5th grader familiarity of JW themes

Eric_JWFAN

After dedicating the better part of the last couple weeks to John Williams in my 5th grade music class (that's what we do every year in early February) I can come to the conclusion that the most recognizeable themes in order are:

1. Harry Potter

2. Star Wars Overture

3. Jaws

4. Imperial Death March

5. Raiders main theme

6. Jurassic Park (Our school is 15 minutes from Universal's Islands of Adventure where JP is played in the park)

7. NFL on NBC

8. Superman

9. E.T.

Not one kid in the classes recognized CE3K, the NBC News theme nor the '84 Olympic theme. But they will now.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Harry Potter

2. Star Wars Overture

3. Jaws

4. Imperial Death March

5. Raiders main theme

6. Jurassic Park (Our school is 15 minutes from Universal's Islands of Adventure where JP is played in the park)

7. NFL on NBC

8. Superman

9. E.T.

I'm suprised HP is number one, I would think more people would recognize Jaws or Star Wars. And I'm suprised that the football themes are more recognized than Superman and E.T., wow!

That's pretty much what I would have expected from young kids like that. Well, expect for the NFL theme. I don't even remember that. :o

1. Harry Potter

2. Star Wars Overture

3. Jaws

4. Imperial Death March

5. Raiders main theme

7. NFL on NBC

8. Superman

9. E.T.

I'm suprised HP is number one, I would think more people would recognize Jaws or Star Wars. And I'm suprised that the football themes are more recognized than Superman and E.T., wow!

5th graders. Think about how old most of those movies are. Think about who the main audiences and fans of those films are. Most of them are over the age of 25. Except for Potter fans.

Also, think about exposure. The Potter, Star Wars and football themes are repeated all over the media. The kids will be lucky to watch any pre-90s Spielberg movies at any point in their childhood.

By Jurassic Park, do you mean the theme or the fanfare played in Journey to the Island? Because I would think the latter would be more recognizable.

Yeah I meant the fanfare.

The currend generaton is going to hell

Indeed!

Sadly, I agree, and I'm one of them. The current generation has no appreciation for the finer things like John Williams. For god's sake, they think Klaus Badelt is a master because of his work on 'Pirates'! Fools!

Sadly, I agree, and I'm one of them. The current generation has no appreciation for the finer things like John Williams. For god's sake, they think Klaus Badelt is a master because of his work on 'Pirates'! Fools!

Know one knows who Klaus Badelt is, they give the credit to Hans Zimmer.

Actually, I find most fans of the Pirates soundtrack believe Badelt to be the composer, not two dozens monkeys with sequencers... I mean Zimmer. He is, after all, credited as such.

Henry's right. One example I remember: when it was announced that Williams would not be scoring GoF, the Mugglenet kids were almost beside themselves expressing how badly they wanted the Pirates composer, Badelt.

Henry's right. One example I remember: when it was announced that Williams would not be scoring GoF, the Mugglenet kids were almost beside themselves expressing how badly they wanted the Pirates composer, Badelt.

:( I'm a big fan of CotBP, but a Zimmer clone....for Potter???? That's just too weird.

:( I'm a big fan of CotBP, but a Zimmer clone....for Potter???? That's just too weird.

Not weird, just terrible.

Terrible.

TERRIBLE!!!

After dedicating the better part of the last couple weeks to John Williams in my 5th grade music class (that's what we do every year in early February) I can come to the conclusion that the most recognizeable themes in order are:

1. Harry Potter

2. Star Wars Overture

3. Jaws

4. Imperial Death March

5. Raiders main theme

7. NFL on NBC

8. Superman

9. E.T.

Not one kid in the classes recognized CE3K, the NBC News theme nor the '84 Olympic theme. But they will now.

My music teacher should try this. I'd kick @$$. :(

The currend generaton is going to hell

Indeed!

It makes sense HP is tops, since it's more popular with today's youth.

Cut the kids some slack! How many 5th graders even consciously go out to obtain film music?

I can't even comprehend what a Badelt Harry Potter would sound like, and I don't want to.

Probably like the latter half of "Quidditch World Cup."

~Sturgis

I remember that dark chapter in film music history all too vividly.

• 1 month later...

Badelt's work on The Time Machine is pretty good. Somewhat based on Jerry Goldsmith, but good nonetheless. I had been looking forward to what else Badelt would come up with. But now, several years later, it seems I have an answer to that: Badelt came up with nothing else. Shame. :)

I had a bunch of Korean kids for a summer English camp a couple of years back.

I used to put on some background music while they were writing in their diaries.

I didn't play a whole lot of Williams. but they recognised some Harry Potter pieces immediately.

For those kids, those movies were the biggest movie events in their lives.

The recognised several of Joe Hisaishi's anime scores immediately as well, My Nieghbor Totoro in particular.

Exactly the kind of comment I'd expect from the Spanish Inquisition.

That's impossible. NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition :P