Yes, Giorgio

Maestro

How much of Yes, Giorgio did Williams write exactly? Here I have been listening to the album and loving it and praising my hero for how beautiful it is - only to find out that he only wrote the main theme? I guess that just goes to show the inherent danger within me of blindly praising something under the presumption that John wrote it, because he wrote it - even if he didn't.

Unless someone can tell me that he wrote more than the main theme.

Williams only wrote the song "If We Were in Love", lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman. The song was integrated into the score, by composer Michael J. Lewis.

The lp and later cd (both long out of print) include little music by Lewis (only the overture, I believe) and two versions of the song (one sung by Pavarotti, the other orchestral). The rest are mostly songs and opera arias performed by Pavarotti.

If you love so much the music, you should try to get the Michael J. Lewis promo that features his complete score (including several tracks with Williams theme).

An orchestral version of "If We Were in Love" can also be found on the Boston Pops recording, Aisle Seat.

A very beautiful version!!

You're absolutely right! It's one of my personal favorites.

• 1 year later...
Williams only wrote the song "If We Were in Love", lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman. The song was integrated into the score, by composer Michael J. Lewis.

The lp and later cd (both long out of print) include little music by Lewis (only the overture, I believe) and two versions of the song (one sung by Pavarotti, the other orchestral). The rest are mostly songs and opera arias performed by Pavarotti.

If you love so much the music, you should try to get the Michael J. Lewis promo that features his complete score (including several tracks with Williams theme).

I'm looking into the covers in david vincent site , and it seems Williams conducted some classical pieces (Lewis conducted both 'If we were in love' renditions)

Do you have some more info?

It may be errata.

yesgiorgio_inside2.jpg

I just checked my LP -- don't have the CD, sadly -- and all I can say is that the way the credits are printed make for a dubious interpretation. Nevertheless, I can assure you that Williams did conducted both versions of his theme, and only those, nothing more.

I've never heard "If We Were in Love", so I looked up this Aisle Seat album and when I saw what else was on it, I grabbed one for cheap. So hopefully I can hear this in a few days. ;)

• 1 month later...

I've just listened to the Yes, Giorgio score and was wondering if anybody could tell me anything much about the music.

I know that Williams wrote the music for "If We Were In Love," and that the actual score was by Michael J. Lewis. However, was that the full extent of Williams' involvement?

The reason why I ask is that the "Overture" sounds a little bit like Williams to me, and I can't quite figure out why. It occurred to me that it could be because it is Williams, and that the reason it doesn't sound more like Williams is due to his not having conducted the music.

Anybody know anything about this music? Other than that Pavarotti in English sounds weird?

I've just listened to the Yes, Giorgio score and was wondering if anybody could tell me anything much about the music.

I know that Williams wrote the music for "If We Were In Love," and that the actual score was by Michael J. Lewis. However, was that the full extent of Williams' involvement?

The reason why I ask is that the "Overture" sounds a little bit like Williams to me, and I can't quite figure out why. It occurred to me that it could be because it is Williams, and that the reason it doesn't sound more like Williams is due to his not having conducted the music.

Anybody know anything about this music? Other than that Pavarotti in English sounds weird?

Once upon a time, you would have been able to find this information at Jeff Eldridge's site, specifically at this page, but during a renovation process several years ago, he took down a lot of his content. This phase was supposed to be temporary, but you know how it goes...

CORRECTION: I'm looking through the Internet Archive of The John Williams Web Pages, and it looks as though he may never have had an actual page for Yes, Giorgio.

OK, here's an image from the soundtrack album at David Vincent's site:

yesgiorgio_back.jpg

Identical info: http://musicby.jw-music.net/img/covers/yes...gio_inside2.jpg

Huh!

Thanks for that image. It pretty much answers my questions, although the Overture still sounds like Williams to me (it's a pretty piece, either way, so I don't actually care too much who wrote it).

I didn't know there was an actual soundtrack to that movie, but it had never occurred to me to search for it as a Pavarotti album. I've got the score on a bootleg that also has SpaceCamp, and it's got pieces that don't appear to be on the soundtrack. They're not very notable, though not bad.

Thanks!

In the early stages of production, Williams was asked to write the score, but eventually, he only wrote the song.

The score was written by Michael J. Lewis, and he incorporated Williams song in some cues. He also conducted his score, while Williams recorded the song, both with Pavarotti, and an orchestral version, back in Los Angeles.

The score was never officially released, besides what is on the Pavarotti album posted above.

Lewis released a promo that included the complete score, and that was the source used for the bootleg.

I have this soundtrack. on cassette. ;) (London Digital PDV5 9001)

i've looked for it on CD, and have never found it. I'm confused... that scan above looks like a scan of an official CD release of the soundtrack. but it's not???

Anyone have this on CD ?? I'd like to get John's tracks of course, but also am interested in finding this particular recording of Turandot on CD, it's excellent!

I have this soundtrack. on cassette. ;) (London Digital PDV5 9001)

i've looked for it on CD, and have never found it. I'm confused... that scan above looks like a scan of an official CD release of the soundtrack. but it's not???

Anyone have this on CD ?? I'd like to get John's tracks of course, but also am interested in finding this particular recording of Turandot on CD, it's excellent!

That scan is from the only official release, identical to the one you have on tape.

• 15 years later...

I can see some used copies of the cd being sold at Europeans Amazon. Is it worthy to pick this up or do you think there will be any kind of reissue sometime soon?

Thanks!

I've not heard anything about a reissue, although Michael J. Lewis' THEATRE OF BLOOD was recently reissued, so one can wonder if it's the beginning of a Lewis "revival", including YES, GIORGIO.

The song (and as far as I understood Williams just composed the song) Is also contained in the upcoming 20 CD boxset "The Legend of John Williams".

And the instrumental version is as well contained in one of the Boston Pops albums. I just forgot which one.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've not heard anything about a reissue, although Michael J. Lewis' THEATRE OF BLOOD was recently reissued, so one can wonder if it's the beginning of a Lewis "revival", including YES, GIORGIO.

Is he related to Michael J. Fox?