Jaws Original Album vs Jaws 2000 Recording Album

Damo

Which is better?  

11 members have voted

1. 1.

• Jaws Original Album
    • Jaws (2000 Rerecording of 1975 Film Score) [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [SOUNDTRACK]

B000002NZU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115530038_.jpg

VS

B00004XSP5.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116150457_.jpg

Which one sounds better or which do you perfer? I only got the Jaws: Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack but not the Jaws (2000 Rerecording of 1975 Film Score) [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [sOUNDTRACK] .

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as JAws goes, the original album beats them all. The re-recording is a mixed bag for me, good in places, bad in places, and the restoration is very complete, but doesn't work for me as a listening experience, even when sequenced into film order.

Jaws (2000 Rerecording of 1975 Film Score) [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [sOUNDTRACK]

Huh? Are you talking about the McNeely rerec, as your parantheses and cover scan suggest, or about the remastered original recording mentioned by your brackets? :?

:) Cobb (Elliot Goldenthal)

Personally I would stay away from the Varese recording. While it sounds good the performances are poor and lack the punch provided on the other two albums. The shark theme has no life to it and sounds like the same cue played over and over again.

The original album and the 25th Anniversary CD are the two to have. The expanded CD does have some sound problems but it is a great listen. One of the things I love about Jaws was that the shark theme is orchestrated differently each time it's played and it was nice to hear the actual cues used in the film. The original album is a great companion piece as Williams re-recorded and expanded upon the cues selected. Some of the improvements are "Tourists On The Menu" and the concert version of the main theme.

shouldnt this be 25th edition vs McNeelys re-recording?

complete score against complete score?

Now it is a different matter if you prefer the album version or the film score.

I have both. :joy:

I always go for the original versions over the re-recordings, but the McNeely one is very good. SO I vote Option #1.

And I too prefer the 25th Anniversary Edition over the OST.

I don't have the re-recording and never thought about buying it because I already own the original release and the Collector's edition.

Both, OST and Collector's Edition, provide such a different listening experience it's a difference like between day and night. For a long time, the OST was the only thing I had and I was shocked when I heard the Collector's edition because it is just so different. I also think that they did a little bit too much of digital tricks because it sounds too thin and some stuff is volumed down way too much. I always find myself fiddling on the volume regulation of my Hi-Fi while listening to this CD. But I got used to the sound pretty qickly and both CDs make good companion pieces. I always listen to them in a row, so I have no particular favourite.

Jaws (2000 Rerecording of 1975 Film Score) [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [sOUNDTRACK]

Huh? Are you talking about the McNeely rerec, as your parantheses and cover scan suggest, or about the remastered original recording mentioned by your brackets? :?

:joy: Cobb (Elliot Goldenthal)

Yeah, thats the full name for McNeely rerec album.

25th Anniv. The rerecording of Ben Gardner's Boat by Williams for the first release w/ the movie is unlistenable b/c of that electronic noise used when the head appears.

:P Cobb (Elliot Goldenthal)

Yeah, thats the full name for McNeely rerec album.

No it's not. How on earth can it be "2000 rerecording of 1975 film score" AND "original recording remastered"? :roll: