He looks nothing like I pictured from reading the book, but fits in the style of everything else in these movies

He looks nothing like I pictured from reading the book

He looks nothing like anyone pictured when reading the book because he doesn't fit the description at all. Of course, that doesn't mean no one will like/love his design.

I suspect they ditched the idea of a long black beard because Beorn would have reminded too much a dwarf, a gigantic one at that but still a dwarf. Also there seems to be a fear of the beard limiting the actor's ability to emote and his face being lost in the beard, which also seemed to be the reason to make e.g. Thorin short bearded. Sadly they went for the side whisker thingie for Beorn, which makes him look like a badger to me for some reason. :P

Hey check out this thread on TORN. Seems like PJ messed up the order of scenes in the AUJ EE in terms of the new Rivendell stuff, creating a continuity error. I remember Faleel and BloodBoal had opinions on this before the EE came out

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=96668285&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_latest_reply%3Bso%3DASC%3Bpost%3D665048=View+Flat+Mode#665048

Also there seems to be a fear of the beard limiting the actor's ability to emote and his face being lost in the beard, which also seemed to be the reason to make e.g. Thorin short bearded.

Yeah, because we can't see a damn thing when McKellen is acting. Nobody has ever praised his performance as Gandalf.

What a load of bullshit.

Yes I know but I was rather refering to how the film makers must have thought about it when they designed some of the dwarves and Beorn. If you remember they had very different versions of Thorin's beard design some longer than the others and went for the short one. I can't see any reason why a beard or several bearded characters should be a problem in terms of recognition and acting.

I wonder who the Guy with the camera is supposed to be in the story ;)

John R Rateliff on the Hobbit EE:

http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2013/11/give-peter-jackson-money-day.html

http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-extended-edition-summing-up.html

Well I have been watching the EE last night and extras today. Quite an enjoyable release although they have created the Appendixes with different structure than before. The sad part is the previously reported lack of a true music documentary, the Songs of Middle Earth focusing on the songs featured in the film with a few token mentions of Howard Shore along the way (thank you for that Doug!). The added and extended footage in the prologue, the Shire and in Rivendell with Bilbo and Gandalf and Elrond were welcome, even though the dwarven humour and Great Goblin song were extremely cringe worthy.

But the Hobbit AUJ EE set is a fine successor to the LotR EEs in content and design.

Big oversized domestic rabbits dont go jumping and running anyway.

Oh yes that bit of the documentary was funny. Even the crew thought PJ was pulling their leg when he introduced his idea for the bunny sled.

I saw the EE last night and enjoyed it. Like the LOTR's EEs this is going to be the version I watch from now on. I can see why people don't like the Goblin song but I kind of do. The extra Rivendell stuff alone was worth it though. I'll dig into the appendices over the next few weekends starting later today.