The 50 Best Soundtracks ... kind of

Trumpeteer

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I don't see that as being anything about us Brits in particular.

It is just these types of "Top 50/100" polls on music/films. I don't take much notice of them because they are

gathered in the most bizzare and hardly accurate ways to represent what the citizens of a nation "really" think.

It's funny that in the Star Wars entry (#3 I think) it never actually talks about Star Wars.

Ya it sounds like they're talking about E.T. I wonder if they actually have even heard the score for Star Wars :wave:

.....Blade Runner?! That "music" should not be listed among the best of anything.

At risk of being called a heretic, I disagree. I think it worked very effectively for the movie.

I won't bothe being called heretic. I am proud of liking it even outside of the movie. :wave: Great music in terms of 'feel'. Very relaxing and sensual. However, it cannot be judged like classical or classical-like music. It is a different cathegory. Different, but not worse. Only thing that matters is whether one likes this kind of sound or not. I do.

.....Blade Runner?! That "music" should not be listed among the best of anything.

At risk of being called a heretic, I disagree. I think it worked very effectively for the movie.

So did I. I quite enjoy the music outside of the film, as well.

Blade Runners score is better termed as noise.

this is an incredibly funny list. Sad, but funny.

Well, from a merely journalistic point of view, that article is quite impressive . They went for professional sources to comment on the scores (Anne Dudley, Michael Nyman, David Arnold...), which at least makes it worthy of a read, regardless of the results themselves.

Just thought I'd give credit where it's due.

Let's just say, you are a Brit and you are composing this article. You look for sources to give it some color. Would an Academy Award-winner local composer not fill the bill?

Great music in terms of 'feel'.

Agreed. Sometimes I think Vangelis is very effective in movies, in that way. Sometimes he completely misses the target in a certain film, but in another area of a film he hits the bullseye. Few moments work in Alexander, but his score was spine tingling in the 'Horse VS Elephant' scene near the end and in the moments in Babylonia and the Gaugamela battle. Same with something like 1492. Parts of it just don't fit 'at all'. Other parts really pull you into the scene. That is what I find with Vangelis.

Great music in terms of 'feel'.

Few moments work in Alexander, but his score was spine tingling in the 'Horse VS Elephant' scene near the end. Same with something like 1492.

I agree 100%. I was just discussing that very same scene with Miguel the other day.

Let's just say, you are a Brit and you are composing this article. You look for sources to give it some color. Would an Academy Award-winner local composer not fill the bill?

Ok, still wouldn't it make sense to talk about the score like most of the other people are?

Oh, definetly. But, again, from a journalistic point of view, she was a very sensible source to turn to. If she decides to blow her free space, it's her problem.

I agree 100%. I was just discussing that very same scene with Miguel the other day.

It's one HELL of a powerful scene, too. Testosterone, Awe, and tugging Emotion as he looks his wounded favourite horse in the eye as he's carried away. For a very flawed movie, it has some gem moments and that scene is just one of several (imo).

I thought the detail of the same spear wounding Bucephalus and Alexander was very effective. And all the red tint in Alexander's eyesight... a good example of slow motion put to use for a great effect.

I won't bothe being called heretic. I am proud of liking it even outside of the movie. ;) Great music in terms of 'feel'. Very relaxing and sensual. However, it cannot be judged like classical or classical-like music. It is a different cathegory. Different, but not worse. Only thing that matters is whether one likes this kind of sound or not. I do.

I was judging it by the primary means by which all film scores should be judged: effectiveness in regards to the film. To me, it sounded extremely dated and laughable, destroying any shred of credibility or gravity the film would've had. It was like an 80s Disney attraction gone wrong. But that's just me, of course. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

I won't bothe being called heretic. I am proud of liking it even outside of the movie. ;) Great music in terms of 'feel'. Very relaxing and sensual. However, it cannot be judged like classical or classical-like music. It is a different cathegory. Different, but not worse. Only thing that matters is whether one likes this kind of sound or not. I do.

I was judging it by the primary means by which all film scores should be judged: effectiveness in regards to the film. To me, it sounded extremely dated and laughable, destroying any shred of credibility or gravity the film would've had. It was like an 80s Disney attraction gone wrong. But that's just me, of course. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

Really? ;) wow... Too bad for ;) you because you lost a very pleasant experience of enjoying another score and a very fine one. I can't imagine "Blade Runner" sounding differently.

Concerning effectiveness in the movie, I don't really remember watching a movie in which the music didn't work. No matter how weak would this music be outside the film, it always worked more or less ok in it.

What the hell was Anne Dudley even talking about?

It sure wasn't Star Wars.

I don't know either,sounds like there putting "John Williams" at #3 in general

What era did you first watch the movie in, Ray?

What era did you first watch the movie in, Ray?

2007. I'm sure if you watched it in the 80s the music seemed less grating. But regardless of how it seemed at the time, it certainly isn't a timeless sound.

Ray Barnsbury

What an odd list. And Blade Runner?! That "music" should not be listed among the best of anything.

I enjoy Blade Runner quite a bit, but to see that and Shaft listed before a Goldsmith work of any kind is really gut-wrenching. Kinda makes me wanna vomit.

2007. I'm sure if you watched it in the 80s the music seemed less grating.

But regardless of how it seemed at the time, it certainly isn't a timeless sound.

Perhaps. But I don't automatically think "80's" myself when it comes to Blade Runner score.

Bits of Goldsmiths first Omen score sound dated now. As does Coma, Capricorn One, (and certainly Logans run)

To me, they do have a very clear 70's sound. But I don't think it detracts from the movies.