37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Zimmer's Gladiator
    • Badelt and Co.'s Pirates

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care what the puritans say....Gladiator is one of the best film scores of all time. Hell, even the classical community agrees with that, and they hate film scores.

Even the loud Zimmerisms are fantastic. The opening battle scene, specifically the part before the cavalry arrive, a panning shot of the flaming arrows flying on the battlefield, Roman soldiers marching forward, and Zimmer's fanfare.

The shot itself as a whole seems like it's perfectly still, on such a scale there is virtually no action, but the music says otherwise, and if you look closer, there is indeed so much action going on.

That sold me on the movie, and on Zimmer's soundtrack.

Pirates is great for all of one track, the enterance of Jack Sparrow. Beyond that, it's a fun listen for 15 minutes, but is otherwise meh.

I don't really care what the puritans say....Gladiator is one of the best film scores of all time. Hell, even the classical community agrees with that, and they hate film scores.

The classical community has zero credibility when it comes to judging film scores. The best thing to do is go by the opposite of what they say.

Gladiator is the easy choice here. At least it has Patricide and a couple of other decent cues, plus that little fanfare that I still really like. PotC has a headache in a box.

But thing is most people who bash Gladiator bash it for the synths, not necessarily because it's bad music. "Because synths didn't exist at the time of the Romans." But somehow a score like Ben Hur (which indeed is a phenomenal achievement by Rozsa) is historically accurate. Because we all know, Romans had 120 piece orchestras, strings instruments that weren't invented for almost a millenium later.

While I completely agree a more orchestral presence would certainly lift the score even further, I don't think dismissing it merely for having synths is very bright...which a good many people seem to do.

I wouldn't bash Zimmer's implementation of synths in Gladiator because it wasn't around in Roman times, but because it pulled me out of the film when I was watching it.

The classical community seems to rank it high mostly because it sold well. It's one of those "we'll throw the plebs a bone here" things. If it's popular, it must be good!

Still, between these two, it's Gladiator by a landslide, which, by the way, has four different composers credited on the album, and is mostly seen as a collaboration between Zimmer and Gerrard (it says so on the front anyway). But I'm not sure what the actual film credit is.

My vote is for Gladiator. My favorite part of the score is actually the most POTC sounding part, though, at 4:11 or 4:12 in "The Battle." To me, that part of Gladiator is better than any of it's stylistic reusage in POTC.

~Conor

I don't care for neither of these.

K.M.

I never expected you to like one. Much less both. But I guess you just wanted to shock us, by caring for both. ;)

I of course know I'm opening myself to criticism, but I don't really care.

I listen to Pirates more often (driving, iPod), but I think Gladiator is a MUCH more elegant and fitting score. Pirates is more fun to listen to apart from the film, IMO.

I think a better comparison would be:

Gladiator vs The Last Samurai

Pirates of the Caribbean vs The Rock vs The Peacemaker

I don't really care what the puritans say....Gladiator is one of the best film scores of all time.

no its not one of the best film socres of all time, its a bloated festering, mess. Its a dead animal thats been in the sun and the stomach explodes from the heat.

Without a doubt Gladiator. The tracks I love the most are the first 10 minutes of the film, Barbarian Horde and the Elysium theme.

I don't really care what the puritans say....Gladiator is one of the best film scores of all time.

no its not one of the best film socres of all time, its a bloated festering, mess. Its a dead animal thats been in the sun and the stomach explodes from the heat.

Describe POTC next Joe! :)

Definitely - "Gladiator"! This is a classic right now. On the other hand, my appreciation towards it - regarded as a Zimmer's work - has changed for worse, when I realised that a great amount of the best material was written by Lisa Gerrard. Compared to her contribution, Zimmer's work - except some splendid mements - is for me nothing more but just decent.

1st "Pirates" are for the most part 'Media Ventures crudest hits' compilation and have no respect for the long tradition of swashbuckling scores. I don't like it at all.

Gladiator. I like the 'Waltz' theme, 'Earth', and all of the Commodus tracks.

But I hate the Romans.

plus that little fanfare that I still really like.

What little fanfare is that? The five note one?

No, it's more than 5 notes. It's one of the main themes of the score, playing at the start of The Battle and a couple of times after Maximus wins in the arena in the second half of the movie.

one was because I can't stand Gladiator,

and despite all my friends here thinking Im nuts, I liked the POTC score.

I voted for POTC because I prefer listening to it than to Gladiator. But I think Gladiator works just fine in the movie. Keep in mind the question was not "Which score is better?" but rather "Which do you prefer?"

I'm amazed at the way some people think. "Well I thought POTC was crap, so why doesn't everyone else hate it?" It's so obvious that some of you cannot fathom how we enjoy scores like POTC - just don't worry about it! It's no skin off your back.

While they were both scored by several of the same people (Zimmer and Badelt), it's a credit to them that different approaches were taken, as they are totally different films. Gladiator is a serious, introspective drama that requires a violent, yet subtle score, and Pirates is a big summer event film that is pure fun with a bit of faux, quasi-seriousness like every other summer blockbuster has.

When I listen to either CD, I am instantly reminded of each respective film. To me, that's a credit to the composers.

it's a credit to them that different approaches were taken

I say! These scores couldn't be more apart and different from one another. They're totally at two opposite ends of the musical spectrum. Kudos to the obvious versatility of the respective composers.

I'm sorry, what?

POTC very blatantly rips of music from Gladiator, both the style and themes.

Pirates may not have a Duduk in there, but that's hardly calling it an original work...

I have to agree with this happenin' fella.

Sorry but PoTC made James Horner look like the most creative individual in the universe.

Oye, here we go...

We all know that there are several Gladiator-isms in POTC, most notably the heroic theme. I never said POTC was an "original" score, I just said different approaches were taken for each movie as a whole. The reason they sound similar at times is because Zimmer has a distinctive way of scoring "the heroic theme" in movies. His heroic themes for Crimson Tide, The Rock, Gladiator, and Pirates of the Caribbean are examples of this. But that really isn't so different from, say, Alan Silvestri's "heroic theme". Listen to Eraser and then Judge Dredd and then The Long Kiss Goodnight, or The Mummy Returns and then Van Helsing. The same could be said for James Newton Howard as well... The Package, The Fugitive, Outbreak, Waterworld, Atlantis, Dinosaur, and Treasure Planet. Or David Arnold... Last of the Dogmen, Stargate, Independence Day, Godzilla, The Musketeer.

In reality, it is no more a big deal with Zimmer than it is with any other composer (ahem, Horner). I would be more critical of POTC if Zimmer had set out to create a totally original, orchestral swashbuckling pirate score and failed miserably. But he didn't. He was hired to score a "Best of" compilation at the behest of Bruckheimer, and in that respect he did his job quite well. I lament Silvestri's firing as much as the next person, but if I had the mindset of "coulda woulda shoulda" I would probably complain about every other score released.

While they were both scored by several of the same people (Zimmer and Badelt), it's a credit to them that different approaches were taken, as they are totally different films. Gladiator is a serious, introspective drama that requires a violent, yet subtle score, and Pirates is a big summer event film that is pure fun with a bit of faux, quasi-seriousness like every other summer blockbuster has.

When I listen to either CD, I am instantly reminded of each respective film. To me, that's a credit to the composers.

Gladiator is subtle? 8O

Well obviously not a piece like "The Battle"... :roll:

Ridley Scott's latest few films are often both extremely violent yet extremely beautiful, and Zimmer (and lately HG-W) has done a stand-up job mirroring this with his scores.

In the end though, I still maintain that it all comes down to personal taste. If you don't like Zimmer's action music in one score, chances are you won't like it in the next score.

If you look at what I wrote, I never said that his score was actually subtle, I said "Gladiator is a film that requires a subtle score." I was describing the films themselves.