The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I do not.  And that franchise's continued licensing of Who songs for opening credits makes me sad.  That band's music still has power and vitality, it's not just for old people who want to watch unengaging shit in the evening and hear a song they remember from when they were young.

I'm forced to agree with Admiral Stu. This is a terrible idea.

It's as bad as BABA O'REILLY heard on the trailer for A BUG'S LIFE, just because some joker thought that the line "out here in the fields" somehow related to ants! Fuck a duck.

I can't be sure, but wasn't THE RYTHMN OF THE HEAT used somewhere in HOMOCIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET ?

I remember when Led Zeppelin were so strict about the licensing of their music that it was considered a major event when they let Cameron Crowe use "Tangerine" and "Misty Mountain Hop" in Almost Famous.  Now they seem to have said "Fuck it, we'll take the money."

I've heard their music used in movie trailers lately, but has their music been showing up in actual films too?  Off to IMBD to see!

A lot of covers of their songs exist. Both that come to mind in films are of Immigrant Song. Shrek and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 

I also recall Jimmy Page saying he'll never let their music go into Guitar Hero because he wants kids to actually learn how to play instruments. But I think that eventually happened too. 

I like TOMMY too, but mostly for the hilarious scenes with my favourite actor Jack Nicholson, who can't sing if his life depended on it (much like Peter O'Toole in GOODBYE MR. CHIPS). But that scene with Ann-Margret? It kills me every time! :D 

New Kasabian album.

I think it's their best since *inhales* West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum.

On 01/05/2017 at 9:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm probably in the minority, here, but I love NILSSON SCHMILSSON, A LITTLE TOUCH OF NILSSON IN THE NIGHT. and THE POINT.

He belongs to s small bunch of talented, yet tragic, singer- songwriters, that includes the likes of Laura Nyro, and Judee Sill.

Paul Weller proving that age isn't really a barrier to creativity with his new gem of a record:

I've never been particularly huge on his stuff, but this I loved immediately. 

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've never been particularly huge on his stuff, but this I loved immediately. 

I'll give this a listen later on.  I've still never heard a song he was involved with that is as perfect as "Town Called Malice,"  the best non-Motown Motown song ever recorded.

Yeah not many people have probably heard that intro. It's weird as shit and even he knew it, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dangerous is great but runs a bit long. HIStory has some highlights but it's mastered too loud, and Invincible is unlistenable.

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Off The Wall

Thriller

Bad

I've put film scores away for a while and just had these on repeat. Original Japanese 1st press CDs with superior mastering, of course.

Japanese masters rock!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'll give this a listen later on.  I've still never heard a song he was involved with that is as perfect as "Town Called Malice,"  the best non-Motown Motown song ever recorded.

Not to pull a Richard, but I prefer:

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Stu, what do you think of the new Buckingham/McVie material?

I think it's a little weird they're not just calling it a Fleetwood Mac album just because Stevie Nicks isn't on it.  It's a collection of songs written and sung by Buckingham and C. McVie with Mick Fleetwood and J. McVie playing the rhythm section..... that's a Fleetwood Mac album to me.

As for the two songs released so far, they're very pleasant to listen to and I could see myself putting the album on a lot for Summer evenings on the deck drinking beer.  Reminds me of the last couple R.E.M. albums: it's nowhere close to their classic material, but it's great to hear them playing together.

That's like saying The Wall is better than Dark Side Of The Moon. It doesn't make any sense, Richard.

Go back to start, do not pass go ...

31 minutes ago, Richard said:

Of course THE WALL is better than DARK SIDE OF THE MOON!

Me and Alan Parsons disagree.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, Alexcremers said:

That's like saying The Wall is better than Dark Side Of The Moon. It doesn't make any sense, Richard.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, Richard said:

Of course THE WALL is better than DARK SIDE OF THE MOON!

Richard tried and failed on this one, unfortunately.  Dark Side is better than The Wall.

I don't even especially like The Wall.  The songs that get played on the radio are good, but the album is a tiresome, eye-rolling listen from start to finish for me.  It's when Waters got so far up his own ass he couldn't see daylight anymore.  Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are all much better albums.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't even especially like The Wall.  The songs that get played on the radio are good, but the album is a tiresome, eye-rolling listen from start to finish for me.  It's when Waters got so far up his own ass he couldn't see daylight anymore.  Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are all much better albums.

Obviously there are some great songs on there, like Comfortably Numb, Hey You, Mother, etc, but as a solid listening experience it does not rival the beautiful construction of Dark Side of the Moon.  Animals is actually my favorite Floyd album. :D

THE WALL will always remain my favourite PF album, and easily in my Top 5 if I were to list favourite rock albums of all time.

I like how we constantly swirl back to Pink Floyd in this thread!

Top 5 Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon > Wish You Were Here > Meddle > The Wall > Atom Heart Mother

I like the rest pretty equally.  

We continually return to them because there is nothing better!

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I've never been particularly fond of Dark Side. I like The Wall - it's not a favourite, but I don't play it often enough, and I'm always positively surprised by what I've forgotten about it, plus it has Comfortably Numb (and The Trial, too).

I'll absolutely take Meddle and Wish You Were Here above both, though.

For me it's a toss up between Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. I love parts from them all though, including A Momentary Lapse of Reason (Learning to Fly, Dogs of War etc). I know that album has its detractors, but it's nothing but fond memories for me.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Speak for yourself!  There's tons of art rock from the past 20 years I love. (I don't mean that sounds like Floyd)

Post up some examples, yo.  After Pink Floyd, Oldfield, and Eno, I guess I stopped looking for more.