Rosenman's LOTR is better than Shore's.

Admiral Holdo

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares for Shore.

btw this is a great comment by Marcus :

But Williams' work is, viewed from the vantage point of musical craft, equal in quality to that of many of the greatest 20th century composers, and superior to many more, and this is why he is in fact held in increasingly high esteem also in the "classical" world (hey, ask Kurt Masur, Yo-Yo Ma, John Corigliano, Seiji Ozawa, Leonard Slatkin, Itzhak Perlman, Placido Domingo, Barbara Bonney, or countless of the other prominent members of that community that he has worked with).

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

But Williams' work is, viewed from the vantage point of musical craft, equal in quality to that of many of the greatest 20th century composers, and superior to many more, and this is why he is in fact held in increasingly high esteem also in the "classical" world (Placido Domingo he has worked with).

I think you have mistaken him for Pavarotti :thumbup:

But Williams' work is, viewed from the vantage point of musical craft, equal in quality to that of many of the greatest 20th century composers, and superior to many more, and this is why he is in fact held in increasingly high esteem also in the "classical" world (Placido Domingo he has worked with).

I think you have mistaken him for Pavarotti :thumbup:

Nope. I'm referring to the opera Williams was approached to do, but has so far declined, and not "Yes, Georgio!". :thumbup:

Who cares for Shore.

btw this is a great comment by Marcus :

I see, this has finally turned into another thread of "who cares for anyone but Williams" and pointless worshipping of JW with opinions and argumentations that were being repeated already ad nauseam by many others a long time ago.

Funny really, since this was originally nothing but a general expression of admiration for Rosenman's score.

I don't care whether "members of the classic community" like Yo-Yo Ma praise Williams or not. It's questionable whether those folks are familiar enough with film music to name someone besides Williams anyway.

And besides, who would not be praising the guy you share a CD cover with?

Nobody would say Hayden Christensen was convincing as Anakin because George Lucas and Natalie Portman praise him.

Not that JW doesn't deserve the praise, but if you want to find positive feedback on a composer by somebody "important", you will find it.

For god's sake, there are classic lovers who adore Zimmer's Gladiator!

I don't care whether "members of the classic community" like Yo-Yo Ma praise Williams or not. It's questionable whether those folks are familiar enough with film music to name someone besides Williams anyway.

51tXKr91K3L._SS500_.jpg

61A7DPJE8AL._SS500_.jpg

51asopf0b0L._SS500_.jpg

41T0BXRD0KL._SS500_.jpg

As for the rest, give people a little more credit. Professional "classical" musicians do, I suspect, go to the movies. Are they more or less likely than ordinary folks to notice the composer?

As for LOTR ... Rosenman's score is quite good on its own terms. I rate it ****/*****. Shore's magnum opus, on the other hand, is, in my opinion, a bona fide five-star masterpiece, and one of the greatest feats of film music ever accomplished. Shore's place in film music's upper tier is secure, in my book. Is he "better" than Williams? Like Goldsmith, he's different from Williams. And like Goldsmith, I won't bother pitting them against each other.