Face it, Michael Giacchino is the new John Williams

David Coscina

With all due respect to Erik Woods. Giachino has not written anything of the caliber of Jaws, Star Wars and it's sequels, E.T, Jurassic Park, Schindlers List, Close Encounters etc...etc....

Wow you left out Indiana Jones...

And remember that Williams had not written those at the age giacchino has...Only Jane Eyre is of that caliber.

Steef you can blame Spielberg for that term.

If it had been George Lucas we would be hearing things like 'Lucas raped Williams' or something ;)

I'd say The Rare Breed and others are also better than what Gia comes out with at the same age.

With all due respect to Erik Woods. Giachino has not written anything of the caliber of Jaws, Star Wars and it's sequels, E.T, Jurassic Park, Schindlers List, Close Encounters etc...etc....

And remember that Williams had not written those at the age giacchino has...Only Jane Eyre is of that caliber.

I'd say The Rare Breed and others are also better than what Gia comes out with at the same age.

Yes but i dont know if it could be considered masterpiece by Williams standards.

I don't think it is kind to Michael Giacchino to call him the 'next John Williams'. There will only ever be one John Williams. There will only ever be one Michael Giacchino. Even though I enjoy William's music more at the moment, I am glad Giacchino seems to not be copying Williams style. His music has a fresh sound, and what he writes is new. What John Williams writes is new, also, but if Giacchino wrote like Williams, it would not be new, it would be copying, even if he could pull it off convincingly.

Colin Thomson

I am glad Giacchino seems to not be copying Williams style. His music has a fresh sound, and what he writes is new. What John Williams writes is new, also, but if Giacchino wrote like Williams, it would not be new, it would be copying, even if he could pull it off convincingly.

Have you ever heard his early videogame scores?

Really I think Giaachino has done a great many things easily better than that.

Giaachino is actually a really skilled composer that is far above the standard of music in The Rare Breed. Has has good melodic skill although not really any better than what Williams shows in the rare breed, but what Giaachino does have that the Rare Breed and other Williams of the 60's doesn't, is very strong emotional depth and some modernism. He has a good amount of modernism in his music with some unique orchestrations and interesting harmonies, mainly in his brilliant action music. Infact not even Jane Eyre is good enough to out do Giaachino, really need Jaws and Star Wars.

But he has not only done that but exceeded jane eyre. Try Call of duty and Lost. He's one of the few composers who can make be cry infact.

And he also has some intellectual quality to his music.

Williams is about the only composer whose music I blindly buy regardless of the film. Although Alexandre Desplat is fast becoming a composer whose work I will seek out and listen to examples first before I buy- and usually there's something in there that I like so I end up getting it. I have a lot of John Powell scores in my collection and some I've purchased based on word-of-mouth or reviews I have read. I bought MI:3 without having heard it.

For JN Howard, I will usually wait for examples online. I used buy his stuff but a couple scores really disappointed me so I went back to being more cautious. Mind you, if it's his Shyamalan work, then I will buy it hands down without having heard a bar. It's stellar stuff.

There isn't a composer who I buy completely blindly because everyone's output varies. Example: I didn't buy Geisha because the film wasn't for me, and I'm not a fan of oriental music, so it just didn't have that absolute appeal. It's like Schindler's - I respect, but don't entirely enjoy it.

For me, it's mainly based on the the composer's reputation with the type of movie involved. JNH and Shayamalan for example have always produced what I consider great scores, but I will still listen to samples or indeed download the album to get a feel for it. So if JW decided to score a Disney animation (please, no remarks, it's just speculative), I would want more assurances than I would if he does indeed score Deathly Hallows. Then JNH goes and does a score like Michael Clayton. He may be my favourite composer, but MC was just boring to me, and Zimmer would be loved by this forum sooner than I bought the CD.

In short: I don't automatically assume that any composer's latest output is going to be a goldmine, and that includes Williams.

I buy Williams blindly everytime, even Goldsmith. Actually I buy quite a few composers blindly, in fact I've done the same with Giacchino. I'm comfortable enough with composers I like to know whether or not I'll enjoy their music.

I am glad Giacchino seems to not be copying Williams style. His music has a fresh sound, and what he writes is new. What John Williams writes is new, also, but if Giacchino wrote like Williams, it would not be new, it would be copying, even if he could pull it off convincingly.

Have you ever heard his early videogame scores?

Present tense. Yes, when he was getting started, Giacchino had similar style, orchestrationaly and compositionally. But listen to Ratatouille. I think it is safe to say Giacchino is developing his own style, and it is turning out to be quite refreshing.

Colin Thomson

Has has good melodic skill although not really any better than what Williams shows in the rare breed, but what Giaachino does have that the Rare Breed and other Williams of the 60's doesn't, is very strong emotional depth and some modernism. He has a good amount of modernism in his music with some unique orchestrations and interesting harmonies, mainly in his brilliant action music. Infact not even Jane Eyre is good enough to out do Giaachino, really need Jaws and Star Wars.

By the 60's while the films Williams was scoring might have not needed that modernism, he surely was using it on his concert works... but wait, that isn't for the movies, so what de we care about them?

But he has not only done that but exceeded jane eyre. Try Call of duty and Lost. He's one of the few composers who can make be cry infact.

And he also has some intellectual quality to his music.

Now, now... that's plain silly...

As Merkel said, had he wrote anything as good as Jane Eyre, I too would be a fan.

Well a lot of his music is better than anything in Jane Eyre and any pre-Jaws Williams score... I mean there's a part of Call of Duty, that has an eulogy for soldiers in a very hard part of the game where many die, brings me to tears.

Hence it's plain silly that you aren't a fan! :)

Well a lot of his music is better than anything in Jane Eyre and any pre-Jaws Williams score... I mean there's a part of Call of Duty, that has an eulogy for soldiers in a very hard part of the game where many die, brings me to tears.

Look, it's great that this music has such a great impact on you -- afterall, art is all about that.

But please, don't full yourself.

I live and breed John Williams music, but I know that in the bigger picture, Williams is just a very good composer. He is no Beethove, or no Stravinsky...

He just happens to be my favorite.

Hence, you're post is plain silly.

Look, it's great that this music has such a great impact on you -- afterall, art is all about that.

But please, don't full yourself.

I live and breed John Williams music, but I know that in the bigger picture, Williams is just a very good composer. He is no Beethove, or no Stravinsky...

He just happens to be my favorite.

Hence, you're post is plain silly.

Why, because a bunch of elitist classical music critics say so? I mean... Don't sell Williams short he's a composer of exceptional skill. There are many hugely talented composers around, but I think to put Beethoven and Stravinsky on such an incredibly high mantel as is often done, is equally as hubris an act by classical music fans as calling Williams the best composer ever.

Call of Duty is not that good.

Jane Eyre is excellent, and even more amazing that is was written for a TV movie.

Have you heard any of Giacchino's TV movie scores? Semper Fi, My Brother The Pig, and Redemption of the Ghost are excellent! Semper Fi I would consider one of Giacachino's greatest achievements.

As for Call of Duty... it's a raw, gritty score that doesn't glorify war the way the action adventure scores of MOH did. it is a difficult listen. However, Call of Duty: Finest Hour is something speical. The "End Titles" is a gorgeous hymn for symphony and orchestra that never fails to give me goosebumps. Superb writing.

-Erik-

Jane Eyre is excellent, and even more amazing that is was written for a TV movie.

Have you heard any of Giacchino's TV movie scores? Semper Fi, My Brother The Pig, and Redemption of the Ghost are excellent! Semper Fi I would consider one of Giacachino's greatest achievements.

Hey :beerchug: dont get me wrong, i was not saying that Giacchino's TV Music was bad, in fact i was not talking about Giacchino TV music at all. Just saying that it was amazing that John Williams wrote such great work for a TV film.

As for Call of Duty... it's a raw, gritty score that doesn't glorify war the way the action adventure scores of MOH did. it is a difficult listen. However, Call of Duty: Finest Hour is something speical. The "End Titles" is a gorgeous hymn for symphony and orchestra that never fails to give me goosebumps. Superb writing.

-Erik-

I'd love to hear Finnest hour. I heard a game rip with awful quality but the end credits have a voiceover all over it and its unlistenable. It Seems the best track :)

Hey :) dont get me wrong, i was not saying that Giacchino's TV Music was bad, in fact i was not talking about Giacchino TV music at all. Just saying that it was amazing that John Williams wrote such great work for a TV film.

Ah Ok.

-Erik-

I don't see why everybody's saying he's a failure because he's not at the level JW was at when he was 40. It's not like every composer hits their stride at the exact same time in their lives.

I don't see why everybody's saying he's a failure because he's not at the level JW was at when he was 40. It's not like every composer hits their stride at the exact same time in their lives.

I completely agree. I really don't get why we continue to play this game of comparison between him and JW. Let Giacchino be Giacchino! :)

Call of Duty: Finest Hour is something speical. The "End Titles" is a gorgeous hymn for symphony and orchestra that never fails to give me goosebumps. Superb writing.

-Erik-

Is there any type of release of this score? I know the original was only released with the PC game, is that the same for Finest Hour?

One more thing, I vividly recall reading somewhere that Giacchino was doing the most recent Simpsons Game, they even used MoH in the TV commercial. However, it seems Jim Dooley actually did the music. which makes more sense considering Hans Zimmer did the movie.

Are any of his TV movie scores available?

Unfortunately, no.

-Erik-

Call of Duty: Finest Hour is something speical. The "End Titles" is a gorgeous hymn for symphony and orchestra that never fails to give me goosebumps. Superb writing.

-Erik-

Is there any type of release of this score? I know the original was only released with the PC game, is that the same for Finest Hour?

I believe it is. I was sent the score on its own from Michael when the game came out.

One more thing, I vividly recall reading somewhere that Giacchino was doing the most recent Simpsons Game, they even used MoH in the TV commercial. However, it seems Jim Dooley actually did the music. which makes more sense considering Hans Zimmer did the movie.

I have no idea what happened there but I thought Christopher Lennertz scored The Simpson's Game?

-Erik-

That's exactly why I won't give you his/her name. I don't want you to go tell his assistant I wrote stuff about how MG works on a public forum. The stuff I wrote could very well be considered confidential by MG, or - most simply- he or his assistant might not appreciate the fact that I disclosed stuff that were never meant to be posted on a public forum in the first place.

So, please understand the fact that I won't help you "back up my story."

H.

Ever heard the expression, "full of s**t unless proven otherwise?"

You just did.

Not according to IMDb: http://imdb.com/name/nm0233199/

Michael's page on Wikipedia has The Simpsons Game listed under his filmography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Giacchino

Is this the game you are talking about?

http://www.music4games.net/Review_Display.aspx?id=132

-Erik-

I would like to back up your story with this assistant you said you talked to.

-Erik-

That's exactly why I won't give you his/her name. I don't want you to go tell his assistant I wrote stuff about how MG works on a public forum. The stuff I wrote could very well be considered confidential by MG, or - most simply- he or his assistant might not appreciate the fact that I disclosed stuff that were never meant to be posted on a public forum in the first place.

So, please understand the fact that I won't help you "back up my story."

H.

I hope you've learned your lesson.

-Erik-

Oh, snap! Looks like someone got told! Don't nobody go messing with Erik Woods no more!

-Erik-

I believe it is. I was sent the score on its own from Michael when the game came out.

I need to look around for this. I just checked Amazon and couldn't find it.

Is this the game you are talking about?

http://www.music4games.net/Review_Display.aspx?id=132

-Erik-

I think so. There have been so many Simpson's games. I was referring to the most recent one released not too long ago.

-Erik-

I'd love to hear Finnest hour. I heard a game rip with awful quality but the end credits have a voiceover all over it and its unlistenable. It Seems the best track :)

yep,that's all I could find too I got an untitled 5.52 "Track 45" with narration.would love to hear it without

Why is everybody picking on Hellgi? he always provides us with facinasting remarks and knowledge and has been proven totally reliable in the past. I really don't need him to give us any names to know what he's saying is true.

As for AI, dude, when you're nominated for an Oscar and have the body of work Giacchino alreay has, plus you actually allow people to hear your music, then you can make claims that you can do better.

I did allow people to hear my music, at least a small part of it, which I wrote out of my heart.

But anyway,

People achieve their goals at different paces and periods in their life. I don't begrudge MG for having his body of work thus far, good for him. My own path is different, but equally valid. I don't need an Oscar nomination or a bunch of soundtracks under my name to give me validity. My time has not yet come for this, but I believe it will. That is my right, everyones intrinsic right, to have some or all of their desires to become real.

Your comment is not what I find a constructive one, and it's really rather nonsensical in the bigger picture.