Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

I see Joey's alzheimer's is accelerating.

unlike you I find the Lotr and Hobbit to be uninteresting. I've never been a fan of long haired men in tights. that's to faggy even for me. but hell those shoes you posted a picture of way back says alot. ;)

I see Joey's alzheimer's is accelerating.

unlike you I find the Lotr and Hobbit to be uninteresting. I've never been a fan of long haired men in tights. that's to faggy even for me. but hell those shoes you posted a picture of way back says alot. ;)

Don't be bringing your penchant for sailors into this!

My mom loves the LOTR trilogy much more than I do. Dave likes it a lot more than me as well. I'm more interested in the film for PJ's technical approach, it may be groundbreaking.

Good luck!

Here we go.

You have to scroll down to the bottom, but it's there.

I still read that he hates 3D but sorta tolerates (does he have a choice?) that his movies are also being released in converted 3D.

Weird thing is that I saw two 3D movies recently, and the converted one (The Avengers) looked real, and the real one (Amazing Spider Man) looked converted. Go figure.

Which part in particular, if I may ask?

Well, in most cases, the statement 'the 3D will be used to support... the story and actors will always come first,...' is absolute BS. I have seen exceptions to this, and it's possible Snyder has used 3D well, but most of the time it's being used to stick things out at the screen and make more money, with PR people forced to come up with lame excuses as to why it's in 3D.

3D was awesome in Captain EO. Anjelica Huston clawing at you? Michael Jackson unleashing the power of light to transform everything? Oh yeah.

Wait, we're talking about modern 3D? Yeah, screw that. I only saw Titanic because it was on a screen the size of a building and louder than a fucking garbage truck dropped off the Empire State Building.

(BB) Yeah I know that (well, a scam? I'm not totally against 3D...), hence why I hate statements like that.

My point wasn't even about the 3D aspect - it's any time an 'official statement' says something so clearly bollocks, to hide what everyone knows is the real reason.

--

I'm one of Titanic's defenders. I was very moved by the film when it came out (I was 12 or 13) and I still think it's effective at portraying the tragedy if you can see past the obligatory romance plot. I've seen parts of the conversion and it's better than some native 3D films I've seen.

And here's a more recent stance of Nolan on 3-D

Q: Speaking of technical changes, was there any pressure to do The Dark Knight Rises in 3-D?

Nolan: Warner Bros. would have been very happy, but I said to the guys there that I wanted it to be stylistically consistent with the first two films and we were really going to push the IMAX thing to create a very high-quality image. I find stereoscopic imaging too small scale and intimate in its effect. 3-D is a misnomer. Films are 3-D. The whole point of photography is that it's three-dimensional. The thing with stereoscopic imaging is it gives each audience member an individual perspective. It's well suited to video games and other immersive technologies, but if you're looking for an audience experience, stereoscopic is hard to embrace. I prefer the big canvas, looking up at an enormous screen and at an image that feels larger than life. When you treat that stereoscopically, and we've tried a lot of tests, you shrink the size so the image becomes a much smaller window in front of you. So the effect of it, and the relationship of the image to the audience, has to be very carefully considered. And I feel that in the initial wave to embrace it, that wasn't considered in the slightest.

Or 3-D will once again disappear from the stage. Given the monstrous success of Nolan, 3-D doesn't seem very important to cinema. In the end, what do people want? They want Nolan.

I'm not convinced. People wanted a "gritty" Batman, not Nolan. Gritty is all the rage at the moment, to my displeasure. Nolan just got lucky and smart with Inception - mainstream Friday nighters love to be made to feel smart and Nolan perhaps unwittingly pandered to that. Other than Batman and Inception, Nolan isn't exactly known for his popcorn cinema.

I'm not convinced. People wanted a "gritty" Batman, not Nolan.

Nope, they want Nolan because he serves classy, "intelligent" popcorn. If people wanted gritty, then Blade Runner or Watchmen would've been huge successes. Forget Spielberg, Nolan is king now. Get over it. You still have your Avatar sequels to look forward to.

A full trailer of Superman: The Man of Steel will play before the Hobbit, An Unexpected(yeah right) Journey.

Joey, "An Unexpected Journey" is a direct reference to the first chapter in The Hobbit, An Unexpected Party. It's not some cynical marketing ploy as your little remark implied, sorry to disappoint you.

Joey, "An Unexpected Journey" is a direct reference to the first chapter in The Hobbit, An Unexpected Party. It's not some cynical marketing ploy as your little remark implied, sorry to disappoint you.

I think he's mad that the seventh chapter didn't warrant its own movie subtitle --> The Hobbit: Queer Lodgings.

you failed in sarcasm class today.

I simply was referring to the fact that the Hobbit was inevitable.

the cynical marketing ploys are saved for part 2 and 3 which are simple marketing ploys as was DH2, and BD 2.

I think he's mad that the seventh chapter didn't warrant its own movie subtitle --> The Hobbit: Queer Lodgings.

yeah cause I turn everything into something homo-erotic.

Oh pish-posh. Maybe it's just me.

But tell me another chapter that offers the chance for a joke.

The Hobbit (There and Back Again):

An Unexpected Party

Roast Mutton

A Short Rest

Over Hill And Under Hill

Riddles In The Dark

Out Of The Frying-Pan Into The Fire

Queer Lodgings

Flies And Spiders

Barrels Out Of Bond

A Warm Welcome

On The Doorstep

Inside Information

Not At Home

Fire And Water

The Gathering Of The Clouds

A Thief In The Night

The Clouds Burst

The Return Journey

The Last Stage

The two that I boldfaced became movie subtitles, but nobody's been able to identify the lost chapter entitled "The Desolation of Smaug."

I never spent a moment of my life reading Tolkien, therefore I bow to your discretion.

I was just thinking hard whether or not I am excited for this film. And the answer was clear: no. Not in the least. I might if someone else was doing the music, but since that factor is also gone, there is nothing left. Superman Returns killed my interest in this character.

If it was at least something adventurous and entertaining as the Reeve films. But this Nolan-ised version leaves me more than cold.

I was just thinking hard whether or not I am excited for this film. [...] But this Nolan-ised version leaves me more than cold.

So, you're just going to dismiss the movie... before it's even out? Wow.

On the other hand, Snyder essentially says that Man of Steel 'might' play a role in 2015's Justice League. To top it off, a certain actor is in negotiations to play Batman in JL, along with another carryover from the Nolan films.

And before you guys dismiss the second bit as pure rumor mill fodder, Drew McWeeny is pretty reliable in terms of scoops.