a little game I played the other night

GoodMusician

Hey all...

I just thought I'd post about a little game I did the other night.

I was lying in bed trying to sleep, and the opening to the final track from ET came to mind... that whole ba dum, ba dum, bum bum.... badum badum... boom...boom... badum, badum,bump bump...dump-dump-dump (do, do, do) lol

and I thought to myself "I wonder if I know the whole thing well enough to sing it right now... alone..."

so I sat there for a little over 15 mins (as thats how long the cue is) and I sang through the whole thing... remembering all the little nuances of the orchestration... trying to remember all the beats and get the timing and tempo's right... almost conducting as I went along...

(and if you must know, I did the film alternate except with the extra two horn notes lol

I even went into the end credits :-p I tried to do it for a few other tracks too heh...

But anyways, I was wondering if anyone here ever tries this and what tracks they know well enough to do that with heh

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pleased and surprised to say that I can sing/hum more than 80% of For Your Eyes Only - even the cues I only heard in the film.

I do that sometimes. It's a darn shame, though, that I haven't memorized the entire finale of E.T. in such fashion. Yeah...

Hey all...

I just thought I'd post about a little game I did the other night.

I was lying in bed trying to sleep, and the opening to the final track from ET came to mind... that whole ba dum, ba dum, bum bum.... badum badum... boom...boom... badum, badum,bump bump...dump-dump-dump (do, do, do) lol

and I thought to myself "I wonder if I know the whole thing well enough to sing it right now... alone..."

so I sat there for a little over 15 mins (as thats how long the cue is) and I sang through the whole thing... remembering all the little nuances of the orchestration... trying to remember all the beats and get the timing and tempo's right... almost conducting as I went along...

(and if you must know, I did the film alternate except with the extra two horn notes lol

I even went into the end credits :-p I tried to do it for a few other tracks too heh...

But anyways, I was wondering if anyone here ever tries this and what tracks they know well enough to do that with heh

Wow your family member and neighbours must have had a great night too ;)

I do that, except with The Enterprise from ST:TMP

The worst is when I can't GET a tune out of my head and I'm trying to sleep. Or, you only get one particular part looping over and over again...

Isn't that how Schumann went nuts?

I can do it for simple cues, but nothing like what GM is talking about.

I've done it for "You Are the Pan" many times.

I played a little game in bed the other night too. It was called hide the sausage.

But yeah, used to do this all the time, but not just in bed, but also in work etc.

T-Rex Rescue & Finale can be quite challenging ;)

The worst is when I can't GET a tune out of my head and I'm trying to sleep. Or, you only get one particular part looping over and over again...

Even worse is when that happens not when you're trying to sleep, but when you're wide awake and have something much more important you're supposed to be doing.

It happens all the time with a new theme - I discover it, spend a couple of days cementing it in my head, and then it's stuck and I no longer have to think about it. In this case, I had just got Horner's In Country theme 'memorised' and could not get it out of my head minutes before giving a project presentation ;)

I do this at work disturbingly often, but

a.)I do it in my head, and

b.)Without fail, it is alway "The Departure of Boba Fett." I have no idea why this particular track sticks in my brain.

I've done it for "You Are the Pan" many times.

Lol... just READING that put it in my head.. .great cue great cue...

Like, when I listen to the music, I can sit there and "play" almost all the instruments... I whsitle the flute runs, and crash the cymbols and hit the timpani, and being a string player, I play the string lines...

I can do that with the music... but having heard it a lot, I have memorized most of it but usually I need to hear the music to put me in that place where I can recall that memory... recall the sounds and play along...

I was just surprised that I was able to do it so well (at least with that cue and some smaller ones) without having the music playing... heh

I kinda had to stop half way through the end credits... I had both the film version and the alternate running in my head... my horns didn't come in late though! lol

I then jumped to near the end though becuase I couldn't remember some of the middle lol...

but yea... it's kinda fun to try and close your eyes and see it and hear it... I wasn't exactly humming it or singing it... but I was kinda in my head so... hehe..

I dunno, it's a fun game...

(perhaps more fun than hide the sausage?? :-p)

And no I'm not married lol ... gays can't marry in Florida :-p

I played a little game in bed the other night too. It was called hide the sausage.

Another great game to play in bed is The Distracted Tourist and the Ever-Watchful Orangetang (I apologize to Mel Brooks on that one)

Another thing I hate is when you start thinking about one tune and segue into a completely different one on accident.

I did that once with Star Wars - I started thinking about the A section of it and completely and unconsciously went right into the B section of Superman March. I guess thats shouldn't be surprising considering there similarity

Tuneman - (who ducks the oncoming tomatoes and eggs for that similarity comment)

Another thing I hate is when you start thinking about one tune and segue into a completely different one on accident.

I was having that problem with the end credits music from et lol... I ended up jumping back to The Chase from et... and then ended up almost singing the whole finale track again lol... so I just jumped to the end lol

One day I was sitting in World History class taking notes and i had my piano recital that night and i was going to play "Battle of the Heroes" and I was incredibly bored and started humming and "conducting" with my foot. My teacher thought I was going insane.

Also my English class is next to the film studies class and they were watching ET one day and i got all excited because it was the the ending and it was when they all took flight and i was humming in my chair and my teacher flipped out on me yelling "Your supposed to be listening to my vocabulary not the stupid music next door." I wanted to scream "Its not stupid its JOHN WILLIAMS!!!"

Tuneman - (who ducks the oncoming tomatoes and eggs for that similarity comment)

I used to have that happen when I was a little kid. I used it to imagine medleys of Williams' works. So it doesn't have to be all bad. :)

Sometimes I'll try to play the Superman theme in my head, and all that will come up is the Star Trek TMP theme.... ;)

It's a fun game.

After 2 minutes of singing I'd probably get slapped by my wife or I'd fall asleep.

I do that too. 'Tis fun. EDIT: The music thing...not hide the sausage. ;)

I also find myself sitting in a boring class or ceremony or the like, and I'll begin tinkling the ivories on whatever hard surface happens to be nearby. Usually Williams or a few other things I won't mention by name, for fear of being lynched.

Count me in for humming & orchestrating while in class/lectures. Very common source of realising you don't have a clue what the lecturer has been saying for the last minute. Nearly got me 'noticed' earlier this year in a logic & A.I. class, but the cause of the lecturer's and several classmates' stares turned out to be the guy sitting directly behind me falling asleep ;)

I often play, and air conduct -- when no one is watching... ;) -- the Theme from Superman and the Planet Krypton (quite an exhausting exercice, but so fun !), The Forest Battle (concert suite), and Hedwig's Theme.

Memorizing and playing in my head Schindler's Workforce is great too :) , a wonderful way to understand JW's music.

Count me in for humming & orchestrating while in class/lectures. Very common source of realising you don't have a clue what the lecturer has been saying for the last minute. Nearly got me 'noticed' earlier this year in a logic & A.I. class, but the cause of the lecturer's and several classmates' stares turned out to be the guy sitting directly behind me falling asleep :)

That's ok, I once uttered the phrase "Well, I'm hard!" quite sarcastically in the middle of a music theory class. It's a long story. Needless to say, I got some unwanted attention from that.

Humming this shit is easy compared to whistling it. I've tried, with varying success - or lack of it.

Actually, I don't do too bad :)

Which suddenly makes me realise that someone really needs to record and release a Whistling Best Of John Williams album... ;)