Indiana Jones IV to be recorded in Los Angeles

Hellgi

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Neufeld retired in 2005. His last credited orchestration job for Williams was The Terminal (which was orchestrated mainly by Conrad Pope, btw).

Thanks, I didn't know that. A pity also, because I think JW's 1990-2001 sound really is his best (thanks to Neufeld for a big deal).

Wrong, John Williams does all his own orchestrations.

Don't get smart on me boy, I know what JW does and what Neufeld adds to his scores.

Don't call me boy, geitekop, I'm still not past you trying to bash me because i prefer the LOTR scores to Potter.

It has been well established that John Williams does all his own orchestrations and everyone else just does copyist work.

That is the order of things!

Don't call me boy, geitekop, I'm still not past you trying to bash me because i prefer the LOTR scores to Potter.

It has been well established that John Williams does all his own orchestrations and everyone else just does copyist work.

That is the order of things!

As you wish it :P

I'm still trying to figure out how we got to this point.

Just because some damn teaser trailer got pushed back and we didn't get a presidential press conference to explain why people suddenly have a massive panic attack.

And yet it still isn't as bad as certain people thiking Williams wasn't going to score War of the Worlds just because his name wasn't on the teaser poster.

With the exception of The Lost World, Spielberg films tend to have their scores survive pretty well.

Few edits, a few drops cues maybe, but nothing excessive.

I agree.

AOTC's score actually holds together well until the movie hits the last two reels. Then it all comes apart. Which is really a shame, because the original music that was in the film's final two reels is outstanding. We are only left to wonder what Williams would have come up with for the battle sequences and the scenes leading up to them.

The Lost World was hacked pretty much all the way through. Both OSTs interestingly contain a fair amount of music that was never even included in the respective films; I'm sure such music exists for a lot of movies, but these two OSTs happen to have a lot of that music, which gives the impression that the scores were hacked even more. But that's tough to really say. The Lost World suffers from poor edits throughout, as well as tracked music from other scenes. I get the feeling Spielberg didn't really care for John's work on the Lost World; it was a very different kind of action score, not doubt. More about rhythm than melody.

Ted

I think you could tell Spielberg didn't really care about many facets of TLW. You certainly get the impression his mind was elsewhere entirely and he left everyone else to do their own thing. When JW's work wasn't quite what he wanted, he opted to get a sound editor to fix it rather than drag Johnny through the mud with re-writes and constant rescoring.

I think there was a lack of communication between the Berg and most of his regulars on that film-- notably Johnny, because a great deal of percussive music got ditched and tracked with melodic tracks. Though replacing 'The Hunt' with 'The Lost World' was peculiar -- 'The Hunt' is very melodic, exciting and fits the scene dramatically. Who knows --- I doubt SS cared that much by the end.

Yes, Conrad is already working on Indy IV. Don't know if he's the only one.

As some of you pointed out, "orchestrating" for JW is merely taking notes from the sketches and moving them to the right staves on a full score. Although, knowing JW, he wouldn't trust just anyone to do this; so since they've been working together for about 15 years, we can safely assume Conrad Pope is one the best orchestrator in the business (which he actually is, by the way - he worked with us on the 79th oscars and he was just amazing).

H.

Actually John Neufeld is JW's main orchestrator, I believe.

You're debating with yourself... I never said Conrad Pope was JW's main orchestrator.

Hellgi

You're debating with yourself... I never said Conrad Pope was JW's main orchestrator.

Hellgi

:thumbup:

And yet it still isn't as bad as certain people thiking Williams wasn't going to score War of the Worlds just because his name wasn't on the teaser poster.

Yes who could have forgotten the panic that followed for several weeks. :lol:

:lol:

As some of you pointed out, "orchestrating" for JW is merely taking notes from the sketches and moving them to the right staves on a full score. Although, knowing JW, he wouldn't trust just anyone to do this; so since they've been working together for about 15 years, we can safely assume Conrad Pope is one the best orchestrator in the business (which he actually is, by the way - he worked with us on the 79th oscars and he was just amazing).

H.

Hellgi

As you can see yourself the person you're quoting is suggesting that Conrad Pope has been Williams' main orchestrator. So I am nuancing your source's comment, if I may.

H.

Hellgi

As you can see yourself the person you're quoting is suggesting that Conrad Pope has been Williams' main orchestrator. So I am nuancing your source's comment, if I may.

Is it me or some persons here just don't know how to read proper English?

H.

Hellgi

Is it me or some persons here just don't know how to read proper English?

I just found the following remark sounding like Conrad Pope would be the only one trusted by Williams to do his orchestrations, which wouldn''t do right to Neufeld. Apparantly you didn't mean it like that, so I apoligize for the misunderstanding.

Although, knowing JW, he wouldn't trust just anyone to do this; so since they've been working together for about 15 years, we can safely assume Conrad Pope is one the best orchestrator in the business
MSM is from the Netherlands.

Allow me to apologize on behalve of my country and my people.

And on behalf of yourself...it's behalf, not behalve

:P

Having spelling difficulties, are we? :P

AND grammar difficulties :P

I think this proves that English should be taught more thoroughly in high school in The Netherlands :lol:

Still I'd like to know if Hellgi still thinks my comment is stupid or that it makes any sense now :)

It keeps amusing me how much of a fuzz some people make of spelling mistakes. I don't mind them, unless posts become really unreadable. I always try to spell properly myself, but I am not perfect either: being Dutch, I also make spelling mistakes on occasion. But I see no need in making a fuzz out of it. :P

I don't mind spelling mistakes (I make a lot of them myself).

MSM, no harm done... I'm glad we were able to clarify the misunderstanding.

Having spelling difficulties, are we? :)

AND grammar difficulties :P

Actually, I think that was correct: 'Are we having spelling difficulties?'

:lol:

Give credit where credit's due man!

Having spelling difficulties, are we? :P

AND grammar difficulties :lol:

Actually, I think that was correct: 'Are we having spelling difficulties?'

:)

Give credit where credit's due man!

:P Of course :P

It seems I should have paid more attention in English class :)

LOL. What should it have been if not "Having spelling difficulties, are we?"? I thought that was correct, but if not, I'd be interested to know. Always happy to improve my English. :)

Don't worry, it's fine :)

Things like how you add an -ies to the end of words ending in -y to make them plural, how you capitalize "I" when it's by itself, but not "a," words like pseudonym or knife that have random letters thrown in. . . .it really is a strange language.