What score should won?

CharlieSherry

What score should won?  

53 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Lord of the Rings was a good choice
    • Harry Potter deserved it because of his magic theme!
    • A.I. because Williams make something really strange with his music in that one
    • A Beautiful Mind for his Original and haunting theme
    • Monsters Inc. because the jazz is a style that Academy likes

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Potter! LOTR was great, but didn't have HP's magic. The music from A Beautiful Mind worked sensationally well in the movie, even more so than any of the other candidates, but it loses points because it's derivated from Bicentenial Man, and Sneakers, and...

A.I. Artificial Intelligence, of course.

You wrote: "A.I. because Williams make something really strange with his music in that one".

I don't think that's the reason. He should have won the Oscar because it was the best score. It had an incredible emotional development. I think it was like CE3K in its pretentions.

And the only strange thing: Mecha World and Moon Rising techno part.

The piano/cello/soprano part is much better. And only for this, it deserved an Oscar.

I suppose we're talking about the Oscars? FOTR, then. Shore totally deserves his Oscar. It doesn't have the magic of Potter, because that wouldn't fit the movie. Potter should have won a Grammy though, it's better as far as pure music is concerned.

Marian - who still doubts anyone else could have written a more appropriate score for FOTR.

:) Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith)

I suppose we're talking about the Oscars? FOTR, then. Shore totally deserves his Oscar. It doesn't have the magic of Potter, because that wouldn't fit the movie. Potter should have won a Grammy though, it's better as far as pure music is concerned.

Marian - who still doubts anyone else could have written a more appropriate score for FOTR.

:music: Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith)

:):):):pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface::pukeface:

Nonsense: Harry Potter a grammy and not an Oscar due to its purity (eh?) ?

FOTR deserved that oscar? :pukeface:

A more appropiate composer for the LOTR trilogy: JOHN WILLIAMS

NO DOUBT

A more appropiate composer for the LOTR trilogy: JOHN WILLIAMS

NO DOUBT

He doesn't read scripts. Unless he's read the books countless of times, he wouldn't understand the story well enough to come up with an appropriate score.

I'd absolutely love to hear a Williams FOTR score, and I'm sure it would be great music - but it wouldn't be as good a Tolkien score as Shore's.

He doesn't read scripts.

Isn't that the great power of Williams? That he doesn't know what is coming, just as the public? I think that he has said that somewhere...

It's certainly his strenght in some cases. But I also think it's a weakness for a so-called "trilogy" like LOTR (I agree with those who say that it is NO trilogy). There are so many themes in the book, and so many connections. Few of them are clear when you only read/see the first book/movie, and still only few when you've read the whole thing but not Tolkien's other writings. There's a lot in Shore's score that shows he knows all the background stories and history stuff. In this case, the film and dialogue are like the more obvious story Tolkien wrote, and the music is the details in the way he writes and describes things, many of which I didn't notice the first few times when I read the books.

The same is probably even true for Potter - JKR keeps hinting at things and only a few books later we find out that there was anything special about them in the first place...but at least each book works on it's own in her case (where FOTR isn't a book or film of it's own, it's just the first third of a whole thing). Plus I myself obviously don't know what'll turn out to be important in the next books, so I don't care if the composer doesn't know either in this case. :)

Wickenstein: Oh yes, FF certainly should have been nominated, too.

:music: Rambo III (Jerry Goldsmith)

I went for A.I., for me, the best of the year.

Regarding Williams being best for LotR:FotR... Yes, he usually don't read scrips, and he usually don't visit the sets... Neverthe less that as happened ocasionally.

And Im sure he know the Tolkien books, since they are so famous and Williams loves to read... That was the mais reason he went for Angela's Ashes. He had read the book and loved it so much, when he knew a film was being made he wanted to score it.

A.I. of course, great score from a great composer for a great film <- Please refrain commentary on the last thing, I already know YOUR opinion. :music:

Shore's FOTR better than the hypothetical Williams' FOTR?!?! Come on. Williams is a better composer, if he doesnt read scripts he is ever greater! I dont' think that if Shore read LOTR many times, that could surpass Williams talent and exprerience... And damn, he would have seen the recorded movie, and image is worth 1000 words :).

Anyways, Shore didn't deserved to win the Oscar, it was his FIRST nomination...

Luke, thinking that FOTR chorus hurt.

I think Marian is saying better in the film, not the album.

Yes. That's why I would have given a Grammy to Potter. Grammies should be about the pure music, while the Oscars should be about the score in the film, I believe.

Luke: In LOTR's case, there's two reasons why knowing the whole thing is important. 1) There are many important things in the first book that aren't recognizeable until you know the end and 2) there's a lot in it that isn't recognizeable at all if you haven't read Tolkien's other works, yet it's important to the way it works etc.

But I'm sure Williams would love writing music for Lorien and the Ents. :music:

I think that Harry Potter should have won because it's my favorite, which darn well should have had some impact on the way they voted. :music: I think that it has great melodies (plural), very effective underscore, and it was written by John Williams. However, LOTR is a good score, too. In fact, it has great melodies (plural) and very effective underscore, but it wasn't written by John Williams.

~Conor

A joke :music: I still think that Pooter should have won. I actually am a sort of fan of Howard Shore. I have his score to Panic Room, and I like SOTL. I also think that Dogma was a pretty neat score. LOTR is my favorite of his, but HP is more favori...

~Conor

I can't vote on this because I don't view the AI score as "strange" ... the only thing unusual in Williams' own words is the extensive use of electronics... if you mean incredibly moving, powerful, beautiful, appropriate music... then i would vote.

Quote:  

He doesn't read scripts.  

Isn't that the great power of Williams? That he doesn't know what is coming, just as the public? I think that he has said that somewhere...

Marian had the right idea by pointing out that someone has to read TLOTR trilogy to understand Tolkien's underlying themes. It is sad that nearly all of Tolkien's original elvish poems and stories were cut from the film and the music, but the lyrics that were written used Tolkien's languages, so it's all good. Williams, however, would probably have used Latin or Sanskrit, like for Duel of the Fates, and that would be totally un-Tolkien like.

Shore's score was much better than anything Williams could've written, and besides, it wasn't at all like what Horner would've written. He'd have done a cut and paste score from the last two decades, using the same chords from the sinking of Titanic every time the Ring was on screen.

I'm of the opinion that Williams would not have created a good score at all for Lord of the Rings, that kind of score is not in his vein. It's one thing to make a happy-joy-joy-like score for Harry Potter or Hook, but TLOTR is in a different category of fantasy altogether, a very dark and allegorical story that takes itself very seriously, not the tired and cliched wizards witches with broomsticks and magic wands.

Give Williams small, minor movies from now on, let him finish Star Wars and Indy and however many more overrated Potters we have to muddle through, but give brand new epics to the up and coming composers.

Shore's score was much better than anything Williams could've written
I'm of the opinion that Williams would not have created a good score at all for Lord of the Rings
Give Williams small, minor movies from now on, let him finish Star Wars and Indy and however many more overrated Potters we have to muddle through, but give brand new epics to the up and coming composers.

:mrgreen:

:?

:lol2:

Ray Barnsbury

Here you have two composers for FOTR:

Basil Poledouris

James Newton Howard

I think they would have done a great work.

And Alex North.......if this film had been done twenty years ago......it would have been one of the best score ever........oh, yes........Oh! :wow: This film was done twenty-five years ago! Leonard Rosenman!!!!! What a great score!!!!

scissorhands - always defending Rosenman's LOTR

A.I. deserved it, even though LOTR:FOTR and HP were both awesome and incredibly deserving. I was happy if any of these three won.

Director - hoping Johnny will have better luck in the future

It wasn't until I saw FOTR on DVD that I found a new appreciation for the score. It truly brings the Tolkien world to life and has a lot of power to it.

Before that, I thought Shore did an OK job with the music. BUt I was able to really feel that cue when the Fellowship is formed. That's some damn fine music.

AI moved me tremendously when I first saw it, and it still does. It gave Williams a chance to do some new things ("The Moon Rising"), try out some of his old stuff (developing a theme to a lush performance at the end), and create some fantastic music for "The Mecha World," which was immediately one of my favorite cues written in 2001.

Harry Potter was a great score. I never paid much attention to the "Hook" references that everyone talked about, nor did I care. It fit the film wonderfully, and made the enjoyment level that much higher.

So which film deserved the Oscar? FOTR, if only for the amount of dedication Shore put into the score.

While I would have liked A.I. to win, I didn't have a problem with LOTR taking the trophy for Shore, even though I'm not much of a Tolkien fan. In fact, I fell asleep THREE times watching it in the theatre, something that rarely, if ever happens!

I would think the score won for the same reason why Star Wars won. It was the sort of film that reached a national consciousness and the music really enhanced the experience moreso.

I would think the score won for the same reason why Star Wars won.  It was the sort of film that reached a national consciousness and the music really enhanced the experience moreso.

You really think that? Star Wars' score was incredibly memorable and certainly enhanced the movie. Fellowship of the Ring didn't have anything like that going for it.

Neil

Off course that is just your opinion, which is as valid or invalid as my own, which is that I think the score works wonders in the film.

Stefancos- who wants to reinstall AIM so he can chat with Neil, but can't find a place to DL it. :oops:

For me, it would have been a toss-up between A.I., Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. The one that is the most fun to listen to is without a doubt Potter. Classic Williams through and through, a fantastic main theme, beautiful harmonic arrangements, etc etc. Lord of the Rings is not as quickly rewarding as Potter is: the main theme isn't as forcefully developed and there is a lack of a truly killer cue.

A.I., on the other hand, is the hardest, initially, to like. It seems rather athematic, much like Minority Report. But if there is any sense in the world, A.I. will one day become one of the most revered scores in history. Its nothing like old-school Williams, yet its unbelievably good. No competition.

Sorry but i find your lack of faith in John Williams disturbing and unbeliable!

I'm sure he would have done a better job, AND i'm sure he would have used the elven languages, (what in the hell makes you assume he wouldn't?!?) AND the chorus would be listenable (as in all Williams' movies)

Luke, very upset :thumbup:

I would think the score won for the same reason why Star Wars won.  It was the sort of film that reached a national consciousness and the music really enhanced the experience moreso.

You really think that? Star Wars' score was incredibly memorable and certainly enhanced the movie. Fellowship of the Ring didn't have anything like that going for it.

Neil

FOTR score is quite memorable and certainly enhanced the movie. And Luke, he said he doesn't read scripts, though he usually reads novels, Marian. :thumbup:

Yes, but how many times did he read LOTR? And Tolkien's other writings? Once isn't enough to write a Tolkien score. :cool:

You speaking of Tolkien as a director, (isnt it Peter Jackson?)... :thumbup:

Anyways, i still think Williams can do a better work anywhere and everytime.