Favorite Basil Poledouris score

Romão

Im talking about that part in Stealing the Enterprise which I call Hymn to Captain Kirk when he tells the

crew he and Dr McCoy have to do this the rest of you do not.  Starts at the 3:12 mark to 3:49 mark.

Brilliant, as is the whole 8+ min track.

I don't know, every time that track starts for me, I feel like hearing the full Prokofiev piece. Although I guess it is a darn good cue once it gets started.

As to the topic at hand, unfortunately I never seriously explored any of BP's scores aside from Conan and Red October. Of the two, Conan is easily the superior one, October is brought down by some unimpressive synth material, although, when it's cooking, it's cooking. I think 'Nuclear Scam' is one of the finest cues I've eve heard. I've perused through several other scores of his, but never really gave them the listens they deserved. I know I love Lonesome Dove, Les Miserables, Starship Troopers, Free Willy, Robocop, Jungle Book and Kimberly. Either way, I loved knowing he was out there, especially after seeing the FSM doc, which I plan on watching again in the next few days.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely ADORE his score to Flesh + Blood. If any one of his scores deserved an Oscar, this was it. People always try to say it's a counterpart to Conan the Barbarian but they are absolutely wrong. While both have a lot of action, Conan was action with several flurries of beauty here and there. The action was quite blatant and harsh (in a very good way) and the beauty cues were fairly Hollywood traditional.

Flesh + Blood on the other hand is a very, very thematically complex and elegant score. The action cues, which I realized were "classic Poledouris" upon my first listen, are some of the best I've ever heard ("The Box" and "Arnolfini Assault" rank among the best cues ever written in my opinion) and Poledouris managed to counterbalance all the intricate and perplexing action setpieces with a strong set of beautiful cues. ("Courtship and Mandrake" as well as "Martin and Agnes' Love Theme" are some of the strongest, as well as the excellent rendition of the Steven and Agnes love theme that comes before the end credits)

Poledouris also intricately mixed themes to express the situation the characters are placed in during the film. The theme for Martin and Agnes plays as a perfect countermelody to the battle ostinato during "Castle Invasion" and Hawkwood's theme blends perfectly with the rest of the finale in "Denoument and End Title".

In short, this score is an epic whose only shortcoming are the two limited releases that it was given. This score deserves much more recognition than it will ever get. The absolute genius action cues and sheer gorgeous qualities of the love themes ("Martin and Agnes' Love Theme" is a track that any composer would sell a limb to have written and gets me every time) contained in Flesh + Blood make it a testament to all that film scoring should be and has sadly lost in the recent years.

There will never be another Poledouris, and this score proves it.

"Conan", "Starship Troopers" and "Les Misérables".

I've recently (6 months ago or so) found out one of his most lovely scores, "Kimberly". The main theme is so sweet :P

That would be now among my favorite Poledouris scores. Too bad almost nobody has heard (of) it.

Another of BP's scores that hasn't gotten a mention here is For the Love of the Game. It isn't a knock your socks off score, but it is very good.

Conan seemed very dumb to me. It's fun to watch for Schwarzenegger's attempts at English, but those only occur every 30 minutes or so.

But Starship Troopers... that's a brilliant satire, one of the best I've seen. To any Germans reading this who might only know the dub: Don't be fooled, they replaced tons of dialogue. Nearly like taking a WW2 movie and making the Nazis "less bad".

That reminds me, the ST DVD has an iso score track with Poledouris commentary, which I haven't yet watched. I should do that soon.

:P Flesh+Blood

It's amazing.

I don't know all of the (80) films he scored but films mentioned in this thread

(conan , robocob , starship troopers etc.) are almost all from my list "50 the most terrible films".

Blahh, you just didn't get the social satire.

You'll miss out on so many good scores if you skip them because of the movie or base them on how poor the film was.

That's why I do not associate the scores with the films. I listen to them and enjoy them seperated from the film.

You'll miss out on so many good scores if you skip them because of the movie or base them on how poor the film was.

That's why I do not associate the scores with the films. I listen to them and enjoy them seperated from the film.

In a lot of cases, that's perfectly true. It's just that I only quite liked THFRO score when I listened to it, but after I watched the film, I liked it a lot more.

In some cases, though, a bad film actually puts me off a score I previously liked! It works both ways...

I love a couple of tracks from The Touch, need to get to know that score better.

America has some great moments, and Cherry 2000 has a great theme as well.

Flyers has some beautiful moments too, 2 mins 22 into The Carrier / Coming Home especially.

I absolutely adore the Conan score, and I´ve never watched the movie.

Romão, who also thinks Starship troopers is a much better movie than it may seem.

Lonesome Done, no doubt about it.

The opening track is one of those pieces that live in my heart.

I agree totally. It is simple but very effective. also the underscore where Call Leaves Lonesome Dove at the end of the film is brilliant.

A great loss. This must be the reason we haven't heard a new Poudouris score for sometime.

May the wind be at his back.