My Complete Episode I Score (restored)

GoodMusician

Disc 1 of the UE is mostly unedited, except some little loops and tracked or unused segments.

Well just comparing the UE to the unreleased stuff, I could hear dozens of times in the first 30 minutes where notes are stretched and stuff is looped.

p.s.: Somebody could PM me a way to get the thing? :wave:

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for graciously providing this GoodMusician!

I enjoyed your set immensely - this is perhaps the most ideal representation of TPM and it's really comforting to know one of JW's latter-day opuses, so wrongfully abused on film and disc, was treated with utmost care and respect. I hope the upcoming box set would be an *archive* of each score in a manner similar to this, but I don't think Lucasfilm and Sony could provide - you have them beat. Congrats!

I'm working on a very detailed review of this set which I hope to complete in a few days time.

Looking forward to it Cerrabore.

As far as it being High Council II's alternate... I actually had it orignally as that, but I changed it because Cerrabore had it written in his edits that it was High COuncil I's alternate.  

I can see what you're saying, but I think that what may be more important to notice is the length. The length is very close to High Council I's length. If it were the alternate for that, and then High Council II came in latterin the film, using a similar motif...then that would make sense...  

Change it if you'd like... but I'm gonna leave it because there's no way to know. In fact, we don't know WHAT it is.  

That's fair enough, you're right, we can't really know. Thanks for your response!

I don't mean to bring this up but I remembered Demodex saying this...

Listening to The Main Title thru the Invasion of Naboo sequence.  I don't hear much difference except some parts seem too long.

I just wanted to point out that you must realise you're listening to almost the same thing on the UE but on the UE all it is, is just split up into seperate tracks and hacked up a bit...

Edit: By the way Demodex, read this page here. The review that John Takis (who is a member of this board) did for the U.E. of TPM. He pratically points out nearly everything wrong with that version of the score.

I'm not sure if I look forward to or dred your crique Cerrabore.

I'm gonna be blunt here, but my point in making this was, yes, to present the score as true and natural to form ...and as complete as humanly possible, not so much worrying about pleasing people. I did what I felt I needed to.

In the end, there were several creative decisions that I made... personally because I wanted to change some things. Some people might argue I split up the tracks apart too much at the beginning of disk 2...which is all but possible... but I split them as I felt it was appropriate.

I guess the bottom line is, this is my edit made possible by Lord Skylarks rips and with some help by Cerrabores edit information. If you don't like what I did, feel free to change it. I have no quarrles with that. This was just meant as a presentation of everything in a neat, organized, easily accessable but still listenable way. I mean, you guys are more than welcome to take it and arrange it how you wish. I'm not gonna hunt you down if you do :-p

But whatever...

Yea, I almost didn't include that track as I really still don't think it's right but... it was all of 6 seconds... big woop so I just put it in to please people. That is a case where I did something to please people...

Well, I hate to double post but this is worthy of some recognition... due to a member of the site (ins), I started looking again through some of the files... and noticed that I'd left out an alternate take of "Theed Palace Arrival."

I'm also considering ripping "Wesa Going Home" from the DVD because the take used in the film was never released...

I know what you're all thinking... "More, yousa say?"

You are under no obligation to download these but they are things I hope to add to the album as well... not sure where yet but we'll see.

I'll give the unedited score a few more listens. I can see why people like it more than the UE, but the changes just don't seem that bad (to me). Considering how much bitching has been done about the UE I just expected something completely different. Sorry.

I like the ideas of the alternates cues and the unused cues by John Williams because it shows me that which cues would work better with a particuliar scenes and which doesn't. But hey it's John Williams. They're all good cues whether it's the film version or alternate or unused.

I have listen to disk 1 and a bit of disk 2 and so far I am liking it way better then the UE.

Hey Goodmusican,

now that we finished the complete score for episode I, are you guys are going to start working on the complete score for Episode II and III??

yes... and Damo, I'm not a mod here, but I am a mod at other sites... one of my pet peeves is people who double post. I really try not to... but you do it alot. There's an edit button. Maybe use it?

As far as Episode II, it's actually half way done. It's not going to be nearly as great as this was... but we do what we can.

I'd be very interested in Episodes 2 and 3. :)

Was there actual new music recorded for the Battle of Geonosis where all the music from Episode 1 was tracked in?

I'd be very interested in Episodes 2 and 3.  :)

Was there actual new music recorded for the Battle of Geonosis where all the music from Episode 1 was tracked in?

That's a good question....Why was there some music from Episode 1 in Episode II for the Battle of Geonosis ?

Only new music was the the Arena Battle theme and that was about it...

Which make me think that somehow John Williams got lazy with the work in Episode II compared to Episode I and III

because when George and Williams sat down and watched the film, they choose some areas in which to supplant with Episode I music. The arena was one such scene. Also, the whole Battle of Geonosis was thrown together quite late in the game, hence why there is so much tracked music in that sequence.

I remember reading old reports that there was no music for the Battle Of Geonosis or any where where the tracked TPM comes in. That was pre-planned just like the tracked TPM and AOTC music in ROTS.

Thats so lazy of them....I wanted John Williams to compose "new" music for the entire Battle Of Geonosis scene...

how could he? It hadn't been made yet...

John Williams doesn't compose to scripts... he composes to film. He has to see the film. It's how we KNOW that the sequence in the beginning of ROTJ where Vader talks to Luke via the force was really shot because John Williams scored it...among other reasons.

But I can't think of really many times when he's composed to nothing...

I think the last thing he wrote for Episode II was the "On the Conveyor Belt."

I don't really know why tehy decided to track music in... Perhaps williams was busy and needed more time for other scores like Harry Potter...

For the most part he had seen the film when he spotted it with Lucas. I think with the parts with the tracked music with them mostly being CG they knew they wouldn't be finished by the time the spotting session came around with Lucas and Williams and that's why they decided to pre-plan it with tracked music.

This same reasoning could be applied to Revenge Of The Sith

What I was told (and from the CGI documentary on the ep2 dvd), was that the Geonosis battle was not completely finished and/or edited by the time Williams was to compose music for the scene. So, it got tracked music instead...

Now why there is so much tracked music besides that scene, I'm not entirely sure...

I thought I heard that the Dooku and Obi-Wan talking scene was one of the last scenes filmed. I imagine that could have been why that had tracked music.

I know the C3PO crap was also one of the last changes too - which is probably why we hear tracked stuff throughout the factory.

~Andy

I think it would be good to have an expanded AotC and RotS score available to those who can't edit the videogame files themselves...if it dosen't hurt the chances of Sony releasing a complete score somehow.

K.M.

It wouldn't be that hard for Sony to release the complete scores for the Prequels. The recording sessions for all three Prequels are saved digitally and most likely on a computer at Skywalker Ranch. All Lucasfilm has to do is get someone in and mix them to match the OT style scores, make covers and picture discs, then send them to Sony for sale and distrabution.

We just have to wait and see if next years box set (which I think is gonna happen) will contain the original intended editions for all three Prequels or not.

if it dosen't hurt the chances of Sony releasing a complete score somehow.

K.M.

It may make them release a complete edition.

Wasnt' the UE released because of bootlegs?

But they got it wrong...

Well,for all I know it could take forever for them to release it.We could still get a few RotS and AtoC cues from videogames untill then if the bootlegs remain not to visible.When the TPM bootlegs were popular they gave strict orders to the games department not to use unreleased music.

K.M.

Edit: By the way Demodex, read this page here.  The review that John Takis (who is a member of this board) did for the U.E. of TPM.  He pratically points out nearly everything wrong with that version of the score.

Thank you very much for the link. I can finally identify all these edits people were talking about. Once you know where they are they are much more obvious.

I'm just curious...it talks about the original score for the end of the pod race being used instead for the Gungan retreat. Is it known for sure that the music there was supposed to be pod race music, or is it implied based on where it is on the original soundtrack release?

It's weird trying to picture the pod race with that music now. Very interesting.

I will listen to the score you PM'ed me, Vosk, more. I'm sure it grow on me. :)

When the TPM bootlegs were popular they gave strict orders to the games department not to use unreleased music.

Just curious. Where is the source on that information?

Because if that is true, the game companies did not listen at ALL.

~Andy

...it talks about the original score for the end of the pod race being used instead for the Gungan retreat.  Is it known for sure that the music there was supposed to be pod race music, or is it implied based on where it is on the original soundtrack release?

Yup it's known for sure. The Sound featurette on the official Star Wars site show snippets of an earlier version of the pod race with the originally intended music, which was eventually used for the Gungans retreat scene.

They did, almost no unreleased music from AOTC was used in computer games.

Indeed. I hope though more unreleased music from AOTC appears in the next Star Wars games (after LEGO Star Wars II).

and also if you replace the cue as intended, which I have, it fits perfectly... in fact, it works great...

But I can see why they didn't use it as well.They wanted a lull in music right before Anakin crossed the finish line... which no amount of editing could afford them from the original track.

If you don't believe my pm Demodex, watch the feturettes on the DVD or online at the link... they show the scene with the music.

Also, again due to the videogames, a version of the cue with Tatooine percussion can be put together. This would also seem to validate the track's original intent.

I think it would be good to have an expanded AotC and RotS score available to those who can't edit the videogame files themselves...if it dosen't hurt the chances of Sony releasing a complete score somehow.

I'm planning on distributing my RotS score when I finish editing it. AotC too, possibly. It might be limited to MP3s on YouSendIt, but I'll see if I can get a real server for distribution.

Much appreciated! Looking forward to it :D

I just don't have the time to update my RotS edit with the better sounding soundfiles. I'll edit the changes though.

So, currently,I'm reuploading disks 1 and 3 (flac and mp3). If you havn't downloaded them yet, give it a few hours before you try as the new versions arn't ready yet..

"New Versions?" you ask. Well, yes. I've been going through some files and have decided to redo/supplement what's already available. So I had to take down the old packs and replace them with new ones.

After that's done, I will upload a small pack of 3 files which should be implemented thusly:

I found a better recording of the "Flag Parade (First Run)" from disk 1. THat file should be replaced with this new one.

The other two files should be placed in disk 3 as tracks 6 and 25. You will need to renumber your tracks though. Place track 6 in place of the old 6, then the orignal track 6 should become 7. Do this up until you get to track 23 (which will become 24). Then place the new track 25 in. The old track 24 should then be numbered 26 and so on and so on.

I will be uploading new versions of disks 1 and 3, and also two little packages. One will be the mp3 kit, and the other the Flac kit.

I am also uploading a new Updated Track listing (with a note from the author and also something to cover my ass as far as legality goes)... download that as well. It will help when you have to renumber disk 3...

Or! Just redownload disk 3...whichever is easier for you. Or don't bother lol. It's up to you.

The two tracks to be placed in disk 3 are alternate takes of two tracks.

The new track 6 is "Theed Palace Arrival (Alternate Take)."

The new track 25 is the film run of "Wesa Going Home." This run is never heard onthe albums but is obviously a different run as it has a rather obvious Cough right after the end of "Senator, This is Your Arnea," and right as "Wesa going Home" starts. It also lacks a low "boom" heard latter in the released versions.

Again, this is for people who REALLY want this to be complete. You don't have to download this package if you don't want to.

I'm planning on distributing my RotS score when I finish editing it. AotC too, possibly. It might be limited to MP3s on YouSendIt, but I'll see if I can get a real server for distribution.

Awesome. :D

If you don't believe my pm Demodex, watch the feturettes on the DVD or online at the link... they show the scene with the music.

PM? I haven't received one from you, unless you're other username is Vosk.

Sorry, I was thinking you were someone else I was pming. I had just told them that they'd named a file wrongly as "Anakin Defeats Sebulba" and that it was really "Gungan retreat," and similarly that "Gungan Retreat" had been misnamed and should be "Anakin Defeats Sebulba."

It was just a coincoidence that you happened to ask the same thing here I suppsoe... sorry

Anyways, I'm starting to wrap up work on Episode II. I'm contemplating making a new thread for that in a bit...that'll be available soon as well.

Does your AOTC work include all of the extra music that is available in high quality, too? I know it won't be complete, but I'm still interested in it if you plan on handing it out like you did for Episode I.

See, that's where it becomes difficult to say... and also because of the inevitable incomplete nature of the set, it will be somewhat lacking compared to this last release.

What I plan to do however is seperate most of the DVD rip from the clean material that we have. The tracked segments will be included but with "(Tracked)" at the end. I'm tempted to just leave everything that was tracked since so much was tracked... but I havn't entirely decided yet. I know forsure that I will include edits of the tracked Arena music as that was preplanned. It seems only fair.

But again, that's more for another thread at another time.

GM: I would recommend leaving the tracked music off, because it will be overwhelmed with Sound effects if taken off the DVD. And don't bother trying to edit them, there's little unreleased bits that mess with it, not to mention that the edits don't go together at all anyways. Of coruse, you do what you want, but I would advise you to think twice, because you could be wasting your time working on those aspects, at least in regard to the Arena sequence.

The majority of tracked stuff is from Episode 1, therefore you can get clean versions without sound effects.

I think everyone pretty much knows how I feel, but I would love a complete set of Episode 2 including the tracked music where it appears in the film.

Well, the problem is this:

Episode II's score is tracked and edited to the point of perversion. I can't make any blanket statements on weither I'm going to use every bit of tracked music or not becuase...well... there is no real answer until I go through it and decide.

I started Episode II long before I did Episode I. I have, in essence, finished it. But, I'm going back now and checking files and edits.

The problem is that so little is released, and so much is tracked that I can't make heads or tails on a lot of things so a lot of the DVD rip moments will be just plain DVD rips with all the film edits and changes intact.

Then you have the problem of the synth instruments that they inserted into the score at points... such as a harp gliss I've run into countless times...

Then you have the simply poor presentation of the score. There is SOOo much hiss that it sounds like an OT score. It's really nuts... and there is no reason for this and it shouldn't be this way... but it is...

So, I have that to deal with as well. I want to rebalance the tracks but they are proving less co-operative compared to the Episode I tracks.

As far as the Arena music... I don't know what to think about it because it was planned to be that way... and is, in essence, still a part of the overall effect of the score... The problem is without the arena music, you may as well just listen to your ALbum release...

In essence, what I'm going to be making will be an augmented "Film Edit" of the score... Augmented in that things we have that arn't in the film version of the score will be included as well.

So... there ya go... there's a lot going into this,and alot of little decisions that have to be made...But again... this is a talk for another day in another thread...