Rosenman's LOTR is better than Shore's.

Admiral Holdo

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosenthal,on the other hand...

Oh yes! Clash of the Titans has one of the grandest and most romantic main title themes of all time! The composer in his liner notes wrote that he was requested to imitate Richard Strauss. Well in my opinion he wrote a theme that Strauss would have been incredibly proud to have penned.

The only HP score that can take on any single LotR score and win is Prisoner of Azkaban.

But even that cannot take on all 3 LotR scores combined.

So I respectfully disagree with Brother Mark.

Get off the fence and pick a side! Everyone knows you can't be a Williams fan and like LotR too!

And another stellar example of the blind idiocy that haunts this board sometimes.

You may be right, let me rephrase that ...

Hedwig's Theme takes any theme in LotR and wipes it's ass with it
The scores to HP 1 and 3 are vastly superior to anything in LotR

And two other stellar example of the blind idiocy that haunts this board sometimes.

Get off the fence and pick a side! Everyone knows you can't be a Williams fan and like LotR too!

Ray Barnsbury

Says who?

And another stellar example of the blind idiocy that haunts this board sometimes.

:P Your powers of perception are truly shocking! Let me rephrase:

"Get off the fence and pick a side! Everyone knows you can't be a Williams fan and like LotR too! ;):):P"

Clearer now, I'm sure.

You may be right, let me rephrase that ...
Hedwig's Theme takes any theme in LotR and wipes it's ass with it
The scores to HP 1 and 3 are vastly superior to anything in LotR

And two other stellar example of the blind idiocy that haunts this board sometimes.

Hmm, sounds like an example of someone's personal, subjective opinion to me. Couldn't someone just as easily accuse you of "blind idiocy" for liking LotR more than the Potter or Star Wars scores?

Ray Barnsbury

I'm still trying to figure out how admiring Williams work and regarding it higher than others', no matter honest and well thought out the opinion is, is equal to "blind fanboyism". It's like this place is turning into FSM.

When it come to epic scores,a lot of non Williams score are better than LotR.

For example,Horner's Krull is facinating from start to finish,something I can't say of LotR

Prisoner of Azkaban is the best score in the world. ROTK beats any other Potter score, but not PoA. TT is as good as SS.Fellowship is worse than all the Potter scores except the fourth.

I'm still trying to figure out how admiring Williams work and regarding it higher than others', no matter honest and well thought out the opinion is, is equal to "blind fanboyism". It's like this place is turning into FSM.
Yes, I agree.

I'm still trying to figure out how admiring Williams work and regarding it higher than others', no matter honest and well thought out the opinion is, is equal to "blind fanboyism".

It isn't.

But for it not being blind fanboyism, you need respect for other works, even if you find them "boring as hell".

LotR is a massive achievement, and if you claim it is fact that it's boring, then that is, well, you named it.

the LOTR scores IS a masterpiece.

But its bellow any masterpieces from Williams :)

I dislike everything arround Harry potter, except the music.

I like the LOTR films and its scores.

I'm still with KM.

When it come to epic scores,a lot of non Williams score are better than LotR.

For example,Horner's Krull is facinating from start to finish,something I can't say of LotR

What's facinating about it? It's a good album, with some of Horner's best work. Now LoTR, that's facinating, whether or not I love it at all times. Always facinating (Aside from 'Shelob's Lair'. Never liked that cue.)

As has been argued elsewhere, most prominently in this thread's title, Rosenman's LotR is musically superior to Shore's more modest efforts.

This comes as no surprise, as Shore's LotR scores really aren't that great, from a purely musical perspective. They are adequate as film scores, but they don't really do so much for their respective films (in as much as they neither make or break their films, although there are moments when I am inclined to think the latter...).

As music, it is cliched, simplistic and melodically uninspired, and very, very derivative, and, IMO, quite dull. The orchestrations are awkward at best, and as a musical interpretation of Tolkien's world, it is quite sad, IMO.

(And I can't tell you how many orchestra musicians I've heard bitch about the LotR "Symphony",-it is apparently horribly boring and trite).

I think these scores tend to split us board members in two camps (very roughly):

1. The film score fan, who enjoys the score as it relates to a film, and the experience (and possibly revisitation) of that film

2. The symphonic music fan, who enjoys film scores as modern, post-/neo-romantic classical music, and who will tend to be unimpressed by Shore's LotR scores as such.

(Both are, I think, quite valid. The latter tends to have many of us come across as "fanboys" to members of the other camp, simply because we will insist, time and again, that Williams always writes better music than his living colleagues, because he is simply a much better composer.)

Yet completely inaccurate....

I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing Marcus has ever posted, nor have I found much pleasure in reading his posts, which are mostly poorly done attempts to support his own opinion with so-called statistical data, friend or fellow composers musicians that agree with him (thereby lending credibility to his opinion) and lot's of big words to show us that he supposedly knows what he's talking about.

(And I can't tell you how many orchestra musicians I've heard bitch about the LotR "Symphony",-it is apparently horribly boring and trite).

Completely irrelevant.

Music in general is performed for the benefit of a paying audience, not the musicians that perform it. Their job is only to perform it as well as they can.

Wether they like what they are performing is not something that is of any interest.

(besides, I'm sure there are still countless of orchestra's who consider film music beneath them, even by someone like Williams)

As has been argued elsewhere, most prominently in this thread's title, Rosenman's LotR is musically superior to Shore's more modest efforts.

This comes as no surprise, as Shore's LotR scores really aren't that great, from a purely musical perspective. They are adequate as film scores, but they don't really do so much for their respective films (in as much as they neither make or break their films, although there are moments when I am inclined to think the latter...).

As music, it is cliched, simplistic and melodically uninspired, and very, very derivative, and, IMO, quite dull. The orchestrations are awkward at best,

What a load of utter, UTTER shite. UTTER UTTER, UTTER UTTER... UTTER... SHITE.

Fucking hell that post was shite.

Capital letters equal effect.

Disagree? UTTER BOLLOCKS. As was proven in that frankly daft post regarding HS's lotr. If you don't get what I just said I don't give a F.

Intelligently put, Sir.

Agreed.

Yet completely inaccurate....

I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing Marcus has ever posted, nor have I found much pleasure in reading his posts, which are mostly poorly done attempts to support his own opinion with so-called statistical data, friend or fellow composers musicians that agree with him (thereby lending credibility to his opinion) and lot's of big words to show us that he supposedly knows what he's talking about.

Completely irrelevant.

Music in general is performed for the benefit of a paying audience, not the musicians that perform it. Their job is only to perform it as well as they can.

Wether they like what they are performing is not something that is of any interest.

(besides, I'm sure there are still countless of orchestra's who consider film music beneath them, even by someone like Williams)

^_^

You have no idea how much support you're currently getting from my fiancée!

She's with me now, and she's completely on your side!

:)

I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing Marcus has ever posted, nor have I found much pleasure in reading his posts,

I like his posts. And I also like Jeshopk's posts. They are the most musically oriented posters here.

And good writers . Most importantly both really likes Williams ^_^

After a while here I've noticed that "musically oriented posters" sometimes talk shit.

Often I agree with said shit. Other times I disagree with it.

The fact that I talk to hornists and bloody percussionists alike says I should respect the odd Kaboom-Tish, but in all honesty; I like my part-time (often pointless) nature!

Sue me! ^_^

I dunno, sometimes I think our overlymusically inclinded members are a little stiff and fall into the stereotypical classical snob category with an odd twist.... They unlike other classical snobs, consider Williams as a classical man, and shun every other composer.

lol,imagine if we had a JWfan reunion at a Boston Pops concert ,and a fight breaks loose in the audience."CNN reporting.Gang members form a mysterious cult who call themselves JWfans disrupted tonight's concert at the Pops.Apparently the 2 casualities,one refered to as "The Grand Master" and the other as "The Great Eye",insinuated during a performance of Hedwig's Theme that the "gondor theme" was better and all hell broke loose...Police are searching for a suspect who goes by the name of "King Mark"."King Mark" is said to have mastered magical spells of great power and should be approached with extreme caution.... "

;) Nice scenario there, KM.

But yeah, I've really noticed the increased tensions around here over various people's perceptions of other people's perceptions of Williams and other composers. It's just too much!

Ray Barnsbury

;) Nice scenario there, KM. But yeah, I've really noticed the increased tensions around here over various people's perceptions of other people's perceptions of Williams and other composers. It's just too much!Ray Barnsbury
Yes...we should be able to say we like a JW score w/out being called a blind fanboy, and say we like another composers' score w/out being bashed. I'll begin:

I LOVE THE SCORES TO THE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN TRILOGY!

.I think these scores tend to split us board members in two camps (very roughly):1. The film score fan, who enjoys the score as it relates to a film, and the experience (and possibly revisitation) of that film2. The symphonic music fan, who enjoys film scores as modern, post-/neo-romantic classical music, and who will tend to be unimpressed by Shore's LotR scores as such.

I was going to go w/ option 2, but LOTR are one of my favorite film scores. Then I thought about it more, and decided that I am both option 1 and 2. Your division of the forum may be accurate to describe some people, but it sucks at describing me!

Funnily enough, bickering NEVER gets old.TGE, who begrudgingly admits (not really) that bickering is THE be-all and end-all of all online discussion.

What? Bickering is already old! Let's start a fight about this!! ;) I agree w/ The Great Eye.

Honestly, I ultimately like and respect the opinions and indeed the "blind" people themselves too much to actually fight with them.

For instance, yes King Mark's opinions can suck, but I mean, I look forward to each and every one. Or Luke is totally annoying, mainly because his logical reasoning is questionable at best, but man this place would be boring without him making some absurd connection between my defending Hans Zimmer and my opinion of Astrophysics.

:blink: