And thank fuck for that!

I mean, what was PJ thinking? That Radagast's antics would send shivers of joy down Rings fans' backs? If he apologized for the stuff on audio commentary, didn't he know beforehand it was probably unwise?

But isn't that the darkest part of Bilbo's adventure anyway? Mirkwood and encounter with Smaug. Plus they added the Dol Guldur in there so naturally the tone is dark. Plus the whole Hobbit by PJ has a darker edge to it. So dark is good, silly bird-poop wizard is bad. Especially when he is as useful as a bag of rocks.

I must be one of the few who doesnt mind the bird poo at all.

I am sure SafeUnderHill swoops to your rescue on this Stefan.

I am not a fan of the whole Radagast design but while watching the documentaries it became clear PJ chose only the third or fourth outrageous design. I guess I should be glad Radagast doesn't have bird seeds in his mouth for the birdies to feed on like in one design.

I hope they'll show some more serious side of Radagast in BOFA as we have seen glimpses of him actually taking care of business in the past.

It bothered me like hell during pre-production of AUJ. But once I saw the film, I kind of got where PJ was trying to go with the character, and I didn't mind so much, even liked it a bit. Guess I was more distracted by Azog.

Well I didn't think so during the film. I think it was probably my only major issue with AUJ (aside from other minor things). Then it got a lot worse in DoS.

Yeap. That's the main problem from which so many others stem with these films.

The design and build of the thing, along with Bombour's costume is bloody brilliant.

By the way, I saw an interview where Sylvester McCoy speculates that they toned down the Radagast humour in DOS after the reception to AUJ. I can provide a link if anyone's interested. This seems possible seeing as Mckellen said that there's always fun when Radagasts around in an Empire DOS interview, presumably any jokes were cut.

Actually I would appreciate a link to this.

I had no problem with Radagast's first scene in AUJ. The stick insect bit and 'these are Rhosgobel rabbits...' line are my main gripes. Aside from those bits I have no real problem with him.

Agreed SUH. Great theme that was unnecessarily excised.

And Bilbo it's more the way he did it that upsets fans.

Yeah, from BB's score restoration videos, you really tell how the music adda to quirky character.

I feel like PJ was bothered by the instrumentation. Pity the theme had to be cut out entirely, even the subtler statements that came later in the score (ex. Warg Scouts)

PJ adds moments where the tone is similar to LotRs = upset fans.

PJ adds moments which are lighthearted and fun like the original novel = upset fans.

He obviously did so in the wrong places! PJ is such a doofus!

And there are ways of making film more lighthearted without resorting to inanities!

Yeah, from BB's score restoration videos, you really tell how the music adda to quirky character.

I feel like PJ was bothered by the instrumentation. Pity the theme had to be cut out entirely, even the subtler statements that came later in the score (ex. Warg Scouts)

Which subtler ones? That statement in Warg Scouts is what makes the track so good to listen to.

Well there are those other elements too which at least to me make the track an interesting listen, not just those quick references of the Radagast's theme.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about SUH. But that statement was strangely removed from film too.

Although some kind of quasi-version still underscores Radagast sprinting through the woods in Mirkwood.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about SUH. But that statement was strangely removed from film too.

Although some kind of quasi-version still underscores Radagast sprinting through the woods in Mirkwood.

And again when Bilbo is running from the caves to rejoin the company (obviously not Shore's intent of course).

Does the theme actually play there, or is it just the percussive bits?

I think there is that kind of string arppegio thingy that somewhat resembles the original concept especially the eerie rising and falling passage which seems to connect to the moments Radagast realizes that something is wrong with the forest, also featured on the boyschoir at the beginning of the piece on the OST after the Gandalf material.

And also when Bilbo is running from the caves to rejoin the company...

I think Doug would say "similar but not the same". ;)

Yes the escape from Dol Guldur and the Trollshaw scene before the warg attack contains Radagast's theme but otherwise it is pretty much dialed out or re-scored. PJ obviously decided not to use it much for whatever reason.

Be nice if Shore was able to work some of it for BOTFA. He did sneak the spider theme back in for DoS, despite it being omitted from AUJ, so there's some precedent.

And the White Tree theme appeared in Lothlórien, when Boromir speaks about Minis Tirith to Aragorn.

Yeah the Minas Tirith (Silver Trumpets) theme was featured first there. I just realized that it was completely absent from the TTT before rising to prominence in RotK where it further transformed into Gondor Reborn. That rendition heard under Boromir's speech in Lothlórien is one of my favourite musical moments in FotR. Not only does it enhance the words but also works beautifully on its own.

The way the Gondor theme was dropped from FotR in two other places (Prologue and Argonath) really illustrates well how the music was constantly in flux with the ways the film makers wanted to emphasize certain subtexts and how they continually revised their views and connotations while creating these films. It is testament to Shore's hard work that he actually managed to react to these changes and to revise and rework and re-envision the necessary changes during the scoring process so that they didn't have to resort to mere tracking most of the time (yes yes Faleel there was that too. Who could forget those History of the Ring theme moments?).

And the White Tree theme appeared in Lothlórien, when Boromir speaks about Minis Tirith to Aragorn.

Yeah the Minas Tirith (Silver Trumpets) theme was featured first there. I just realized that it was completely absent from the TTT before rising to prominence in RotK where it further transformed into Gondor Reborn. That rendition heard under Boromir's speech in Lothlórien is one of my favourite musical moments in FotR. Not only does it enhance the words but also works beautifully on its own.

I concur. I've always found the scene extremely moving. The writing, Bean's acting, and, of course, the music, are all wonderful.

Ah Tauriel, at the same time the nightmare and sweet dream of Tolkien fans everywhere.