Can't watch videos from here, but for the BluRay, there is a glossy paper sleeve that covers the top and back of the case only (which has the contents of the discs on it). Under that sleeve is the outer cardboard slipcover that looks kind of like a picture frame, with the cover art slightly inset, and on the back no writing, just a Middle-Earthy design of some sort (not familiar, sorry) - and then within that is a plastic standard Blu-ray snap case, colored black instead of blue - with the same artwork from the front slipcover, and the same contents/promo info on the back from the paper sleeve. There is no booklet.

BTW, if you're in the US, Wal-Mart has the Blu-ray for $19.99 right now, which is $5 cheaper than Amazon or Best Buy - this price is also good online. I couldn't find Target's prices in their ads so I didn't drive out of my way to check it out.

Hmmm, no. There is a "hole" in the slipcase, and the "picture on the front" (the poster with Bilbo) is the actual Blu-Ray cover.

This is inaccurate, at least in the case of my copy. The picture is part of the slipcover, although it is inset (I assumed it was the actual Blu cover before I took it out of the case). The picture on the cover of the actual Blu is the same as the slipcover.

Hmmm, no. There is a "hole" in the slipcase, and the "picture on the front" (the poster with Bilbo) is the actual Blu-Ray cover.

This is inaccurate, at least in the case of my copy. The picture is part of the slipcover, although it is inset (I assumed it was the actual Blu cover before I took it out of the case). The picture on the cover of the actual Blu is the same as the slipcover.

Ah, OK. It did seem to me that there was a hole in the slipcase. My bad!

I'm glad the picture is part of the slipcase, since, given the material the slipcase is made out of, it would have been very unsturdy and easy to bend if that front panel weren't there. The quality of the cover's material is somewhere between the average thin/flimsy slipcover that comes on a lot of Blus and the nice sturdy box from each the LOTR EE DVDs.

Me too. No Shore is a major bummer, but that doesn't mean the other 6 hours aren't worth watching. Looking forward to the unreleased music! And the Edge of the Wild version on strings. I always wanted that ripped.

There are steelbook versions but at least one doesn't include the 2D version which means no commentary. There also seems to be store exclusives out there that have no extras.

There are steelbook versions but at least one doesn't include the 2D version which means no commentary. There also seems to be store exclusives out there that have no extras.

The UK/IRL one has 3D and 2D so it's all good :D Can't wait to watch it next Friday night.

Thanks for the info!

On other news, a TORN member combined the banners for AUJ and DOS into one mega banner!

Link to the thread: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=96453325&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_time%3Bso%3DDESC%3Bpost%3D663461=View+Flat+Mode#663461

It's relatively well done (even though Orcrist seems to come out of the tree, which is kind of weird).

I don't like that he made the picture of Gandalf talking to Beorn so small. That's the best panel out of all of them!

Whilst I was over there is came across this. Some optimisim! http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?guest=96453325&do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_time%3Bso%3DDESC%3Bpost%3D663217=View+Flat+Mode#663217

From the replies

He even went to the length of saying "I do apologize" numerous times in the commentary - CLEARLY aware of AUJ's "deficiencies." One such was the overlong beginning.

I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, I think it's good PJ acknowledges the film's flaws, but on the other hand, it makes me think: "Then why did he let that happen??"

You are talking about the man who saw Return of the King for the first time in full at the premiere.

I got the blu-ray steel book version of EE.

I thought there was no steelbook version (at least, that's what TORN members seem to say).

Well I'm holding it in my hands, and it includes full commentary, the 3D version (not that i need it) and. everything. I'll take and post pictures later.

The LOTR films have always had "eerie" sound effects, for example, listen to the "Invention of Golf" scene, the ambient sound (which does not stand out so much when watching it on a TV) really stands out in headfones.

Kiran Shah voices Yazneg right?

I don't think these are supposed to be trees. More likely stone shaped to look like trees, as suggested by Faleel.

I think the whole thing looks fake. I don't know if it's the light or something, but all this communicates to me is "we're on a set".