Prometheus to release new Goldsmith and Poledouris CDs

BigMacGyver

Prometheus records will soon release a complete version of Goldsmith's King Solomon's Mines (including never before heard source music) and a complete version of Basil Poledouris' music for Quigley Down Under.

Both albums can already be pre-ordered at screenarchives.com!

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=861

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=1123

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,King Solomon's Mines is certainly a great Goldsmith score,but will adding a few cues make a big differance.The existing c.d. is already over 1 hour.

K.M.

That might be true but there are people out there who might not want to spend 100 euros to aquire a copy of the old expanded re-issue which is hard to find these days. Same goes for the regular intrada release of quigley which is equally hard to find.

Fantastic! I've had Intrada's King Solomon's Mines CD on order from Amazon for... uhh.... two years. Nothing.

I can now cancel that order and buy this one, cheaper. :)

They've also released Platoon/Salvador (Georges Delerue) --

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=1095

To my konwledge it's one of the few all orchestral Jerry Goldsmith 80's adventure scores(no synths).

K.M.

According to FSM, it's his last score with no synths until 1995, so for the following ten years.

I noticed Sharon Stone was hot in that film years before she got popular and already too old.

according to a the thread about it at FSM,the extra cues are source music,and the music on the old intrada release was apparently not at the corrrect speed.

K.M.

You know Jerry cribs the Ride Of The Valkrys in that score, right?

Yep but it's done in fun for the character.

Anyone want my Intrada release for a decent price.....:)

Yes ,she was still hot in Basic Instinct ,but on the verge of beeing too old.

K.M.

It's not how old you are, but how foxy. And she was an ultra-fox. The only thing that would have been an improvement would have been her going back to her natural hair color.

What I mean is that she got her first major "star" role at the age of 35.There is still the key years of between 18 and 35 in which her hotness was largely unexploited.

Take by contrast Keira Knightly.She was discovered young and she still has years of hotness ahead of her.

K.M.

And what do you think of Stone in her fifties? Some say she now looks better than 14 years ago. When she's dressed, I mean. Because otherwise...you know... they did cut out a lot of her being naked from Basic instinct 2. Maybe there was a good reason for that... :D

Karol, who didn't remember about Basic Instinct 2 thing until this moment.

Lonesome Dove might be poledouris' best and most effective western score but quigley is simply more fun as a listening experience. The action stuff is so cool with an action motif/ostinato for big orchestral hits backed up by an insanely fast-paced racing banjo performance (if you heard Silvestri's van helsing traveling theme with that eastern european guitar thing you kind of know the concept), there is a nice love theme and a really entertaining, easy-going western main theme with a jaunty touch and this one is often used in the vein of big sky bernstein romanticism throughout the score.

I would say quigley is a definite poledouris must-have.

Definitely lonesome dove. If you don't have it yet, get it! It has two marvelous themes but is overall more on the romantic side, much on the contrary compared to quigley which also has romantic moments but is more an action adventure thing. Lonesome dove is perfect dramatic western scoring and rightfully earned poledouris his one and only emmy win (can you believe it? the man deserved so much more awards). There is an expanded album out there with the music of lonesome dove but its OOP and becoming hard to find as well. Buysoundtrax still has copies at a reasonable price:

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/londovorsoun.html

Another one, not really a pure western score but with strong western music touches and a western-like main theme is Cherry 2000. Not one of his best but definitely has its moments too. It's like an odd cross between western, romance and sci-fi.

Amanda is also a solid one. It's basically what basil did for free willy, just translated into a very light quasi-western score with intimate touches and not too much big stuff. That makes sence, since this is not primarily a western with cowboys etc but more about the relationship between a child and a horse. Good score but maybe not among his best.

I'll have to see about getting some of this.

I thoroughly enjoyed the short bits I've heard from Poledouris' The Legend of Butch & Sundance.

- Marc, who once used that score almost exclusively as music for a short film.

The Intrada release of King Solomon's Mines was mastered incorrectly; it plays too fast, resulting in incorrect pitch. The new Prometheus release has corrected this.

I didn't really miss anything on the previous King Solomon's Mines release; I found it very enjoyable. Still an improved version would be... welll... an improvement. 8O

Quigley Down Under and Lonesome Dove are western scores by Basil Poledouris? Nice. I don't have many western scores, nor much Poledouris, but I like both western scores and Poledouris. I should get these scores. :)

Guys, prometheus is still busy with more poledouris. This is the latest addition to my rumours section that comes from an inside source:

According to latest information from reliable sources, Prometheus records is currently working on a new CD release of the underestimated Poledouris' classic Conan The Destroyer (1984). It is not known yet wether this new release will feature the complete score or just expand on the material from the now hard to find original release but whatever amount of the score will be on it is expected to have improved sound quality. Further details are completely unknown at this time.

http://www.filmscorecenter.de/rumours.htm

lol, you know that this one turned out to be a re-recording which will come out soon.

It's rumours so they can't always be 100% accurate 8O

However I am very certain about destroyer because that one actually comes from a person with a direct connection to the label! But enough said already!

It's a decent effort, though it can't hold a candle to the score for the first film.

If a expanded score of it is released I'll probably pick it up. The film version of the main titles sounded a lot better then the CD one.

No the first one is in a class all by itself.

I'll get it as well.

-Mark, who notices his Varese section getting smaller with all the reissues on other labels.

-Mark, who notices his Varese section getting smaller with all the reissues on other labels.

Smaller by comparison, or are you selling off the old versions?

I've noticed that in the last year or so, FSM and Intrada are releasing far more great stuff than Varese.

Varese needs to start with re-recording scores with the Royal Scottish Orchestra again.

Agreed. I hope Intrada's Excalibur Collection gets going a bit faster too. In the mean time, this news is pretty exciting.

It's good news I suppose, but I'm by no means a Golden Age fan. Film Music for me doesn't really become interesting untill the 60's (save a few Hermann scores)

Bill Stromberg, Anna Bonn and I would like to announce the formation of a new record label: TRIBUTE FILM

CLASSICS. Our new label will continue recording great film music from the Golden Age through the Silver Age, and beyond.

;)

I'm excited that John Morgan said they plan on re-recording On Dangerous Ground.

I remember when Michael Kamen passed away Robert Townson had posted that he had discussed or planned on doing recordings with the RSNO and Kamen.

Maybe it became too expensive for Varese to continue.

I'm excited that John Morgan said they plan on re-recording On Dangerous Ground.

I'm actually quite happy with the FSM CD, though the better sound quality would be nice.

I think one of the key reasons I'm not so keen on Golden Age music as Silver Age, is sound quality. All About Eve is a wonderful score, but the sound quality - even though it's good for its time - makes it quite unpleasant to listen to.