Transformers - Steve Jablonsky

ChuckM

I don't know about you all, but I am REALLY looking forward to this soundtrack. Jablonsky's score for Steamboy was incredible, and I think this is another good chance for him to compose some awesome music.

What are your thoughts? How do you think it will be?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be similar to Bad Boys 2 and The Island... I'll enjoy it, but I'm sure it will do nothing to persuade Jablonsky-haters.

Heard The Island, nothing even remotely grabbed me. I also saw a trailer for Transformers a few weeks ago and it just didn't look like a movie that required anything great musically.

For those of you who don't like Jablonsky, have you listened to the score for Steamboy? If not, get it! I'll admit, that some of Jablonsky's stuff has been mediocre, but the Steamboy soundtrack is amazing. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for another one like that.

I haven't heard "Steamboy", but I've heard many positive opinions about it. The problems, however, are :

1) People like Bay (who is the protegee of Bruckheimer himself) usually don't care about the music and settle for the most uninspiring underscore; the only good score I have heard in Bay's movie was "Pearl Harbor", the rest represented what's worst in MV/RC.

2) Jablonsky is one of those MV/RC children who don't seem to be interested in writing anything interesting unless they are told to; it seems that in his whole career he wrote only one good score, while the rest isn't even worth mentioning.

3) finally, Jablonsky wrote the music for the trailer of "Transformers" and I didn't like it at all. I realize the music in a trailer doesn't have to be inspiring, nor good in artistic terms, but I will be surprised it the eventuall score is to be any different.

Yes it was. The unreleased air battle music was great, and its rejected counterpart was even greater. The mournful material was also great.

I haven't heard "Steamboy", but I've heard many positive opinions about it. The problems, however, are :

1) People like Bay (who is the protegee of Bruckheimer himself) usually don't care about the music and settle for the most uninspiring underscore;

I'm sorry, but I've gotta call bullshit. While I'm glad it's so easy for you to just dismiss these people's work as "uninspiring underscore," that's just your opinion and not a very well supported one. You may not ENJOY scores like The Rock or Armageddon, but they still work in the movies they represent. Just admit it - Zimmer is talented, but you just don't enjoy his Bruckheimer scores. That's the truth of the matter.

I very much enjoy The Rock and Armageddon (the complete boot is a lot of fun). And I like some of Pearl Harbor, even if the main theme reminds me too much of Angela's Ashes.

I'll give Steamboy a chance if I ever come across it, but I remain skeptical about this guy.

While I do think that an MVier can create a terrific score, I don't think it can be done in this film. This film is an anthem film.

I'm probably gonna wait for the DVD on this one. It's easier to watch a movie with constant camera switches and 3 second scenes on a smaller screen than trying to view it at the theatre.

Indeed. Bay films can be visually nauseating. A film book from my American Cinema class last semester cited Armageddon as conveying a "breakdown of spatial continuity"...ie, you can't tell what the hell is going on. :(

Ray Barnsbury

...it's actually pretty easy to figure out what's going on. I dont' think there's ever been any point in a Michael Bay movie when I've been confused or lost. He uses quick cuts because he's a fan of Tony Scott's style.

I remember watching Armageddon and wondering "What now?!" as something on the ship went wrong yet again, represented by the camera apparently being flung across the set and the editor shoving the film reel through a paper shredder.

And my brother summed up The Island when he told me "I fell asleep in the theatre, and when I woke up something was exploding."

Ray Barnsbury

For Transformers, it's Vince DiCola or no one for me!!! (obscure reference...google the name)

and Pearl Harbor...well...try watching it with tracks from Richard Rodger's Victory at Sea scores. It makes it much more tolerable.

I remember watching Armageddon and wondering "What now?!" as something on the ship went wrong yet again, represented by the camera apparently being flung across the set and the editor shoving the film reel through a paper shredder.

Yes, It is especially bad during the films special effect scenes. The camera moves so fast in every direction that you just cannot focus on any details.

I haven't noticed that stuff in those movies. What bothers me though, is when some movies, during a fight, shake the camera all around so they don't have to make the kicks and punches seem as realistic.

There is music playing on the web site for the Transformers video game. I'm not sure if it is Jablonsky or not, but I do know that he is scoring the game itself so it may be. It sounds pretty good. It's background music, but still not bad.

I really hope you guys don't go see TRANSFORMERS and then post on here with all of this complaining, that the 'camera shakes too much' or that the score is too synth-y. Let's face it, with Michael Bay directing and Steve Jablonsky scoring, you should know exactly what you're going to get.

Let's face it, with Michael Bay directing and Steve Jablonsky scoring, you should know exactly what you're going to get.

That you do. I don't it's possible for a movie from this team to have a good score, no matter who's scoring it.

Some of you guys are so biased against anything MV/RC related, that you would never admit a good score from them no matter how great it may really be.

I'm going to stick with my own opinions and enjoy the film. Score and all.

Well John Powell managed a few decent scores.

The day I hear a great score in a M. Bay film is the day I quit collecting film scores.

...and again, "I like dismissing things before I see/hear them too."

Gosh, I'm really hoping for a Williams-esque, Star Wars-ian score for Transformers. Big, bold, brassy themes and sweeping love themes. Something really grand and orchestral, but not TOO orchestral. It should be classic, but still inventive and unique. But not TOO unique, because that's just weird, and I'm not used to that. Yeah, familiar is good. But not TOO familiar...

:cool:

Although I don't agree with a lot of the ideas behind MV/RC and what they've done to the art of film music, I don't automatically prevent myself from enjoying their music. If I like it, I like it, regardless of where it came from.

Ray Barnsbury

Although I don't agree with a lot of the ideas behind MV/RC and what they've done to the art of film music, I don't automatically prevent myself from enjoying their music. If I like it, I like it, regardless of where it came from.

Ray Barnsbury

:(

I'm probably gonna wait for the DVD on this one. It's easier to watch a movie with constant camera switches and 3 second scenes on a smaller screen than trying to view it at the theatre.

But but but...its Transformers! Big hulking robots whacking the lights out of each other in ILM's best ever work (or so it is claimed by Lucas was it?)