsmith

SAND PEBBLES complete- Goldsmith

PATTON complete- Goldsmith

(starting to see a patern here yet?)

PEACEMAKER complete- Zimmer

HIGHLANDER complete- Kamen

JAWS film version-Williams

RAISE THE TITANIC-Barry

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY complete- Conti (I know, I know... a guilty pleasure)

Man, I could keep going here...

John F

Forget the CD's I have. My pride and joy are The Full Written Scores from various composers including John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Chris Young, Korngold, Marc Shaiman and Herrmann.

Beowolf, what a hideous avatar. quite disgusting.

What did Obi-Wan say to Luke when they first spotted Norman Ok?

you will never find a more retched hide of scum and villiany.

LOL :pukeface:

so do you really think OU will go 14-0 and win the Nat. Champ. again?

And are you the former Dvorak of the old board.

Joe.

uh ... I found a copy of the Soundtrack to Go on the side of the road ... it's really good.

Oh, and I have a copy of Nixon with a broken CD cover. It's got computer stuff!

BigJohn

Unclear on concept

Beowolf, what a hideous avatar.  quite disgusting.

Actually...it is quite pleasant to the eye. Crimson and white [cream] go well together methinks.

What did Obi-Wan say to Luke when they first spotted Norman Ok?

you will never find a more retched hide of scum and villiany.

LOL  :lsvader:

Are you sure he wasn't talking about Fayetville? If I seem to remember correctly, a Mr. Nolan Richardson seemed to have a few choice words about that town last year. :sigh:

so do you really think OU will go 14-0 and win the Nat. Champ. again?

With White looking good this year and my having seen the scrimage already...anything is possible. Seriously speaking, I think they have a very good chance at the title but I doubt they could go undefeated. That was a magical year with many favorable factors going for them.

And are you the former Dvorak of the old board.

maybe...maybe not. 8O

I think you and your razorbacks better get used to :pukeface: this year. :biglaugh:

As for holy grails that I OWN, the rarest official albums are:

-SpaceCamp OST pressed CD (MEGA-THANKS to Stefan for this one, and I still owe him a lifetime supply of my homamade boots for it! LOL!)

-Witches Of Eastwick OST pressed CD

-Accidental Tourist OST pressed CD

-Jane Eyre (1st Silva Version) OST pressed CD

-1941 (Bay Cities original) OST pressed CD

-All the limited to 3,000 copy pressings (Proudest of The Fury, a dream come true for me!)

Having every OOP Williams score on CD is pretty cool. Polydor Star Wars CDs, Polydor Indy 1 & 2, 2 versions of the MCA original E.T., dozens of artwork andf company variations of the same album, ect...

I have some rare vinyl records too:

-Diamond Head

-Tom Sawyer (Still sealed)

-Goodbye, Mr. Chips

-Not With My Wife, You Don't

-Yes, Giorgio (played & recorded on CDR once. Recieved it still sealed)

-The Fury (Still sealed)

-ROTJ (Still sealed)

-TESB Dual LP with posterbook (Not as rare as it is my favorite)

Bootlegs? I have some pressed too:

-Hook Concorde set

-Witches Of Eastwick (only 666 pressed copies)

-Monsignor/Missouri Breaks (Only 500 pressed copies)

-Indy 3: Vol. 2/Amazing Stories: The Mission

-Cinderella Liberty/The Reivers

-1941 Laserdisc boot

-Posideon Adventure boot

Rare BPO pressed CDs?

-Pops Brittania

-A handful of others that are rare, but Pops Britannia is probably the rarest pressed one I have

The holy grails yet not obtained:

-Yes, Giorgio (Decca, West Germany) OST pressed CD

-A.I. Academy Awards pressed 2 CD set Promo (CDRs will not do!)

So much that it's not even possible to think of them all really, but I named the standout pressed CDs. I can't even talk about the CDRs because they are just copies, and they are on my trading list anyways s no need. Miguel and I are always trading rare stuff that we dig up. :pukeface:

-Chris

... and I also have Tom Sawyer lp...

Chris, you have many more rare stuff than I have. I must say that most of the rare cd's I have, are in fact cd-r's (unless otherwise noted, like the ones above).

I specially envy those who, since they live in the U.S., have less trouble finding old Williams lp's.

Chris:

That Yes, Giorgio German CD, is it a legit release?!? I'd never heard of it before.

-Alejandro, suddenly fearing that his Williams legit CD collection is again incomplete... :pukeface:

Yep.

It's legit, and I can't find it anywhere. I can't even find a CDR copy of it. I've been on John Williams sites AND Pavarotti sites asking for it, and so far.... ZERO luck. :pukeface:

In fact, the below information is the only thing we know about it's existence.

giorgio-cd.gif

Found here: http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwil...ams/giorgio.htm

Not too sure if I have that many holy grail titles, since in one or way or another, I managed to acquire most of what I was looking for (even when it took many years of persistence). And several of what had been on my wish list eventually came out as deluxe versions.

Although there are some now hard to find and OOP soundtracks that I used to have and now wish I had them again. Grrrrrrrr! banghead

(All the same, I have no intention forking over big bucks for the pleasure of owning them again.)

I remeber seing it listed somewhere else... just don't know were anymore :pukeface:

And by the way, who have the first recording of Olympic Fanfare and Theme, recorded by Williams with a LA Studio Orchestra, and release in lp and tape in 1984 by CBS Records. I have a lp-to-cd-r transfer, but I don't find this to be the best recording of the piece.

-Williams' complete score to Empire Strikes Back

by this do you mean the msuic released for the special edition in 1997? or is there some other more obscure release i am unaware of?

-Karajan's complete Parsifal(kudos to whoever can figure out the irony in that)

he-hey, i know this one! :sigh: Parzival by wolfram von eschenbach was a 'grail romance' written in the late 12th century, in which the holy grail object is a stone not a cup (i.e. before later authors 'christianised' the story) known as the 'gral'. this and certian other stories like it from the time are a key part of evidence that seems to point to the holy grail not being a separate object from, but rather a symbol for, the lost ark of the covenant.

even more possible JW references! :pukeface:

I misunderstood the thread,I'm MISSING a pressed copy of Accidental tourist.I have everything else,including most of the pressed boots( Williams)

My LUCKIEST and unlikely finds in a store were Spacecamp and Witches of Eastwick.

I actually purchased Tourist when it was still available but returned it because it was boring .I wasn't collecting then.What a misake. ;)

K.M

-Williams' complete score to Empire Strikes Back

by this do you mean the msuic released for the special edition in 1997? or is there some other more obscure release i am unaware of?

-Karajan's complete Parsifal(kudos to whoever can figure out the irony in that)

he-hey, i know this one! ;) Parzival by wolfram von eschenbach was a 'grail romance' written in the late 12th century, in which the holy grail object is a stone not a cup (i.e. before later authors 'christianised' the story) known as the 'gral'. this and certian other stories like it from the time are a key part of evidence that seems to point to the holy grail not being a separate object from, but rather a symbol for, the lost ark of the covenant.

even more possible JW references! ;)

No, I just mean that the RCA Victor release of ESB is really special to me. I believe there were the Starwars Anthology albums, that had much of the music from all three of the films, but a few incomplete cues.

Good for you for figuring my in-joke out! I've never heard of the grail as a symbol for the Ark. I've heard another theory that it was a secret well kept by a group of knights. The secret was that Christ was still alive after his crucification. That's one strange theory. Sorry for getting off-topic! :P

NP: Siegfried (Forging the Sword)

No, I just mean that the RCA Victor release of ESB is really special to me.  I believe there were the Starwars Anthology albums, that had much of the music from all three of the films, but a few incomplete cues.

Don't forget about the OST's either. Although the ROTJ OST is forgettable because it was SO incomplete. But the SW & ESB dual albums were good.

Joe, ever the penitent man.

who knows that Jehovah, starts with an I

and is willing to take that leap of faith.

I don't really own any rare Williams or any which I stepped off a precipice for, the readily available stuff has sustained me quite well, but I am proud of my autographed copy of Pops On The March.

It was the best thing I could think to present him with when he walked into our store. We're talking Canada in 1993, and we weren't heavy on soundtracks, and to top it off, it had a hole punched in the jewel case -- it was a DELETE! He was just happy there were copies still floating about. A few weeks after that, the SW Anthology Box Set arrived in the store, too late for a signature, arrghh!

Yep.

It's legit, and I can't find it anywhere. I can't even find a CDR copy of it. I've been on John Williams sites AND Pavarotti sites asking for it, and so far.... ZERO luck. :)

In fact, the below information is the only thing we know about it's existence.

giorgio-cd.gif

Found here:http://www.classicalrecordings.com/johnwilliams/giorgio.htm

if its released on the German Decca label (like angela's ashes) is there no German visitor here you saw this CD in a store?

Bitte? We need to help Crusher!

Pops on the March is in fact an hard to find out of print disc... even more if it's autographed.

I saw several pops album by Philips that seem to be back in print.I found Aisle Seat a month ago and hadn't seen it for years,and it wasn't an old copy gathering dust in an obscure shop.

K.m.Who has the Pops on the March track,but the c.d. is called I Love a Parade(Sony Classical).I don't think its oop.

Williams wrote the Pops on the March piece was written in 1981, and origanaly comissioned in 1978 by the late Arthur Fiedler, conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestr from 1929 to 1979.

After being apointed to the Pops, Williams composed the march, dedicating it to the memory of Fiedler. For some reason he didn't recorded it on the 1981 album with the same name.

And some of Philips early 80's Pops recordings are still in print.

I own all the original U.S. Williams/Pops albums, but none of the Philips reissues (I don't think they have any new music, do they?). I've found them all to be excellent.

I do recall that for Peter and the Wolf, at least three different versions exist, but I only have the Dudley Moore one. I believe the other two are now alomost impossible to find.

As for the two march albums, I like Pops of the March much more than I Love a Parade, although I do like the latter's version of Midway.

I own all the original U.S. Williams/Pops albums, but none of the Philips reissues (I don't think they have any new music, do they?).  I've found them all to be excellent.

You have Kid Stuff?

You have Kid Stuff?

Nope! As Miguel pointed out, all the music in Kid's Stuff had been previously available in the original releases. :angry:

You have Kid Stuff?

Nope! As Miguel pointed out, all the music in Kid's Stuff had been previously available in the original releases. :angry:

Are you sure, also the 'special' Jaws recording with the drums in the beginning? On what CD is that then?