Will JW write for Harry Potter Anymore?

oboale

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how blown out of proportion this is getting everywhere.

Why would the rest of the internet be any different than this board? ;)

True, I still remember the Jarvis Cocker insanity.

I imagine we'll find out about the director before Williams is confirmed as the composer. It is quite likely that Columbus sees the series to its inevitable close. If that's the case, it's 100% in-the-bank that Williams is on to score. But this is all a couple of years away. We'll have a new Indy score in that time period, and possibly a Lincoln score ;)

Columbus will not come back to the series. The style of the movies have gone in a very different way form his style. They're not going back to the childish sweet and candy version of Harry Potter. Visually, Yates is following Cuarón, in general. My guess is that either Yates directs Deathly Hallows or Cuarón does it.

Regarding Williams', unless the studio decides to fire Nicolas Hooper and bring back Williams (which is possible), Hooper will remain as a composer as long as Yates directs. I think (or hope, actually) that Cuarón talked to Williams and he asked him to do the last movie if he'd be directing it. That would be great: Williams and Cuarón for the last movie!!

I saw Prisoner of Azkaban yesterday...again! It is the best movie, visually and musically is a pure gem. It is the only movie from the series that I like to see as a movie. All the others are wrong adaptations from the novesl (with the possible exception of Order of the Phoenix)

You are aware that directors can adapt different visual styles, right? I'm not lauding Columbus as a great director, not at all, but don't think that he can't make a darker film. Chamber of Secrets was, in fact, darker than the first, and not as syrupy.

Tim

You are aware that directors can adapt different visual styles, right? I'm not lauding Columbus as a great director, not at all, but don't think that he can't make a darker film. Chamber of Secrets was, in fact, darker than the first, and not as syrupy.

Tim

Yeah, back when it came out, all the reviewers said it was so much "darker" and that it should have gotten a PG-13 rating.

More like PG-ass. It's a miserable failure of a film in most accounts. Dark? Not at all.

Chamber of Secrets was the worst adaptaion of the series. The book is a mistery nobel, full of red herrings, false suspictions, twists, real clues... The movie fails in every aspect of the adaptation: the pure-blood issue was lost (one scene explaining it and nothing more: it should have been related to the attacks!), there was no clue pointing to the attacker... Instead, we have the whomping willow just for nothing. the movie was long long long.... and boring.

Philosopher's Stone was actually a better adaptation. The book was much more simple and had a lot of exposition of the magic world. And so, the movie is long, fragmented, but at least the story is there.

Both films are childish, and were shot as children's movies. I'd be really surprised if Columbus could drastically change the style for the last one.

I'd be more surprised if the producers allowed him to come back to the series.

Tim

Yeah, back when it came out, all the reviewers said it was so much "darker" and that it should have deserved a PG-13 rating.

More like PG-ass. It's a miserable failure of a film in most accounts. Dark? Not at all.

It appears the films are each deemed much "darker" and "scarier" than the previous ones as the series goes on by reviewers but they all seem the same to me.Voldermort in HPPS is the same "scary" level as Voldermort in GoF and OotP.Fluffy could be just as scary to a kid as the Basilisk in CoS or the dragon in GoF. I don't recall anything potentially scary in OotP.In reality PoA is the darkest of the HP movies and scores,the PoA dementors are the only really "frightening" images in all the HP movies

Except for the misguided, cloying finale of course.

Ray Barnsbury

You mean the one that had me convinved that Rowling had tipped them off that Hagrid was going to die in Book 5 because there was no other logical explanation for giving him such a big scene?

More like PG-ass.

:P

I think that scene was just so Robbie Coltraine wouldn't quit as Hagrid in the next films

Probably. Seriously, NO ONE at Hogwarts other than the trio and Dumbledore even likes Hagrid.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban on TV now....in High Definition.

Music always sounds mixed abit louder on TV than the cinema

K.M.

Ray, I love your sig!

Another fan of The Office? :P

It's not like Hagrid's had much to do the last couple of films anyway. Was he even in OotP?

It took me about five minutes, but I finally remembered he had one scene in the cabin ("There's a storm coming") and the whole Grawp thing. Which, after reading Deathly Hallows, seems even more insignificant in the grand scheme of things...why even include that awkward scene in the film?

Ray Barnsbury

It's not like Hagrid's had much to do the last couple of films anyway. Was he even in OotP?

It took me about five minutes, but I finally remembered he had one scene in the cabin ("There's a storm coming") and the whole Grawp thing. Which, after reading Deathly Hallows, seems even more insignificant in the grand scheme of things...why even include that awkward scene in the film?

Ray Barnsbury

Rowling told them if they left out any key scenes, but I doubt she told them whether they left in unimportant scenes. Yates probably assumed Grawp would play a bigger roll in the seventh book.

The only thing I remember Rowling telling them was to make sure they kept Kreacher in. Even though he could easily be cut from the DH film anyway. And Grawp does have one important moment in OotP, he's the one that saves Harry and Hermione from the centaurs, and the centaur attack needed to stay since that's how they got rid of Umbridge.

YATES: "Hey, everyone, did you hear that the locket is a horcrux?"

EVERYONE: "Heh, heh. To the rumor mills with this one! Rowling's plan to not have the Deathly Hallows plot revealed in advance will be ruined once and for all!"

Why is it that everybody is always so adamant on having sequels be darker than the film that went before it nowadays? It seems for every sequel there is a "must be bigger, better and darker" kind of idea. It's beginning to get annoying, really. How about: "Just as big, just as good and just as dark/light as the previous film"? Of course some variations are fine, but I'm beginning to dislike the going darker trend of apparently every series of films. In some cases it is understandable and sometimes even required, but in many other instances it is entirely uncalled for.

In the case of Harry Potter it is OK, although I think they shouldn't be so pinned on making the next film darker. Instead they should try to make the tone of the film the same as the tone of the books. The way the films are going, Deathly Hallows might be shot in black and white.

The best examples of this "darker" trend can be seen in Pirates of the Caribbean and Spiderman. The first PotC film was good fun, but for some reason they had to put a lot of drama in the second two films that was entirely uncalled for. It made for some pretty good and enjoyable films as far as I'm concerned, but they didn't stick to the tone of the first film, which I think was a missed opportunity. In the case of Spiderman 3 I don't even want to see the film because the "inner darkness", "son of bad guy with hatred of hero goes bad as well" and "love triangle" kind of storylines are just dark for the dake of being dark and in my opinion this is just plain boring.

I agree with you, there is a trend of doing the sequels darker and darker. It makes me laugh everytime I read "the next Harry Potter movie/soundtrack is said to be darker than it's predecesors". The same happened actually with Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. However, the first two Harry Potter movies were not light and funny, they were childish. And the second one was a childish movie pretending to be dark.

And the scores of Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets were as kidish as the movies (which is, of course, appropriate for the movies).

PoA is still the darkest and most depressing film of the five-part saga.

I don't know, the fith movie IS depressing, at least at the beginning.

PoA is dark, yet funny at times. But it introduced the darkness and depressed feeling to the movies. I love the always-clouded scottish skyes!

So yeah I think the news that Williams would like to come back to score the seventh film is quite welcome. I for one think that Hooper's attempt at scoring OOTP was an abysmal failure. It's just atrocious. Personally I think Warner Brothers should fall over themselves getting Williams on the phone to see if he will score film six AND seven.

By the way, do you know if the soundtrack of Order of the Phoenix is selling well? If not, there is a chance that Warner Brothers fire Hooper and bring back Williams. After all, Hooper's soundtarck is hard to listen to an average HP fan, with lot of atmospheric stuff and little melodic/thematic material.

At the rate the Potter films are going (progressively "darker"), the 7th film will probably just be a two hour blank title card.

So yeah I think the news that Williams would like to come back to score the seventh film is quite welcome. I for one think that Hooper's attempt at scoring OOTP was an abysmal failure. It's just atrocious. Personally I think Warner Brothers should fall over themselves getting Williams on the phone to see if he will score film six AND seven.

Hooper's score is amazing!!! Not quite as good as JW, but still, WONDERFUL!!! How dare you defy it! ;):P

Adequate? Yes. Amazing? No.

It is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! And it has many different melodies and motifs, including Dumbledore's Army, Umbridge, a secondary DA theme, and other beautiful, wonderful pieces. It isn't quite as good as PoA, but I think it is as good as SS, and better than CoS, and by far better than GoF. And it really lifts the movie out of some scenes--I would know--I've seen it 4 times. There are only 2 complaints I have:

1. they didn't include the music from the centaur attack on Umbridge

2. the "special edition" promised a 20 page booklet on the making of the score. All I got was the same quotes that can be found on the original soundtrack, and enlarged pics.

But still, the actual score is more than amazing, it's FANTASTIC!

I wouldn't even say it's adequate. It actively hurts the film in several places. Even my mom who never pays attention to film music noticed it all on her own. He should not be allowed to score films anymore. Back to TV for you Hooper.

By the way, do you know if the soundtrack of Order of the Phoenix is selling well? If not, there is a chance that Warner Brothers fire Hooper and bring back Williams. After all, Hooper's soundtarck is hard to listen to an average HP fan, with lot of atmospheric stuff and little melodic/thematic material.

US Sales Comparison:

Sorcerer's Stone 619,000

Chamber of Secrets 210,000 -66%

Prisoner of Azkaban 180,000 -14%

Goblet of Fire 135,000 -25%

Order of the Phoenix 43,000 -68%

US Sales Comparison:

Sorcerer's Stone 619,000

Chamber of Secrets 210,000 -66%

Prisoner of Azkaban 180,000 -14%

Goblet of Fire 135,000 -25%

Order of the Phoenix 43,000 -68%

As of what date?

The first 4 are as of July 10th 2007, but their sales for the last few months have been no where near capable of making a dent in those figures. So they're pretty much "up to date"

Phoenix is as of this last week.

By comparison, Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban had 34,000 and 38,000 copies sold by their second weeks in release. So Order of the Phoenix is very clearly way behind.

:baaa:

I am by no means insinuating that Hooper is BETTER than Williams, I just think he has talent, and is a great composer.

For only the Potter films, he would be my second choice (JW is first, of course)

The first 4 are as of July 10th 2007, but their sales for the last few months have been no where near capable of making a dent in those figures. So they're pretty much "up to date"

Phoenix is as of this last week.

By comparison, Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban had 34,000 and 38,000 copies sold by their second weeks in release. So Order of the Phoenix is very clearly way behind.

So then, it is possible that the studio wants Williams back, since his albums are more enjoyable to lisen and, therefore, easily sold. Goblet of Fire, I guess it sold well because of the last three songs :baaa:

Order of the Phoenix soundtrack has good things, but is quite poor in melodic development, orchestrations (in certain moments)... A lot of tracks seem to be just background harmony, with no melody at all (The Kiss...). That may work in the movie, but makes the soundtrack hard to listen to the majority.

If Warner Bros wants to get rid of Hooper and bring back Williams because they sell more albums, I am fine with that. Even if it is the wrong reasoning for the right decision.