What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to mention that I'd watched Rear Window for the first time a couple of works ago. I enjoyed it a lot and you have to marvel at the superb technical achievement it is, but the climax left me somewhat disappointed. It seemed the plot was building to a brilliant twist, but it didn't happen and the feeling was a little deflating, especially after the very entertaining (with brilliant scripting) events of the rest of the movie. The unintentionally hilarious gimmick of the 'flash photography' in the closing moments didn't help either; the scene was probably very effective and tense back in the day, but 50 years later its kinda laughable, in the way that the dream sequences of the amazing Vertigo are.

4/5

I disagree. The moment with the flash photography was one of the most thrilling scenes Hitchock ever created.

I agree that the climax was rather...anticlimactic, but most of Hitchock's climaxes are. I still think it's a masterpiece of film.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's so laughable about it. Years (and multiple viewings) after first seeing the film, I've gotta say that the scene when Lisa is investigating is still a wonderful intense scene of suspense. That's masterful filmmaking there: you know exactly what's gonna happen, and you're still on the edge of your seat saying, "Get the heck outta there!"

Another thing that sticks out to me about it is the atmosphere. The cinematography, the set, the distant music...it all comes together to make this unique, delightful atmosphere. It's one of the things that draws me back to the film.

I agree. And I love how Stewart has

two broken legs

at the end of the film (not sure why I put that in spoiler tags).

Ed Wood: Well, it was a good film, but I don't think it's anywhere near Burton films such as Big Fish, Sweeney Todd, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. It did have fantastic main titles, probably my favorite by Burton. And a great score by Shore, depending on what Intrada and Varese release, I may have to buy it. 3/5 stars

Battlestar Galactica Season 3: Amazingly weak season. Maybe this series was never any good to begin with.

"Amazingly weak"? Really? In comparison to what?

I'll grant that season three has a few too many stand-alone episodes that bear too little relation to the show's overall story. However, there are also superb episodes like "Occupation," "Precipice," "Exodus" (Parts 1 and 2), "Collaborators," "Unfinished Business," "Rapture," "Taking a Break From All Your Worries," "Maelstrom," and "Crossroads" (Parts 1 and 2).

That's half of the season that, by my count, is downright awesome. As for the rest of the episodes, though they might be somewhat disappointing in relation to the rest of the series, they're still mostly strong examples of good storytelling and good filmmaking.

I'm not sure what's "amazingly weak" about any of that. Maybe you can clue me in.

I compare it to the first season which I enjoyed the most. This season, the episodes on New Caprica were good because we were faced with new circumstances and put in new positions. That's four episodes. The rest of them were simply not good because they suffered from mediocre writing and unfresh ideas. The thing that bothered me the most is that almost each of those standalone episodes merely muddled on while working its way towards a sentimental climax. 'Sentimentality' was clearly the primary goal. That's okay for one, maybe two espisodes, but by the gods, all of them? And a lot of Battlestar Galactica is just filling time with stuff they already did many times before, like the blonde Cylon appearing in Baltar's head. It's becoming dull. There's not enough inventiveness, not enough exploring of bounderies, not enough science fiction. None of that showed up when the show presented its 'spectacular' twist at the end of the series. My reaction was a sighing, "Oh, please!"

Yes, I said "amazingly weak" because Season 3 failed to offer me reasons to watch Season 4. In short, I wasn't sufficiently entertained. I did not learn from it. It did not make me better.

Alex

Burn After Reading

I'm not just sure how many stars I would give this film. Mainly because it is the first Coen brothers film that feels the least like their style, even though it has it's classic moments. I thought it was a great film, I had a wonderful time in the theater, but it's hard to rank it against their previous films.

The cast is pretty much perfect. Tilda Swinton doesn't really provide anything, but she doesn't take anything away. Clooney, Malcovich, McDormand, and Pitt were all excellent. Clooney really had some stellar moments, I loved the overall serious tone of the movie about these idiots. Burwell's overly dramatic and percussion filled score was awesome, and during the scenes where nothing comedic was happening, the seriousness of the movie just made me laugh.

The expression on Pitt's face right before Clooney shot him was hilarious.

Shoot 'Em Up was miles better than Wanted. For me, Wanted didn't have that same comedic ridiculous plot style. It was quite boring throughout the beginning, and supposed twist towards the end was just stupid. It took a serious turn, which is what killed it. Am I supposed to feel sorry or sad for Angelina Jolie during that scene? The exploding rats didn't make me laugh as I thought they might have.

Shoot 'Em Up > Wanted

Clive Owen and Giamatti alone make it better.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Outstanding in almost every way.

Based upon several storylines from several of the Patrick O'Brian books, the script never feels disjointed. It's a well put together story that puts emphasis on character rather then plot or action, but when those come into play, the result is rather gripping.

Russel Crowe brings his considerable charisma to bear as Jack Aubry, and Paul Bettany is in splendid form as his friend, doctor and confidante Stephen Maturin. The rest of the cast is rounded of by well-chosen character actors.

Peter Weir does a great job in setting the time and place, and mood and athmosphere both on the ship, and on the gorgeous Galapagos Island sequence.

The special effects in this movie are exactly 100% how they should be, completely invisible. Watching the DVD's extra's, I know a life-size ship, a miniature and a CGI model were used, but I honestly have no clue which of the 3 were used in any point of the film. Brilliant to see a film that hides it's effects so well.

The music is a mixed of classical, baroque and a textural and percussive score by Christopher Gordon, and beattifully enhances this already great film.

And of course the DVD has one of the great DTS tracks.

**** out of ****

Just a quick question: As a non-Trekkie, is Star Trek: Nemesis any good? I've not followed the series, but I really liked First Contact, since that was just a good sci-fi movie in it's own right. Basically, does one really have to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy Nemesis? Because if so I won't bother 'getting' it.

Cheers.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

(...)

And of course the DVD has one of the great DTS tracks.

The first twenty minutes of that movie is the perfect sound demo. It has everything from subtle surround effects through music and dialogue to a big sea battle. I watched just that part on our downstairs system (which has quite a bit more punch than the tiny speakers on my room) and it was fantastic. I was on that ship and cannons were being set off in my living room.

Of course it helped that my parents weren't around...

Wanted, an unbelievable but entertaining film, with Angelina Jolie looking like a wrathe, totally unsexy, eat some fat honey. overly thin is more unhealthy than overly fat.

I greatly enjoyed the film.

I didn't like it at all. Wanted was better than Shoot'em Up though

We usually agree on most things...but here our paths diverge. I love me a big dumb action movie that knows how dumb it is about once a year. Had a great time with both Wanted and Shoot 'Em Up.

@Quint: I'm a casual fan of the ST movies, and I must say, I found Nemesis rather boring. Though I was pleasantly surprised by Insurrection.

Saw The Untouchables today. Fun film. I think less of it each time I see it, though. Morricone is the star of this film for me. The mismatch between the material and Mamet, and between Mamet and De Palma, would be so much more obvious if not for Morricone's brilliant work.

Also saw Tarsem Singh's The Fall. I've never seen a movie of his before, and this was certainly an experience. The story of little girl in an L.A. hospital who meets a recovering stuntman. The stuntman begins to tell her an epic fantasy tale, which has more and more meaning as it goes on. Some wildly imaginative images. The little girl was charming. I must say, the fantasy elements of it felt a bit too elementary...the actual story was presented through stunning imagery, but the dialogue and characterization are extremely stilted. There's some explanation for it....but not enough of it for my liking. I did not buy the fantasy element of the movie, though I appreciated it's sometimes amazing imagery.

Also saw the first episode of Battlestar Gallactica. Liked it. I'll check this one out, at least the first season. The music was absolutely horrendous, though, and you call that a title sequence?!

Also saw the first episode of Battlestar Gallactica. Liked it. I'll check this one out, at least the first season. The music was absolutely horrendous, though, and you call that a title sequence?!

The music is definately an aquired taste, but it gets better as the show goes.

I don't want to know who told you about that. :|

It does get better though, the mid season finale for season 4 had a wonderful score.

There have been a lot of really well-scored episodes of Battlestar Galactica. It's a toss-up between that and Lost for best-scored show on tv. (Although Doctor Who probably isn't too far behind when it's at its best.)

I really like Elfman's score.

As for the film...I wouldn't see it if you payed me to.

we payed 50 cents each to see it. it was worth it

Go on then, I'll give it a go. It'll do for when there's nowt on the box.

I liked it. Like you, I greatly enjoyed First Contact as it stood by itself as an exciting movie. This one's far more action-packed, which is not really Trek but I personally found it refreshing. Go for it.

I don't want to know who told you about that. :P

It does get better though, the mid season finale for season 4 had a wonderful score.

There have been a lot of really well-scored episodes of Battlestar Galactica. It's a toss-up between that and Lost for best-scored show on tv. (Although Doctor Who probably isn't too far behind when it's at its best.)

Murray Gold's work for Who is outstanding. Skill questions aside, he's easily second only to Giacchino's Lost in terms of thematic content. By the time of Series 4 he didn't write any new themes, just continued to play with the ones he already had, to great effect.

To be honest, I love the main titles theme of Battlestar Galactica. The french Horns (legato fifth) and the tribal rhythms in particular.

Me too, but it's the choral part I like most. The proper one, not the version used in season 1.

I just saw The Dark Knight. I give it a C+. Worse than Batman and Batman Returns. The deep "thesis" or "thesi" of the film fell flat for me. The action was again difficult to follow at times, and I didn't care nearly enough about the characters for what they expected me to. There were some really cool parts, though. However, for trying to be so plausible that they actually spoiled the fun, they also failed to be plausible. Cell phones as sonar, with batman seeing just perfectly with them? Please! There were many things that did not make sense about this film. Why would Batman have to take the blame to save Harvey's reputation when they could have just as easily said it was Joker. The whole thing about the surveillance and Bush was ridiculous, because suddenly Freeman was acting as though his good friend Bruce Wayne was as untrustworthy as GWB. It was pretty lame, but also cool at times. The music was so so. Not any better than the first, and nowhere near as good as Elfman's.

I just saw The Dark Knight. I give it a C+. Worse than Batman and Batman Returns. The deep "thesis" or "thesi" of the film fell flat for me. The action was again difficult to follow at times, and I didn't care nearly enough about the characters for what they expected me to. There were some really cool parts, though. However, for trying to be so plausible that they actually spoiled the fun, they also failed to be plausible. Cell phones as sonar, with batman seeing just perfectly with them? Please! There were many things that did not make sense about this film. Why would Batman have to take the blame to save Harvey's reputation when they could have just as easily said it was Joker. The whole thing about the surveillance and Bush was ridiculous, because suddenly Freeman was acting as though his good friend Bruce Wayne was as untrustworthy as GWB. It was pretty lame, but also cool at times. The music was so so. Not any better than the first, and nowhere near as good as Elfman's.

The Dark Knight is so much better than Batman and Batman Returns that they're practically not even in the same medium. Those movies have better scores (by far), and they have better female characters, but that's about it.

Licence to Kill.

Steely-eyed Timothy Dalton fits right into this unusually stylistic Bond thriller that takes a few risks that other films in the series never tried. It's well linked to OHMSS, and the drug cartel plot is actually fresh and original for a Bond film, and Robert Davi is a pretty cold and frightening villain.

My only problem with it is it feels more like an episode of Miami Vice rather than a James Bond film, and I can't help but wonder if John McTiernan secretly ghost-directed this film, since you've got actors from Die Hard and Last Action Hero, with a score by Michael Kamen, which only solidifies that Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon feel about it.

Was that just the trendy way to make action movies in 1989?

Licence to Kill.

Steely-eyed Timothy Dalton fits right into this unusually stylistic Bond thriller that takes a few risks that other films in the series never tried. It's well linked to OHMSS, and the drug cartel plot is actually fresh and original for a Bond film, and Robert Davi is a pretty cold and frightening villain.

My only problem with it is it feels more like an episode of Miami Vice rather than a James Bond film, and I can't help but wonder if John McTiernan secretly ghost-directed this film, since you've got actors from Die Hard and Last Action Hero, with a score by Michael Kamen, which only solidifies that Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon feel about it.

Was that just the trendy way to make action movies in 1989?

It's sort of an oddity in the series, but I like it, too. Dalton was a damn good Bond; I've never understood why he wasn't better-liked.

The Dark Knight is so much better than Batman and Batman Returns that they're practically not even in the same medium. Those movies have better scores (by far), and they have better female characters, but that's about it.

:P

I saw part of the Season Premiere of SNL, I taped the half I missed.

I was fairly dissapointed. Sure there were some funny moments, like the first skit and Weekend Update, but a lot of it just seemed like near carbon copies of old skits that were so hilarious (the political comedian, the weird children, the swimming dance, etc.). Hopefully I'll feel better about it when I finish it later.

I could see what its lofty goals were, but it sacrificed a lot of screen time to achieve those goals, and those goals failed. Batman and Batman Returns can work as pure entertainment. The Dark Knight can only work as a believable modern drama, and at that it fails. The whole thesis of the film was unbelievable and pointless. This is a "deep" film, and not an entertainment film. Scratch the surface of the movie's message, and how it tried to outline it, and you get a bunch of BS. Like Icarus, it tried to acheive too much and failed in my eyes. It tries very hard to be "timely" and it just doesn't make any believable, valid or interesting points about its subjects - terrorism, vigilanteism, anti-heroes, law enforcement, or society. For its extended finale, we get the same "choose who dies" plot device 3 times in a row! This is a comic book movie for people who don't like comic books. And I like comic books.

I saw part of the Season Premiere of SNL, I taped the half I missed.

I was fairly dissapointed. Sure there were some funny moments, like the first skit and Weekend Update, but a lot of it just seemed like near carbon copies of old skits that were so hilarious (the political comedian, the weird children, the swimming dance, etc.). Hopefully I'll feel better about it when I finish it later.

Oh, god, I just finished watching that. It was horrible. The opening segment was pretty good (Tina Fey made a GREAT Sarah Palin), but otherwise, it was an abysmal episode. Michael Phelps was about as poor a host as a host could be. Oh yeah, there was also an amusing Digital Short, but even it was no classic.

It was uncanny, how much Fey looked and sounded like Palin.

Phelps isn't the greatest actor, but to be fair, I don't think he had that many funny lines (actually, I don't think anybody did).

I haven't seen the Digital Short yet.

Apparently Obama was supposed to appear, but he couldn't make it or something.

And as for Lil' Wayne...no.

Like Icarus, it tried to acheive too much and failed in my eyes.

When you typed that, did you look at it for a second and wonder if maybe you should delete it and type something else that wasn't so . . . um, how do I put this . . . douchebaggy?

Because you should have.

(Tina Fey made a GREAT Sarah Palin)

Oh... uh... hmm. I thought that was her.

Ah, if only Tina Fey could . . . wait, no, can't say anything political.

Tina Fey is hotter than microwaved balls. Man, I am a sucker for a sarcastic woman in glasses. Can't wait for the new season of 30 Rock.

When you typed that, did you look at it for a second and wonder if maybe you should delete it and type something else that wasn't so . . . um, how do I put this . . . douchebaggy?

Because you should have.

No need to take it personally. I gave it a C+. That's what I give films that were generally a good experience, but deserve to be criticized. Everyone judges films "in their eyes." Unless you consider public opinion first. Nobody here does that, do they?

(Tina Fey made a GREAT Sarah Palin)

Oh... uh... hmm. I thought that was her.

Ah, if only Tina Fey could . . . wait, no, can't say anything political.

:P

Speaking of SNL, does anybody know why Meyers only does Weekend Update? It was like that last season to, why hasn't he done anything else?

The Big Lebowski (****)

Love every minute of it.

Why?

Because it's f---ing hysterical. The acting is great, the dialogue is outstanding, the visuals are top-notch at every turn. What's not to love?

Then it still could go wrong, not that I'm not saying that's the case with The Big Lebowski. It just doesn't appeal to me. I guess you have to like the humor.

I love The Hudsucker Proxy and O Brother, Where Art Thou. I love the Coen Brothers. And yet, some of their films I simply don't get attuned with. I somehow find the subject of The Big Lebowski too mundane (it seems to relish the 'dude' people - a phenomenon that doesn't amuse me), Intolerable Cruelty too ordinary and everyday (can't believe this is Coen brothers), and Fargo too annoying and nagging after a while.

Alex

Because you should have.

No need to take it personally. I gave it a C+. That's what I give films that were generally a good experience, but deserve to be criticized. Everyone judges films "in their eyes." Unless you consider public opinion first. Nobody here does that, do they?

Would it help if they put a few Ewok in it?

Guffaw!

It's a funny old world. For me personally, The Dark Knight is one of the best films I've seen this year and it is certainly one of the very best superhero movies ever mounted. I couldn't give a crap about the original comic book iteration.

I like Tim Burton's original two, good solid entertainment with nice throwaway plotlines but I do prefer the complexities and more mature feel of Nolan's Gotham City. Burton's versions were already pretty dark, but Chris Nolan's TDK is pitch black and brilliant for it.