The Return of the King - Complete Recordings Information?

Joe Brausam

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But still the best, right?Hey, anybody know if FOTR and TT are worth getting the CR for? I have the OST. I've watched the movies multiple times, and there has never been any unreleased music that I really wanted. Is there some great stuff out there?

At this point it's hard to judge, since I know the full score to FOTR and TTT much better.ROTK is probably considered the best, because it has the most pay-offs. The first 2 scores were building to ROTK, so in one way or another they were a tad more restrained, even in it's action music, since Shore still needed some place to go with it.In ROTK, the gloves are off and he can write as big as he wants too.It may be the most fullfilling score, but it's also the least original of the three, since it builds almost completely on the previous two. Which is ofcourse the intention all along, so it's not a point of critisism, just an observation.

But still the best, right?Hey, anybody know if FOTR and TT are worth getting the CR for? I have the OST. I've watched the movies multiple times, and there has never been any unreleased music that I really wanted. Is there some great stuff out there?

Frankly I can't see any reason in owning just ROTK. It's like reading just that book, without having read the first 2.

ROTK provides a pay-off for a whole bunch of musical ideas Shore started in the first and second score. To fully appriciate the pay-off, you need to be aware of the way it was set up.

This and the music as Legolas takes down the oliphant.

I think that can be cleanly taken from the EE end credits.

Zoinks! So it can. Shame on me for not listening to those credits. Hey, it was Christmas time, I had a lot of other stuff to delve into.

Absolutely sure? The music for part of the Mumakil battle is there (the Rohirrim's strategically unwise charge), but not Legolas's moment.

Um, because IMO, the only really good unreleased music is in ROTK.

You can't be sure of that just by judging the music in the films. The CR sets have been revelations so far. There's so much music from the films that I thought would be a chore to get through on its own, but it hasn't turned out that way at all (Two Towers especially so).

(the Rohirrim's strategically unwise charge),

Maybe, but it looks cool. :unsure:

You can't be sure of that just by judging the music in the films. The CR sets have been revelations so far. There's so much music from the films that I thought would be a chore to get through on its own, but it hasn't turned out that way at all (Two Towers especially so).

I don't think there are a lot of thing that Indy4 has doubts about, he doesn't strike me like that kind of person.....

(the Rohirrim's strategically unwise charge),

Maybe, but it looks cool. ;)

Damn straight! :unsure:

Well, what else were they going to do?

Lead a valiant rearguard assault. In other words, run awaaaay!

EDIT - Damn you Steef, you beat me to it. ;)

Ah yes, forgot about that. I'd be nice if that got a CD release as well, I'd be much more interested in that than a bunch of alternate cues.

A CD of the Symphony would just be a bunch of cues already present on the CDs (and mostly, that's the 1 CD releases). A DVD might be interesting.

Yes. If you're going to get the RotK CR, you'll be well off to get the FotR and TTT ones as well.

Absolutely. I still don't particularly like TTT, but I still got it so I'd have the whole set. The sets are worth the money, not just for the music itself but everything else.

There is such a huge amount of cues I am looking forward to. Basically the complete score. It is indeed a finale score for the whole series and has resolutions for all the material that has come before and been built over the 2 previous films. As such it is more of a part of an organic whole than an independent work. Even I have no doubt that it stands on its own two feet as an experience but I feel it has a much greater impact as a part of the whole 3 scores spanning work. And as Stefan already mentioned it is a finale of musical build up that has been escalating for the past 2 films and finally the conflict reaches its peak.

Shore has been building everything slowly up to this point where the music will take its grandest shape. Most complex writing, most epic writing, most emotional writing is all to be found in RotK. And all this is deliberate. Siege of Minas Tirith is the crown of all the battle sequences in the trilogy so the action music reaches its peak there, the Mt. Doom sequence is the culmination of the story of the Ring and the Ring Bearer's Quest so the music the most epic and most emotional in the series. The whole crux of the story is reached and Shore makes the most satisfying musical pay off for the story. The epilogue sequence sees the trilogy to a happy if little bittersweet ending and resolves the music on a peaceful note. The wealth of individual cues that I want to hear is too big to list here. As the OST is a completely different beast compared to the complete recordings and film versions of the music there is something new to discover even in the cues that we have on the OST in one form or the other.

Is there any news at all on a possible lotr symphony dvd? Because frankly, I'd rather have that than all the CR releases put together. There is something amazing about seeing the RPO perform the music from lotr, especially live, but 5.1 sound would be sufficient.

As soon as we can preorder this monstrosity, I will do exactly what I did for Two Towers: remove all RotK files from my winamp playlist and never listen to them for the several months leading up to release. Makes it feel that much more special to have not only the extra music but also the regular music back :)

This and the music as Legolas takes down the oliphant.

I think that can be cleanly taken from the EE end credits.

No, it can't. Because the end credits music is from the scene where Eowyn takes down a Mumakil on her horse.

What are the EE end credits, anyways? For the OST end credits, I have "Into the West", and then a short, peaceful melody by Shore, but it is defenitley not any scene w/ the oliphants.

It doesn't really matter.

Of course it doesn't matter. CGI only becomes relevant when it's bad enough to distract from the story. In some movies, CGI should have distracted from the story, some movies try it deliberately but fail.

Sometimes it's all combined.

What are the EE end credits, anyways? For the OST end credits, I have "Into the West", and then a short, peaceful melody by Shore, but it is defenitley not any scene w/ the oliphants.

The EE fan club credits include the oliphaunt cue, bits of The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, an alternate cue for Pippin finding Merry (performed by Sissel) and Bilbo's Song (composed specifically for the fan club credits). I think there's a Minas Tirith cue in there as well.