Grade PotC: The Dead Man's Chest by Hans Zimmer

BLUMENKOHL

How would you grade...the soundtrack that must not be named.  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• A+ (100%)
    • A (95%)
    • A- (90%)
    • B+ (89%)
    • B (85%)
    • B- (80%)
    • C+ (79%)
    • C (75%)
    • C- (70%)
    • D+ (69%)
    • D (65%)
    • D- (60%)
    • F (0%)

It had to be done...love it (is that possible?), tolerate it, or hate it, this was one of the big releases of 2006...

Thus far, the JWFAN.net community has rated:

Lady in the Water by James Newton Howard A-

X-Men: The Last Stand by John Powell B

The Da Vinci Code by Hans Zimmer B-

Superman Returns by John Ottman C-

All the Kings Men by James Horner D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new little ditty for Jack Sparrow isn't too bad, but gets repetitive as it has no variation. And it's not enough to prevent the score getting the F it deserves.

Which is better than the first score, which deserves a G at best. Maybe even an H.

It hurt my ears, gave me a headache for several hours after seeing the film, and trampled out any goodness the film might have had.

From those alone, I have to give it the worst grade.

I gave it a "C-" - still an awful lot of autopilot sections, but with some moments that lift it way above the dreariness of some of his more recent scores.

It hurt my ears, gave me a headache for several hours after seeing the film, and trampled out any goodness the film might have had.

From those alone, I have to give it the worst grade.

Just thinking about it make my ears hurt.

Burga - who is wondering who gave it an A+

Yes, I was wondering that myself. One would think someone would do that just to rile us up. But said someone can't do said riling without revealing themselves. So come on, fess up so we can suddenly have another pointless 3 page Zimmer thread.

I was considering not saying anything, but I stand by my decisions... I gave it an A+. I loved the damn thing. I loved it in the movie and I love the CD. Don't get me wrong though, I love orchestral scores as much as the next person. But I love the new themes, the old themes, and even the underscore. I don't get hung up on "what could/should have been." And do I think it's the best score ever? Hell no, I just love it!

Now go ahead, call me an idiot, call me misguided, "Bondo... it figures!", whatever. It's not a popularity contest. ;)

Both Davy Jones' theme and the new Sparrow theme were excellent additions, especially the unreleased cue of just the organ playing the Davy Jones theme.

I was considering not saying anything, but I stand by my decisions... I gave it an A+. I loved the damn thing. I loved it in the movie and I love the CD. Don't get me wrong though, I love orchestral scores as much as the next person. But I love the new themes, the old themes, and even the underscore. I don't get hung up on "what could/should have been." And do I think it's the best score ever? Hell no, I just love it!

Now go ahead, call me an idiot, call me misguided, "Bondo... it figures!", whatever. It's not a popularity contest.  ;)

Hey, I may disagree with you, but that's been your consitent position from the start and is your honest opinion, and I respect that. I figured it was just some troll trying to cause trouble. You go right ahead, but you're still wrong. ;)