I like the first 10 second buildup to Ringwraiths chant too. But the chant itself still takes me out of the picture.

Pretty similar, but not the same.

The eagles rescue scene on the other hand, is ripped right off the pages of Isengard Unleashed/Theoden Rides Forth, right down to the Gandalf material.

It is pretty much the same:

"Prologue":

Descending Third/Nazgul Theme counterpoint - Sauron Theme - Nazgul Theme - Footsteps of Doom.

AUJ Cue:

Descending Third/Nazgul Theme Counterpoint - Nazgul Theme (with the final note messed up) - Elegiac Material - Footsteps of Doom.

The orchestration is more "beefy"/epic sounding in the AUJ cue, I'll give you that.

That poster is silly as hell.

It would probably have more impact, had Bilbo not been portrayed as an adventurer from the beginning. That ship has pretty much sailed since the 007-poster that was used for the AUJ OST.

It is pretty much the same:

"Prologue":

Descending Third/Nazgul Theme counterpoint - Sauron Theme - Nazgul Theme - Footsteps of Doom.

AUJ Cue:

Descending Third/Nazgul Theme Counterpoint - Nazgul Theme (with the final note messed up) - Elegiac Material - Footsteps of Doom.

The orchestration is more "beefy"/epic sounding in the AUJ cue, I'll give you that.

The elegiac material sounds like it was temp tracked with the Retreat from TTT. And of course this is then followed by the Forth Eorlingas/Theoden Rides Forth temp tracked Eagle Rescue.

It was the result of a joke between me and Bloodboal, a parody about Inappropriate music choices for that scene.

Gandalf poster:

10320268_734614616574146_140846870560478

Would it kill them to make Gandalf confident for once?

Yeah! I need a new avatar image and these wimpy all beaten up Gandalfs are just unsuitable!

Looks like the poster for a horror film!

This made me angrily remember how, if these films had been done with a level of subtlety and finesse that we know PJ was at least once capable of, the Dol Guldur sequences could have been fantastically horrific/suspenseful.

This made me angrily remember how, if these films had been done with a level of subtlety and finesse that we know PJ was at least once capable of, the Dol Guldur sequences could have been fantastically horrific/suspenseful.

Now now let us not be negative. Lord Stefan the Cat Tamer has forbidden such grim thoughts.

It looks great in DOS!

Surely you jest?

Steef, I understand that we tend to whine and bitch too much, but surely you must agree that DoS is the worst looking film of the 5. Aside from the awful colour grading (this movie had the most green of the five I think), the artificial look of it all, a lot of the plausibility is gone. The strange thing is, the trailers had much better colour grading than the final product.

DoS has some great effects, but overall, is the worst looking film of the franchise.

I wish there was a way to see the original trilogy without any color grading at all. Only the old FOTR theatrical cut DVD is anything close to that

I wish there was a way to see the original trilogy without any color grading at all. Only the old FOTR theatrical cut DVD is anything close to that

Except for all the grading. You would need to go back to the original teaser from 2000 to avoid it entirely.

ROTK does look rather yellow.

RotK definitely suffered from it. But by and large, it's impressive shots still hit you hard, compared to DoS, which all looks like it came from a computer. This probably has once again, something to do with location shooting vs. in-studio.