One of Indy's last lines in KOTCS

Maestro

I thought the script and Harrison Ford's performance did a great job of honoring the character of Indiana Jones in this movie. They played up his age just right, and the only time he actually felt old was in the bored voiceover work in the very beginning of the film.

This was definitely the Indiana Jones we remember all right...all up until that RIDICULOUS line near the very end, when he says, "

Somewhere your grandpa is up there laughing.

"

All of a sudden, with this one line, the suave, sarcastic adventurer/teacher became an old redneck geezer. Indiana Jones would never utter those cliché, trite words. And he would never deliver them with that dopey, smug, old-timer tone.

Am I the only one who cringed during this sappy line, which absolutely flies in the face of this character?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the script and Harrison Ford's performance did a great job of honoring the character of Indiana Jones in this movie. They played up his age just right, and the only time he actually felt old was in the bored voiceover work in the very beginning of the film.

This was definitely the Indiana Jones we remember all right...all up until that RIDICULOUS line near the very end, when he says, "

Somewhere your grandpa is up there laughing.

"

All of a sudden, with this one line, the suave, sarcastic adventurer/teacher became an old redneck geezer. Indiana Jones would never utter those cliché, trite words. And he would never deliver them with that dopey, smug, old-timer tone.

Am I the only one who cringed during this sappy line, which absolutely flies in the face of this character?

Yes...

...you're pretty much the only one who cringed. ;)

The only thing that bugged me about it was that it seems like it would be more Indy's style to say "grandfather" than "grandpa."

Indiana Jones could easily have expressed the same sentiment, but something more like "My dad's probably laughing his butt off right now," delivered in a dry fashion. I don't know.

If that line had been uttered earlier in the film, I would have been horrified. But by the end, I expected it.

Hmmm, what about Indy apologising to Short Round in ToD? Or Indy having a heart-to-heart with his dad in Last Crusade?

And anyway, you acquire a certain amount of sentimentality with age, no matter what. It was a lovely line. His father died, his best friend died, he's, like he says himself, at a point where life starts to take away things. And at that point, life gives him a

son

. That's a nice moment, I'm sorry you see this through your cynical glasses.

It didn't bother me but the line did come across as lazy to me. It was obvious that Henry Sr. was in the script at some point. Connery didn't come back, but the filmmakers essentially leave his line in the movie by having Indy say "Your grandpa's up there laughing" or whatever it was. Just having a

father-son

moment at the end of the film is enough to recall the last movie, we don't need to be hit over the head with it.

I love the film, but I too disliked that line for a few reasons. After all the silly, unfounded comments about Ford's age all these years, this was about the only moment where I thought Indy really did seem too old, because he just sounded like an old man. And also, it just felt too *winkwinknudgenudge* to me. "Hey kids, remember that one where Sean Connery played the dad? See what we did here?"

So there are two people I blame for this: 1) Koepp, because unlike other things in the script that could've come from previous writers, this one most certainly would've had to come from him. And 2) Connery, because had he been in it, this line wouldn't have been in the script. :sleepy:

Thank you, Mr. Ozzel.

It's not the sentiment that bothers me; it's the way the actual words and the delivery make this seem like someone other than Indiana Jones.

He expected him to understand the nodge at "Berlin" in the tent, duh!

Well if the audience never received an explanation then no wonder Indy didn't get it.

What? Are you trying to make a smart-alleck negative comment about the movie?

In the tent, Mac makes the reference of "...just like in Berlin." In the jungle chase, when Indy has Mac in a headlock, Mac tells Indy he's a double-agent with the CIA--the reference to Berlin was supposed to be understood by Indy because they were double-agents in Berlin.

Indy got it once Mac explained it in the truck. I don't have a clue what you're getting at.

The line about Henry Sr. was a little corny but it could have been worse. Indy could have said "Somewhere your grampa is smiling!" That would have been really sappy! At least "laughing" acknowledges the contentious relationship Indy had with his dad.

Would Henry, Sr. be laughing? He didn't laugh very much in Last Crusade. He'd probably be appalled that Indy had a child out of wedlock and as good as abandoned the child's mother.