ET: The finest example of THE END in scoring history?

Quintus

From the moment the spiral spaceship door closes on ET to the slow close-up of Elliot (pounding drum finish), JW did indeed complete his 'perfect' score and these final moments encompass everything that was right about that movie. The slow, almost yearning strings as the ship rises, the stunning fanfare that follows before THAT close-up is just so cinema magical - the very definition of the medium, that I can't think of another cue quite as effective as it.

In fact if this moment did have any competition, it would be JW again; with the final moments of Star Wars:EpIV. But as rewarding as that send-off is, it lacks the closure and sheer emotion of ET.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably is, yeah. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything . . .

Although there are many great JW endings, E.T. seems to be the most satisfying, most emotional, most perfect.

From the moment the spiral spaceship door closes on ET to the slow close-up of Elliot (pounding drum finish), JW did indeed complete his 'perfect' score and these final moments encompass everything that was right about that movie. The slow, almost yearning strings as the ship rises, the stunning fanfare that follows before THAT close-up is just so cinema magical - the very definition of the medium, that I can't think of another cue quite as effective as it.

In fact if this moment did have any competition, it would be JW again; with the final moments of Star Wars:EpIV. But as rewarding as that send-off is, it lacks the closure and sheer emotion of ET.

i would agree, but then I hear the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and I can't agree or disagree, both are perfection!

i would agree, but then I hear the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and I can't agree or disagree, both are perfection!

Exactly. To make a perfect trio, I would add "Throne Room" from "Star Wars".

The editing is the best thing. The big close-up of Elliot and then a hard cut to black. Awesome!

The music, while absolutely magnificent in itself, I've found to be perhaps a tad too large for the scene the last times I saw the film.

The final act of Close Encounters, however... :)

Exactly. To make a perfect trio, I would add "Throne Room" from "Star Wars".

The Star Wars ending doesn't compare with the other two in terms of emotion and imagery, nor should it.

In another thread we were discussing the similarity between the opening of "The Planet Krypton" from Superman and the introduction of R. Strauss' "Thus Spake Zarathustra" as heard in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The very end of the E.T. score (not counting the credits) seems to again recall that work. Perhaps the final close-up of Elliott has some relationship to the shot of the star child? The ending of E.T. is great regardless, but that similarity to 2001 always seemed to make it even better. I mean what could be more fulfilling the whole orchestra building to a grand C major chord? Timpanis repeating open-fourths was considered cliché or at least recognizable enough for Mel Brooks to make it a joke in Spaceballs, so something about it seems to resonate perfectly for the ending of E.T.

I think it would be a little fishy if the best end SCORING in a film happened to be attached to the best ending in a film. I mean, how much of this is tainted by the film's awesomeness? I think that a crappy film could easily be the best end scoring too.

The final 15 minutes of E.T. (both film and score) still give me goosebumps and make me tear up, even after 25 years.

Just a fantastic marriage of film and music.

E.T is the best finale, yes.

It's actually not that great visually, but the editing and the music are perfect.

Williams elevated the film in only a way that someone like he could. He put his heart and soul into it. He literally became, E.T.

He even made the blackened heart of AI, shed, almost a tear.

The finale music is so great because the finale of the movie itself is great. If the movie had ended with E.T. dying, do you think the music would have been equally great?

The finale music is so great because the finale of the movie itself is great. If the movie had ended with E.T. dying, do you think the music would have been equally great?

well the music played when he died was just as beautiful but different

My thoughts exactly.

I will add though, that while it isn't quite in that category, the end of Jaws is one of my favorites endings ever. After that wonderful, tense, exciting score....we're allowed to breath. That gives a perfect sense of completion, the waves and that pastoral passage...simple and perfect way to end such a momentus score, and film.

I like the ending of Hook the best, as well as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I've always found the finale of Hook to be rather underwhelming. I mean, the farewell cue as a whole a great, but the very end is markedly unceremonious compared to the rest of the unabashed score. Sorcerer's Stone is definitely one of the best finales in recent years, though.

Ray Barnsbury

I've always found the finale of Hook to be rather underwhelming.

I totally agree. It fits the film like a glove and properly goes back to the sound established for London/the real world earlier in the score, but after everything that comes before it does feel a bit "meh". And on top of that the Hook end credits are also one of Williams' most disappointing, with The Lost Boys Chase and the last part of the Finale being requoted note for note.

I like the ending of Hook the best, as well as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

I've always found the finale of Hook to be rather underwhelming. I mean, the farewell cue as a whole a great, but the very end is markedly unceremonious compared to the rest of the unabashed score. Sorcerer's Stone is definitely one of the best finales in recent years, though.

Ray Barnsbury

Hook has an entirely appropriate finale. The Neverland theme and Family theme counter each other until the Family theme wins out, ending on a large, feel-good chord. I agree the beginning of the track is better, but the finale is still great.

And on top of that the Hook end credits are also one of Williams' most disappointing, with The Lost Boys Chase and the last part of the Finale being requoted note for note.

But they have one of the best renditions of the flying theme!

Hook has an entirely appropriate finale. The Neverland theme and Family theme counter each other until the Family theme wins out, ending on a large, feel-good chord. I agree the beginning of the track is better, but the finale is still great.

It's appropriate, just a little "meh" as Mr. Crichton has so eloquently put it. :) The family theme is nice, but seems like a less heartfelt Home Alone knock-off. And that last chord just leaves me hanging.

Ray Barnsbury