The Adventures of Tintin MOVIE Anticipation thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

TownerFan

It's not like Calculus a small character, he's in about every Tintin comic after Le Trésor de Rackham le Rouge. I just don't get it, script wise he is essential to the upcoming movie (the submarine, etc..)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure Calculus will be in the next movie. Even if just to appease the fans.

I think Jackson mentioned that if they get to do another one, Calculus will definitely be in it.

But this first movie has to establish a lot of things and introduce a lot of characters, so I can forgive them for saving Calculus for a later film. Makes me wonder how much of Red Rackham's Treasure we're actually going to see on screen, though.

I thought it was common knowledge that a trilogy was planned from the very beginning? They are/were to direct the first two between them before deciding what to do with the third.

Yes, this was the plan, but they just did the one so far. I think they're waiting to see how well it does before going ahead to shoot the next one. Also, Jackson is currently doing this little project about midgets going to a mountain or something, so that might take priority for him...

Yes I think it really depends on will this first one be a success. And of course PJ has some other things to do first if he is going to direct the second one himself. Those pesky Dwarves. Always in the way.

Oh and as a complete Tintin newbie I have to ask, do the three comics that are adapted for the movie have any connection with each other? Is there a coherent story there?

Yes, this was the plan, but they just did the one so far. I think they're waiting to see how well it does before going ahead to shoot the next one. Also, Jackson is currently doing this little project about midgets going to a mountain or something, so that might take priority for him...

He is? Is it going to be one of those documentary films like Touching the Void, only with midgets? The power of the midget spirit and all that. Because that's got Oscar baiting all over it if you ask me.

He is? Is it going to be one of those documentary films like Touching the Void, only with midgets? The power of the midget spirit and all that. Because that's got Oscar baiting all over it if you ask me.

Midget Spirit. Now there is a name for the next celebratory fanfare JW will compose.

Yes I think it really depends on will this first one be a success. And of course PJ has some other things to do first if he is going to direct the second one himself. Those pesky Dwarves. Always in the way.

Oh and as a complete Tintin newbie I have to ask, do the three comics that are adapted for the movie have any connection with each other? Is there a coherent story there?

The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure are both part of a two-part story, meaning Red Rackham is a direct sequel. No direction connection with the Crab of the Golden Claws. I for one I am happy they are adapting the material. A straight up transition of the albums to the screen would not be very cinematic, IMHO

I have now read the Crab with the Golden Claws and half of the Secret of the Unicorn. Is there anything Captain Haddock does in these stories besides get rip roaring drunk and shout the oddest curse words? I wonder what will his role be in the film. Something less inebriated perhaps.

And these comics contain a surprising amount of slap stick humor. Tintin is banging his head into door and cupboards all the time. Thomson and Thompson are regular pair of Chaplins.

EDIT: I just finished the Red Rackham's Treasure just now and I am intrigued how will they tie these three comic books seamlessly together. With the two that follow each other there is no problem plot wise but the the Crab with the Golden Claws has nothing to do with them. Plus Professor Calculus is such a big (if a bit annoying) part of the Red Rackham's Treasure it will be interesting to see what have they done with that part of the plot, submarine and all, when they excised him from the story.

Last night I swear I dreamed how Tintin's Theme was going to be like. Sadly, I don't rememeber it :lol:

You must have... THE GIFT! Tell us what Johnny is thinking about right now! Read his mind!

They can't do :es Sept Boules de Crystal/Temple du Soleil as the next movie without Professeur Tournesol. It's absolutely impossible. He's the center of the books.

I also can't see why they would do Le Sceptre d'Ottokar next, since Haddock isn't in it.

Last night I swear I dreamed how Tintin's Theme was going to be like. Sadly, I don't rememeber it :lol:

We need those footage videos!

Good thing it was Paul McCartney and not you that dreamt Yesterday!

So... are you scoring the next Harry Potter film ?

I would love to, but it depends on my schedule. I have recently become acquianted of David Yates and he is a wonderful young director, so we'll have to see how it turns out.

I have no deep connection or affection for the Tintin comics so I think I am going to enjoy the plot the film makers have created out of these stories instead of getting overly worried about the changes and small details about the characters that might be missing. The trailer looks pretty impressive and the adventure fun and energetic.

But now that I have read the three comics I think that if Haddock is not toned down he'll be drunk most of the adventure. :P

its not the first time that a character in the literature is not seen on screen.

I dont think we will get the shark submarine either. too corny maybe.

But now that I have read the three comics I think that if Haddock is not toned down he'll be drunk most of the adventure. :P

That is an interesting arc for him to develop in the trilogy as he develops in the comics. He stops drinking, i mean. But not swearing :lol:

its not the first time that a character in the literature is not seen on screen.

I dont think we will get the shark submarine either. too corny maybe.

Well that's the thing I don't get too... no calculus = no shark submarine = it's not Tintin (?!) .

The ship is the most known iconic feature that Hergé created with the red&white rocket. We aren't talking about something minor like Tom Bombadil being merged with Treebeard here. There's 6 major characters in the entire series and Calculus is one of them.

I have faith in the team but they themselves have to be faithful!!!

Tintin gets introduced to Haddock and Dupont and Dupond in this movie, perhaps the writers felt also introducing Calculus would be a bit too much.

One thing I'm sure, as much as I love the books, they require considerable adaptation in order to provide for a good movie.

Tintin gets introduced to Haddock and Dupont and Dupond in this movie, perhaps the writers felt also introducing Calculus would be a bit too much.

I suspect the same thing. Can't say I entirely disagree.

I have now read the Crab with the Golden Claws and half of the Secret of the Unicorn. Is there anything Captain Haddock does in these stories besides get rip roaring drunk and shout the oddest curse words? I wonder what will his role be in the film. Something less inebriated perhaps.

But that's the whole point of the character. What do you want him to be?

But that's the whole point of the character. What do you want him to be?

Uptight teetotaler of course. ;)

It could just be that you don't click with the character, Incanus, and indeed the film itself. You might not enjoy it.

I remember the books vividly and Haddock was easily one the best character's in the series. In fact I remember being disappointed when I discovered he wasn't in the first few adventures at all (I read them out of order).

Haddock's role is on the face of it comic relief, but underneath his blundering heavy-handedness he is a fiercely loyal companion to Tintin which if done right should make for some exciting and genuinely touching moments.

It could just be that you don't click with the character, Incanus, and indeed the film itself. You might not enjoy it.

I remember the books vividly and Haddock was easily one the best character's in the series. In fact I remember being disappointed when I discovered he wasn't in the first few adventures at all (I read them out of order).

Haddock's role is on the face of it comic relief, but underneath his blundering heavy-handedness he is a fiercely loyal companion to Tintin which if done right should make for some exciting and genuinely touching moments.

I think Haddock annoys me because there is nothing else to him, at least not in these three stories, but either drunken buffoonery or cursing. I am not expecting enormous depths from a comic book character in a comic like this but he seems like a loyal and stalwart kind of chap when he is not drinking or having a hissy fit over something and cussing like a sailor he is. When and if I should read the rest of the series I am sure my perception of Haddock would most probably change.

Proferssor Calculus is the same. I get it that he is hard of hearing but when there is not much more to him in the Red Rackham's Treasure then I can understand why he is not in the film. The film does not need another clown alongside Haddock, especially when the joke grows old after three repeats.

I think Haddock annoys me because there is nothing else to him, at least not in these three stories, but either drunken buffoonery or cursing. I am not expecting enormous depths from a comic book character in a comic like this but he seems like a loyal and stalwart kind of chap when he is not drinking or having a hissy fit over something and cussing like a sailor he is. When and if I should read the rest of the series I am sure my perception of Haddock would most probably change.

He's a histrionic character - he's more about the "how" than the "what". More about providing a touch of color to Tintin's orderly world than about changing it and pushing the plot forward.

That being said, he does make for some of the series' more touching moments of loyalty (his attempt to cut the rope in Tibet comes to mind) and heroism.

Haddock is Scottish right?

Uhm, no.

Tell that to Andy Serkis. ;)

Ahem.

Yeah, my first paragraph could well apply to you, which is fair enough.

Well I'll wait and see the film before saying anything about the adaptation of Haddock. But I think they will leave out much of the incidental bungling that all characters are prone to in these comic. No not drinking and cursing but bungling, banging heads to cupboard and drawers and having these small and silly accidents all the time. Except for Thomson and Thompson. They should be the regular Chaplins. Those guys are funny.

I get a bit confused with the nationalities of the chatacters. Tintin is Belgian but Haddock is not? What was Herge's official stand on the nationality of these characters? Are all the main characters officially Belgian? I always thought so.

I'm just looking forward to the curse Blistering Barnacles! entering the mainstream.

Bashi-bazouk as well.

I wonder if Williams will afford Haddock a theme of his own since has composed one for Snowy (or Milou as we in Finland know him). A nice slightly off-kilter drunken sea shanty would be perfect.

I reckon it'll be a carbon copy of the Braveheart theme.

Of course. He is Scottish. Makes perfect sense that Williams should use Scotland the Brave for him.