John Williams Concert in Finland in November!

Snowster

The Lahti Symphony Orchestra is planning a 'John Williams Concert for November 16th at the famous Sibelius Hall! Here is what they plan to perform:

Superman (Main title)

J.F.K. Suite

Far and Away Suite

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Suite

+++

Born on the Fourth of July (Theme)

Indiana Jones (The Raiders March?)

Schindler's List (Theme)

Saving Private Ryan (Hymn to the Fallen)

Star Wars Suite

The Lahti Symphony Orchestra

Looking forward to it, a very nice program...

-Snowster

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also bought my tickets well in advance. The programme is nicely varied and well balanced with selections from both JWs drama scores (JFK, BOTFJ, Schindler's List etc.) and his fantasy/adventure scores. And the choir is was an unexpected but totally welcome surprise. I am anticipating Duel of the Fates performance in the Phantom Menace Suite ! :D

And Far and Away Suite is a rare treat indeed! :)

This concert will be brodcast live on classicLive. You have to buy "classicLive time" to watch it (5€/24h).

[Details]

-Snowster

Is anyone going to record this?

Now, don't take me the wrong way, I would gladly pay the 5€, but with my louzy connection, I would likelly miss most of it :D

This concert will be brodcast live on classicLive. You have to buy "classicLive time" to watch it (5€/24h).

[Details]

-Snowster

Is anyone going to record this?

Now, don't take me the wrong way, I would gladly pay the 5€, but with my louzy connection, I would likelly miss most of it :devil:

I would... if I knew how to record video stream.

There's one more John Williams concert in Finland! Turku Symphony Orchestra with Atso Almila will perform music from the Star Wars films! Concert will be held at the Turku Concert Hall in 13th November.

Star Wars-konsertti (only in Finnish)

I am going to the Friday 3 pm concert in Lahti. I will record the video-stream from Friday evening concert and will try to get it available to all of us.

Sounds like it will be great, the Lahti Symphony is very, very good...

But too bad you guys are all going to different concerts...it would have been neat to see a pic of the Finnish JWFans! ;)

Sounds like it will be great, the Lahti Symphony is very, very good...

But too bad you guys are all going to different concerts...it would have been neat to see a pic of the Finnish JWFans! :lol:

Why would you not come here, seeing live is always better than a picture. :-)

• 5 weeks later...
It was first time for me for entire John Williams concert. And what a program it was!!

I'm so excited about todays concert in Lahti! At tuesday I heard Star Wars-theme, Imperial March, Yoda's theme, Luke and Leia, The Throne Room Credits, and E.T.'s Adventures on Earth performed by Turku Philharmonic Orchestra. And now another concert!

There was an article in the newspaper Helsingin Sanomat about that Hämeenlinna concert. I could send that to you by email if you are interested (tilaan HS:n sähköistä versiota ja pihistin tästä artikkelin). Just PM me and tell your email address.

I will report my listening experience later, but probably I'm too drunk (that kind of event should be celebrate!) also so I will be back on tomorrow. I'm going to record that videostream from the concert.

Just came back from the first concert.

It was first time for me for entire John Williams concert. And what a program it was!!

Now I'm too drunk to give some details , but I have to say I never listened Arlington from

JFK too carefully , what amazing string writing!!

Hearing live John Williams music by a good orchestra is allways a pleasure.

The choir was terrible , ruined Duel of the Fates and Hymn to the Fallen.

Thanks for depressing me about Duel of the Fates and Hymn to the Fallen :mellow: I am going to attend the concert tonight and I have all day to worry and lament about the choir's performance.

You damn Scandy bastards!

Finns r not Scandinavian. Thankyou. ;)

Well according to Nordic mythology, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark make up "Scandinavia".

CONCERT PROGRAM

SUPERMAN MARCH

SUITE FROM FAR AND AWAY

County Galway, June 1892 -

The Fighting Donnelly's -

Joseph and Shannon -

Blowing Off Steam -

Finale

THREE PIECES FROM SCHINDLER'S LIST

Theme from Schindler's List

Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto - Winter '41)

Remembrances

THE PHANTOM MENACE CONCERT SUITE

The Flag Parade

Anakin's Theme

The Adventures of Jar Jar

Duel of the Fates

(20 minutes intermission)

RAIDERS MARCH

SUITE FROM J.F.K

Theme From J.F.K. -

Motorcade

Arlington

HYMN TO THE FALLEN

STAR WARS CONCERT SUITE

Main Title

Princess Leia's Theme

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)

Yoda's Theme

Throne Room & End Title

There where no encores performed at the 1 pm concert ;)

The concert in Lahti was exquisite, absolutely fantastic! The Sibelius Hall there has been ranked amongst the best concert halls in the world concerning acoustics. The difference was enormous comparing to the concert hall in Turku and so was the skill possessed by the musicians. I was sitting in the first row seat in front of the violins so they were emphasized slightly.

You can see the programme in the previous post.

The concert did not begin with premium quality as the players had some difficulty with the beginning of the Superman March, but soon they managed to raise the level fast.

The Suite from Far and Away was sheer display of talent and emotion, absolutely perfect. It could have been Mr. Williams on the podium instead of Jaakko Kuusisto. Too bad uillean pipe or bodhrán was not produced, but it was not that important. No bad word for this.

Three pieces from Schindler's List, was a mixed experience. The violin soloist was not Itzhak Perlman obviously, so there was some wavering and one clear error made. But that was only in the Theme, other two were played quite nicely.

The Suite from Phantom Menace was loud as was exepcted. The orchestra played flawlessly with great gusto. That was the first piece, in which the chorus, Lahden Bach-kuoro (The Bach Chorus of Lahti), partook. In a review by Hornist is revealed that the chorus was not good at all in Hämeenlinna, but I must say it was absolutely perfect in Lahti, one complain might be that it should have been twice as larger in order to match the volume required for the Duel of the Fates and because of the proximity of violins it tended to merge into them. They sang without flaws, I think their performance might have been worse than in Lahti, which is completely natural as they have had more time to rehearse. Nemo nascitur artifex.

Raiders March was great! :-)

The Suite from JFK was one of the high moments of the concert. Having previously heard the trumpeter crawling before the solo in Turku I had prepared for the worst, but my anxiety vanished as I heard the limpid sound of trumpet after snare. I thought I was in heaven, no breaking sounds at all. I was happy to hear it as it was composed. The same I can tell about the strings which was required there furious.

And then the moment I have been waiting for the most: Hymn to the Fallen. Again Lahden Bach-kuoro participated, and sang with perfection. The only act for me to do was to close my eyes and hear the celestial singing and playing. No bad word.

And as a finale, the compulsory Star Wars Suite. I had heard this twice already but this was the best of these three. I have some complains nevertheless. As Jaakko Kuusisto decided to tone down some pieces I found The Imperial March and The Throne Room and End Title too reserved. I expect them to be played with full intensity. But the level orchestra played was high, no errors there.

I must say this was the best film music experience I have had. Jaakko Kuusisto and the Lahti Symphony Orchestra made quite a performance to us and I would be glad to hear more film music from them in the near future.

I went to the concerts in Lahti. They were both great. I'm not a professional musician, but I find it unbelievable, that the orchestra was able to perform this demanding program three times in the timeframe of about 24 hours. The first concert was in Hämeenlinna at 7pm on thursday, and the next day they had the first concert 1pm and the second at 7pm in Lahti, which basically gave them about 3,5 hours rest between the concerts.

-Snowster

Has anybody recorded this one, the audio file that is, not the video?

Dear Friends,

I'm delighted at all this interest in our John Williams concert in Lahti last week, and I do hope as many of you as possible take the opportunity to watch the concert on www.classiclive.com. We certainly had fun playing it!

At the same time I wish to reply to those of you who seek to record audio and/or video from the classicLive webcast. Please do not attempt to do that, even if you have the technical expertise to do so. Recording the webcast is certainly in violation of the Terms of Use at classicLive, and probably also of copyright laws. In breaking these rules, you make it much more difficult for classicLive and other operators to maintain and develop these services. In addition, you violate the rights of the musicians in question.

There is all kinds of material available on the internet, some of it legal, some not. I believe it is important that we who are friends of good music respect the rules that we know exist. In that way we will contribute to a better internet experience in the future.

Thank you!

Jaakko Kuusisto

I believe it is important that we who are friends of good music respect the rules that we know exist. In that way we will contribute to a better internet experience in the future.

Many years I have been a great fan of The Lahti Symphony Orchestra and have been visiting concerts even though the travel from Turku to Lahti will take 3 hours. I really didn't consider how harmful would it be to the orchestra to share a video of this wonderful concert.

It's is rare moment to hear Williams's music in live in Finland and it would be sad if these concerts would not be arranged in to the future. It is a rare (maybe only!) opportunity to listen a full John Williams concert online and I think all the members of this forum hope that to be possible again.

Thank you Jaakko for making this great concert possible and thanks for your comment!

I wonder if Jaakko Kuusisto is perhaps the brother of the amazing violin player Pekka Kuusisto who plays and conducts on my Ondine CD of Sibelius chamber music...hmm... ;)

Sounds like it was a fantastic concert! Any pictures?

Has anybody recorded this one, the audio file that is, not the video?

Dear Friends,

I'm delighted at all this interest in our John Williams concert in Lahti last week, and I do hope as many of you as possible take the opportunity to watch the concert on www.classiclive.com. We certainly had fun playing it!

At the same time I wish to reply to those of you who seek to record audio and/or video from the classicLive webcast. Please do not attempt to do that, even if you have the technical expertise to do so. Recording the webcast is certainly in violation of the Terms of Use at classicLive, and probably also of copyright laws. In breaking these rules, you make it much more difficult for classicLive and other operators to maintain and develop these services. In addition, you violate the rights of the musicians in question.

There is all kinds of material available on the internet, some of it legal, some not. I believe it is important that we who are friends of good music respect the rules that we know exist. In that way we will contribute to a better internet experience in the future.

Thank you!

Jaakko Kuusisto

First, let me express my gratitude for a wonderful concert.

I don't live in Finland, so had to rely on the webcast. And a wonderful that one is.

Nevertheless, in defense of some of our fellow posters, while I was able to subscribe to the service, many people seems to have had some problem with that.

Hence I can understand the requests here.

Anyhow, I do encourage everyone to log in and listen to this wonderful concert.

"Nevertheless, in defense of some of our fellow posters, while I was able to subscribe to the service, many people seems to have had some problem with that."

Hello from classicLive. If you had any problems with setting an account, watching the actual concert or any other issue with the website, please contact us at info@classiclive.com. We would love to help you, so you could actually watch this concert.

I wonder if Jaakko Kuusisto is perhaps the brother of the amazing violin player Pekka Kuusisto who plays and conducts on my Ondine CD of Sibelius chamber music...hmm... :angry:

Yes, he is!

I wonder if Jaakko Kuusisto is perhaps the brother of the amazing violin player Pekka Kuusisto who plays and conducts on my Ondine CD of Sibelius chamber music...hmm... :angry:

Those Ondine recordings of Sibelius chamber music are great. Jaakko is indeed a brother of Pekka. Jaakko is also known for his amazing talent with the violin and has recorded chamber music and violin works by Sibelius.

Sounds like it was a fantastic concert! Any pictures?

Unfortunately, it was not allowed to take any pictures during a concert.

I was curious what the Lahti hall looked like, but I found this picture, very pretty:

sibelius_hall_photo06.jpg

Those Ondine recordings of Sibelius chamber music are great. Jaakko is indeed a brother of Pekka. Jaakko is also known for his amazing talent with the violin and has recorded chamber music and violin works by Sibelius.

Yes, I love this CD! With the Tapiola Sinfonietta...those are beautiful works and gorgeously played. I didn't realize there were two brothers, both so equally talented!

But then again, musical talent seems to abound in Finland. It is extraordinary the amount of great performers, conductors, and composers that have come out of the country, especially in the last 20-30 years. They are a big presence in the music scene, even two of the large American orchestras are right now headed by Finns.

I was curious, what has contributed so much to the exploding musical culture in Finland, is it a large part due to the Sibelius Academy? I noticed that most of the famous Finnish musicians have all been schooled there.

Sorry, OT, but I find Finland rather interesting musically. :lol: I would like to visit, someday...it is certainly a beautiful and fascinating country.

The Hall is even prettier inside, all those wooden structures visible. If you visit Finland be sure to have Sibelius in your MP3-player, not the Rasmus. You should also witness the lake region in our country and Lapland too.

I was talking about the Sibelius Academy with my friends yesterday and noticed that I haven't answered to your message. Sorry for the late reply!

I was curious what the Lahti hall looked like, but I found this picture, very pretty:

Yes it is! Like Carnifex said, it is even prettier inside. A few more pictures from the Sibelius Hall:

_Panosibbe2a.jpg

sibelius_hall_photo01.jpg

But then again, musical talent seems to abound in Finland. It is extraordinary the amount of great performers, conductors, and composers that have come out of the country, especially in the last 20-30 years. They are a big presence in the music scene, even two of the large American orchestras are right now headed by Finns.

I suppose you mean Vänskä and Salonen.... I've seen both of them many times! :D

I was curious, what has contributed so much to the exploding musical culture in Finland, is it a large part due to the Sibelius Academy? I noticed that most of the famous Finnish musicians have all been schooled there.

Sibelius Academy is the only music university in Finland and all of our internationally known talents have studied there. It is in fact one of the biggest music universities in Europe.

The Academy has contributed to developing musical culture in Finland but I don't believe we should be thankful only to it. We have here many possibilities to study music and I believe that teaching music to children is one of the most important part of our music education.

I would like to visit, someday...it is certainly a beautiful and fascinating country.

You should visit during one of our high quality music festivals. A few good choices might be: Sibelius Festival in Lahti, Naantali Music Festival (mostly chamber music), Savonlinna Opera Festival, and Musica Nova festival (contemporary music).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that due to great demand this Williams concert at classicLive can still be watched until December 31st. Hope you'll enjoy it!