Patrick Doyle Interview

mahler3

For anybody interested to hear my interview with Patrick Doyle you can click on this link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e1futs

We had a good chat regards his big concert event happening this Sunday evening:

http://www.lrf.org.uk/en/1/patrickdoyle.html

and also chatted about his relationship with Kenneth Branagh, his composing process and of course his work on Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire.

Some of his music is incorporated into the interview. Hope you enjoy it.

Tim :blink:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know why this hasn't gotten any feedback yet.....I listened to it earlier- terrific interview! Informative, you (obviously) knew what you were talking about (unlike many composer interviews), And Doyle seemed totally engaged.

Good stuff.

May I ask- in what function did you contact him?

Which basically means that PD has just gained a whole new level of respect here on this board, which in turn will lead to his future scores being 'reviewed' in a much better light, as far as peeps on here are concerned.

Its amazing what a good personality (and reverence to JW) can do for one's rep AND work, here on the JW board.

Something in the vein of "it's a honor to follow the footsteps of true master like Williams", and he also said he hopes Williams didn't mind him changing a bit the harmonies in Hedwig's theme.

Which basically means that PD has just gained a whole new level of respect here on this board, which in turn will lead to his future scores being 'reviewed' in a much better light, as far as peeps on here are concerned.

Its amazing what a good personality (and reverence to JW) can do for one's rep AND work, here on the JW board.

Doyle seeming like a truly nice guy doesn't make his score for GoF any better, if that's what you're hinting at.

Ray Barnsbury

Problem is, Doyle has also always seemed a nice guy, but that didn't stop people from jumping at his throat when he made some comment about Williams that wasn't 100% pure worshipping.

Problem is, Doyle has also always seemed a nice guy, but that didn't stop people from jumping at his throat when he made some comment about Williams that wasn't 100% pure worshipping.

When did that happen?

Ray Barnsbury

Some of us here already had plenty of respect for Doyle, we don't need him to praise Williams for that.

And just because a lot of us (including me) think GoF was lacking doesn't mean we're going to condemn all the man's works. Personally I just recently got a hold of Henry V and think it's very good.

Thanks all for the very kind feedback, most here know how highly I have always regarded Doyle and indeed his work for Goblet of Fire. I've had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times and he really is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and very funny too! So talented, unlike many composers he also is a fine actor and tenor!

Composers he admire other than Williams are Goldsmith (he was at the Brosse / LSO concert) whom was one of his inspirations to compose for film.

Morlock in answer to your question, the interview was arranged through his producer and agent, Maggie Rodford.

The Royal Albert Hall concert really was one of the best concerts i've ever attended, very close to Williams & Goldsmith - to hear Derek Jacobi & Kenneth Branagh do live Shakespeare readings with Doyle's music being beautifully performed by the LSO was quite simply electrifying! And Alan Rickman is officially the coolest man that ever lived!!!

When he waltzed onto the stage with his commanding presence he received probably the biggest applause of the night (which appeared to surprise him slightly) and just oozed charisma. He spoke candidly about working with Doyle on Sense & Sensibility and Ang Lee's amusing misunderstanding of English - stating that Doyle endeavoured to write beautiful music for the movie in the original liner notes. Also on-set frolics with Kate Winslet.

The most amusing story was actually told by Robbie Coltrane, as Doyle hates cars he gets bored when Coltrane speaks to him about them. So when they were performing at a theatre, one night after the show they went to the pub with the rest of the crew and Coltrane started to ramble on about cars as usual. As soon as he went around each of the crew they fell to the floor pretending to faint - this continued with each person that Coltrane tried to talk to about cars. Seemingly Doyle had planned this mass prank!