Indiana Jones IV to be recorded in Los Angeles

Hellgi

A large part of that is due to the stupid rules and exceptions of the English language, though.

Hahahahaha...

If you only knew, boy.

;)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A large part of that is due to the stupid rules and exceptions of the English language, though.

Why can't the English learn to speak?

Quickly, before this thread veers back on topic: Does anyone know why in an English accent, most R's after vowels are not pronounced?

Why can't the English learn to speak?

Quickly, before this thread veers back on topic: Does anyone know why in an English accent, most R's after vowels are not pronounced?

And why do their voices lower an octave when pronuncing a syllable with an R? See the opening of Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack: "I'm boooohhd" (for "I'm bored") as an extreme example.

ROTFLMAO

Yeah. It's not that it's not cool (I actually have a lot of fun imitating different accents--Irish is one favorite of mine), it just seems a bit hypocritical for Henry Higgins to speak of people butchering the English language when he doesn't even use his bloody R's!

Also, I find it interesting that the British sometimes add the letter R to the end of a word that ends with a vowel, when it's followed by a word that begins with the vowel. Like instead of "Anna and me" it'll sound like "Annar and me."

Yeah we do that a lot.

My accent has been slightly odd since I was in 6th form (16 yrs +). It's a mix of straight English/ slightly posh, and a bit of south London. Tends to change a bit depending on who I'm around.

And like you, I'm very, very impressed at how fluent a lot of people here are. I'm sure some might have foreign accents, but it doesn't show at all in posts. Heck, when I talk to Incanus on MSN, he often writes better than I do when I type too fast.

It can be quite interesting to meet some members who write excellent English, but turn out to have an accent when they speak. :thumbup:

It's something you don't really think about when you read posts here.

I love British accents. And Scottish and Irish and Australian. American not so much (sorry people). I'm not sure if I have an accent myself; I prefer to think that I have no accent over me having a Dutch accent. I would very much like to talk with a decidedly British accent. That would be cool. I never really manage to do it properly though. :D

It is amazing how far away from a topic one can navigate in the course of some pages!

Marcus (who has an American accent, and is typically "placed" somewhere in New England, although his native tongue is Norwegian, and who would love nothing better than to have a tuneful mid-atlantic accent, ca.1948!)

All accents sound ridiculous upon hearing them for the first time, no matter where you live.

I would say I still find some foreign accents to be silly after all these years.

Even some of the more mangled English of Deep Southern accents sound silly to us Texans, who have a much different dialect.

Personally I like British, Scottish and Aussie accents, but not so much Irish or New Zealand. In particular I really like a British northern accent (Christopher Eccleston) or what I guess is extreme Welsh or "Scouse" I think is the term (thinking of Craig Charles, Lister in Red Dwarf, and Jeff from Coupling).

K.M.Who was rooting for Amanda

I was only half paying attention. It started out good, but went downhill quickly after it was obvious the whole game was full of strategic dunces. I miss Yul. And Hatch, when he gets out of jail.