Great Movie Endings

JoeinAR

Since Luke created such a good topic, with the Bad Movie endings, and one of the post suggested we start a Great Movie ending thread. So here it is.

Since Luke used Planet of the Apes 2001 as the first bad movie ending,

let me use Planet of the Apes 1968 as the first in this threads great movie endings. For those of us who knew nothing about how the film had played, and for those of you if there are any who don't know the ending, leave now.

SPOILER ALERT

its probably not necessary to post a spoiler alert for a 34 year old film but with such a great ending??? Please someone tell 20th century fox to change the cover of the dvd. It gives the ending away.

When the film ends Taylor has escaped from the Ape civilization and is wandering throught the forbidden zone. He discovers the remains of the Statue of Liberty. Truely one of the great movie endings of all time. NOT in any way a happy ending, but a truely shocking ending.

And an appropriate opposite to the other thread. There are many more great endings. And they don't have to be great movies to have great endings. What are some of yours?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Endings:

King Kong (1933) - Twas Beauty that killed the Beast

CE3K and E.T. - both full of emotions and deliver to this day

1941 - gotta love the house going over the cliff

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

Planet of the Apes (1968)

Psycho

Citizen Kane

Robin Hood (1991) - Sean Connery's appearance was worth it

Smokey and the Bandit

Airplane!

Vertigo

Cocoon

Star Trek VI

These are a few that spring to mind at this moment.

Back to the Future II. Best cliffhanging ending ever.

Superman the Movie. "No sir, don't thank me, Warden, we're all apart of the same team. 'Night." Lifts off, flies over the earth, winks at the camera and does a flyby. Perfection.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Riding off into the sunset. Again, perfection.

Shawshank Redemption. Great to see two old friends meeting each other for the first time in a while at last.

Usual Suspects. Might be cliched to have this on the list, but dammit, it's such an incredible ending. Kevin Spacey rules.

So many movies to choose from, oy!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The Sixth Sense - My favorite of all time. Just finding out he was dead then trying to figure out how it all worked through the rest of the movie was just awesome.

Field of Dreams - "Dad? You wanna have a catch?" Priceless.

Empire Strikes Back - From the point of Luke landing at Cloud City throught the end credits. Thank you Irvin Kershner.

That's all for now...

Schindler's List

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

CEOT3k

A.I

The Sixth Sense

Planet of the Apes

E.T

Edward Scissorhands

Mars Attacks!!!

Jurassic Park

The Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

Some of the best endings i have ever seen are:

Signs. Need i say more without spoiling the end?

JAWS. The best ever. I allways watch the full end credits. Doesn't everybody with this movie?

Star Trek: Generations (Not counting the 3 ships going tyo warp.) The uplifting ending to a few chapters of the crews past. And a hopeful future.

Pitch Black. Truely, Reddick was left on the planet. But to find himself finally came at the sad price of the second in command.

Oh my, how could i not have remembered this first:

Plains, Tranes and Automobiles. One of the funniest movies ever made, but also one of the sadest. After going threw everything with them and Neil goes bakc to the train station, "What are you still doing here?"

"I don't have a home. (Wife's name) died 8 years ago."

You would have to be cold not to cry. And the ending where Neil finally got back to his wife and John Candy's character is standing there smiling holding his hat and it fades away. So much more sader since Mr. Candy passed away.

Sayving Private Ryan.

BTTF II (The best movie of the Trilogy GREAT ending)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn Spocks rendition of "Space...the final frontier" is simply stunning.

Harry Potter Good ending with Hagrid walking off and that cool crane shot.

Justin -Who knows there are many more.

As Morn stated in another post Edward Scissorhands is a great movie.

And it's ending fits here as well. Its bitter sweet, but reminicent of the great fairytales of old.

Here is a relatively bad film with a great ending. The original Friday the 13th. The last major sequence in that film scared the **** out of me.

So do the endings of Carrie, which is the greatest scary ending of all time.

Dressed to Kill has pretty much the same ending but it too is terrific.

Silence of the Lambs ending is a hoot when Hannibal says "I'm having an old friend for dinner."

but reminicent of the great fairytales of old.
Agreed!!!!

You mentioned BTTF II. For me (though I recognize the second one has a great ending) the best one of the trilogy would be BTTF III. SPOILER (what for the spoiler? who hasn't see the film?) The train time machine scene is excellent.

You mentioned BTTF II. For me (though I recognize the second one has a great ending) the best one of the trilogy would be BTTF III. SPOILER (what for the spoiler? who hasn't see the film?) The train time machine scene is excellent.

See for me it's the exact opposite. Doc goes on and on about how he won't time travel ever again and what does he do? Goes off in a time traveling train....

Just doesn't do it for me. :thumbup:

Justin -Who think BTTF III is the weakest of the Trilogy but still loves it. :thumbup:

See for me it's the exact opposite. Doc goes on and on about how he won't time travel ever again and what does he do? Goes off in a time traveling train....

But then Doc changes his mind. He says: "No, of course you are not fired. That means nothing is written".

I think JW's music filled that normal scene with depth and emotion, thus making it so good and such a nice ending.

Ray Barnsbury

So many movies to choose from, oy!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The Sixth Sense - My favorite of all time.  Just finding out he was dead then trying to figure out how it all worked through the rest of the movie was just awesome....

Exactly, this is why it was good. There were so many little clues....from the color red, and the fact that Bruce never took off his coat....and Anna's acting in the restaurant. Because of the little clues, people kept going to see it to review what they had missed....this is my theory of why the movie did so astronomically well....

Spoilers...for Signs

In Signs....you didn't even have to find out anything.....the answer was all given to you...at the end...There were no hints along the way....

The movie was funny, ending was ok, a little puzzling and made me retract thoughts; it wasn't all well-crafted as 6th sense was....

Just my thoughts....

Oh, well, my fav movie is "Spirited Away" now.

I think JW's music filled that normal scene with depth and emotion, thus making it so good and such a nice ending.

Exactly. :thumbup:

Justin

Nobody named Star Wars 8O  

K.M.

Star Wars has a great ending, best of the 5 films.

a great battle has been won, friendships have been forever created, and the Throne Room celebration is fantastic. Do I even need to mention John's great musical score? Well I will anyways as it contributes greatly to the ending.

Star Wars has a great ending, best of the 5 films.

a great battle has been won, friendships have been forever created, and the Throne Room celebration is fantastic.  Do I even need to mention John's great musical score?  Well I will  anyways as it contributes greatly to the ending.

AMEN JOE.

I would add that it IS the only SW movie.

- The Phantom

:roll: Too happy, too ordinary. TESB and ROTJ have better endings. 8O Yeah, The Luke/Vader fight is cool.

Yeah, ROTJ has the best ending.

No, seriously, I think Signs has a pretty good ending. However, it leaves you feeling that there is more to come. But still a good, uplifting ending.

And **SPOILERS** I loved the baseball bat/lightsaber ending. I only missed the buzzing.

The Others has a pretty good ending, too. I did like the girl in that movie, she was scary.

Oh, and I'm shocked that nobody mentioned the only thing in the Men In Black movies: the animated endings!

And Empire of the Sun. That was good too.

-ROSS, who likes when the ending relates to the beginning of the story, like in Moulin Rouge (NOT like Saving Private Ryan).

Empire Strikes Back is my all time favorite movie ending. It perfectly completes a flawless film.

And you called yourself a purist?!

Star Wars is the only one man!

- The Phantom

:P  ROTFLMAO  :sigh:

What is so funny, AOTC defender?

- The Phantom

Come on Luke, you can't use that as an insult.

-ROSS, who thinks Luke should just come back and stop posting as The Phantom.

;)  ;)  :)

What is so funny, AOTC defender?

- The Phantom

Come on Luke, you can't use that as an insult.

-ROSS, who thinks Luke should just come back and stop posting as The Phantom.

oops you got me :biglaugh:

I was not insulting, only diverting. As i see it didnt work. WHy noone told me? . Now i look like a sucker :wow:

And you called yourself a purist?!  

Star Wars is the only one man!

Luke clearly trying his hand at subversion. However, Rogue LEader was not falling for it. My R2 unit pegged ya Luke. :|

An Officer and a Gentleman, when Richard Gere picks up Debra Winger up and takes her out of the plant.

Empire of the Sun has a great movie ending, agreed with Ross and Scissorhands.

More: Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Signs.

-empiresun-

• 2 weeks later...

I simply cant believe that nobody has mentioned the ending to The Wicker man" with Christopher Lee. One of the classic unexpected and shocking endings in cinema history i think. I also like the ending to American Beauty too. The narration from Spacey is hard hitting. E.T has to be in there too. Its such a beautiful romantic drawn out teary one. The ending to The Deer Hunter with DeNiro and Walken. Such a shocking and unexpected ending again. In Aliens not exactly the real end, but the whole sequence near the end in the airlock with theQueen Alien. Its so gripping and Horner's score is really tension building in that scene. I love the ending to Leon too. Heroic and sad, yet hopefull. I'll think of others (cause i know there are other great ones) and wrtie them here when i think of them.