IJ4: Track 5 "The Snake Pit"

Josh500

Bowie, as always, your analysis please. ;)

Okay, let's discuss this fun cue. What does everybody think of it?

SPOILERS!!! (I just didn't feel like blacking out parts of every post I make. So if you haven't seen the movie yet, get the hell outta here.)

Okay, I just loved that whole sequence in the movie. Sure, it's silly, but this is also one of the moments that had me laughing out loud. I mean, we know of Indy's fear of snakes, and here Spielberg is taking advantage of that fact shamelessly. When you hear "Snake Pit" you'd think JW would come up with music as dissonant and hissing as the cue in "Well of Souls" but this couldn't be more different. Somehow reminiscent of Indy's Very First Adventure in its lightheartedness and stumbling humor, and accompanies the scene quite well. To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to the music here, I was wondering whether the HUGE snake was real or CGI or some kind of ultra-realistic Stan Winston puppet. Looked damn real to me, if you ask me.

One of the best moments of Indy 4, movie-wise as well as score-wise, IMHO.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I believe Stan Winston was involved.

It's a comical cue which is probably un-neccessary given that Raiders and TOD didn't require comical music to show Indy's fear of snakes. Granted LC did but it was part of a long action sequence.

Yes I believe Stan Winston was involved.

It's a comical cue which is probably un-neccessary given that Raiders and TOD didn't require comical music to show Indy's fear of snakes. Granted LC did but it was part of a long action sequence.

I thought you haven't seen the movie yet!

Well, this scene isn't exactly there to SHOW us that Indy is afraid of snakes, but it takes advantage of the fact that Indy's scared of snakes and makes it funny. It's just there for comical relief . . . but I thought it was hilarious!!! Made me laugh right out loud.

The title of the cue gives it away as to what's going to happen plus the tone of the music. We all know he's afraid of snakes.

Plus I read an article about the making that discusses Stan Winston.

Actually, you would think that the title of the track gives it away, but it actually doesn't. Just have fun seeing the movie tonight, and get back to us.

yes i was expecting a pit filled with snales :D

I think there is a real snake involved. (of course not when mutt is pulling people out with it :) )

if not pretty amazing.

Weren't people complaining that this track had no unifying theme? Becuase it very obviously does...

Yeah, I was surprised by those comments, as it has a fun little motif running throughout that gives a feel somewhat similar to "The Basket Game" (not that I'm putting this track on that level). But it's a good one, and worked well in the film. Nice rhythm throughout.

Actually, you would think that the title of the track gives it away, but it actually doesn't. Just have fun seeing the movie tonight, and get back to us.

Yes the track title gave it away. There was nothing special about that scene, it pretty much played out as expected.

What about the whole elephant/snake thing with Willie?

Anyways, I love the cue and the scene. Though I thought the scene was funnier when Indy and Marion were just talking, it was still friggin hilarious when Shia kept shoving the snake in Indy's face. Can't wait to see it again tommorrow!

"Say: 'Take the rope!'"

This is a great cue, definitely one of the best on the album. And it may be unintentional, but it sounds like a little hint of "The Basket Game" at 2:28 to me.

Probably my fav cue of the album. Reminding of Basket Chase this is like Williams' old action scherzo's, although I'd still prefer the witty melody of that one.

On my first listen, this track sounded realy boring to me with little sense of direction. Now I like it quite a lot and there actually IS a sense of direction. It makes me think of The Basket Chase, though isn't quite that good.

To clear things up: The snake was real for the most part, except, of course, for when it was used as a rope, there a synthetic snake (made by Stan Winston's studio) came into play.

To clear things up: The snake was real for the most part, except, of course, for when it was used as a rope, there a synthetic snake (made by Stan Winston's studio) came into play.

do you have this fom the cmplete making of indy book? i am planning to buy it.. is it worth? :mrgreen:

do you have this fom the cmplete making of indy book? i am planning to buy it.. is it worth? :(

Yep, it's from the book. And I would totally recommend buying it. I've just flipped through it and checked the beginning of the "Crystal Skull" part, so I don't know how much Williams-info is in it.

On my first listen, this track sounded realy boring to me with little sense of direction. Now I like it quite a lot and there actually IS a sense of direction. It makes me think of The Basket Chase, though isn't quite that good.

I feel the same way. It's one of those tracks that musically it doesn't affect me but then I see the movie and I like it now because it's one of my favorite scenes. Because I really I really like the scene a lot I now love the music that was part of it!

Really liked this track on the album, especially how it kind of recalls "The Basket Game." I also loved the nod to "Indy's First Adventure" in the immediate opening notes (0:00-0:03).