Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

Uni...

I actually liked the Burly Brawl scene in Matrix Reloaded. Although some of the circling (fast) camera spins sort of made me dizzy but I liked the whole sequence. It just showed how much of a bad ass Neo was.

Regarding Man Of Steel, I think I'm going to avoid seeing it. I had reservations regarding The Amazing Spider-Man but I actually found it good and enjoyable to watch. With the negative reviews for MOS, I don't want to waste my time watching it and feeling disappointed.

I do agree that a lot of the reboots these days are tiresome as they retell the same stuff that was done previously before.

I'm very surprised at the lack of hype for this film around the Internet. I don't remember this negativity with Batman Begins.

Likewise maybe because Batman Begins was a better film?

Well, I really loved it actually. Hugely surprising given that I went in not expecting much at all after all the negativity here. It wasn't perfect, Snyder's vision of Krypton was like something Lucas would splatter all over the screen, and the thankfully brief robotic tentacle thingy scene toward the climax was poorly judged Michael Bay territory and pretty pointless with it, but pretty much everything else I felt Snyder nailed with satisfying, rousing aplomb. Yes, that's rousing with the aid of Hans Zimmer's often loud and chaotic, sometimes quiet and touching score; which does compliment the story and characters motivations with the use of lyrical melodic colours and definite recognisable, worthwhile motifs. The soundtrack - against all the odds - works. Amazingly, in spite of myself, I found this reboot frequently rather touching, and as the movie wrapped up with its tantalising suggestion of what's to come, the Man of Steel silver font splashed across the screen and dare I say I felt a little tear of nostalgic joy. That was by far the biggest and most agreeable surprise of all.

Some other random thoughts:

Cavill was excellent as Superman. He was perfect.

This is NO Nolan Batman movie. PHHHHEEEEEEEEEEW.

Angst's name wasn't on the guest list and was barred entry. Thank Christ. Clark DOES NOT EVER feel sorry for himself. HOORAH!

This is a very conventional summer blockbuster, a crowd pleaser. Much better than The Avengers, though. Alex Cremers will possibly be extremely gutted with it anyway.

Being that it's a conventional movie, there's one or two "bullshit!" moments which depending on how you regard Indiana Jones movies you'll either get really wound up about or happily chuckle along with.

It's much lighter than you think it's gonna be. That doesn't mean it's comical, but the fear that it takes itself far too seriously is unfounded. The tone is right for Superman.

The CGI is mostly top drawer stuff; apart from the silly Planet Krypon stuff which looked like a video game.

More humans get killed than in any other Superman movie. Roland Emmerich fans will appreciate those bits. In fact I recommend you wear your ID4 hat for this, because it's often that sort of movie. Lets just say: If you're a very serious person who takes movies very seriously then you're gonna hate this.

Lois is good in an unexpected role with plenty of unexpected things to do. She and Cavill show hints of chemistry. I liked her.

Zod was a decent villain with a backstory and reasoning behind his determination.

The Smallville parts were beautifully done and contained within them soul and warmth not too far removed from the original Donner version. Costner was good in the part, even if his final scene was unintentionally funny and a bit daft.

The photography was mainly very average, bar a handful of key iconic shots which gave me shivers. In general the aesthetic and direction is perfectly serviceable but falls well short of visual symbolism and lyricism. Most of course won't be surprised or even bothered by that.

There's an ULTRA COOL 300 style shot of Ursa kicking human butt which made me laugh like a giddy child.

Finally, Superman is, for the first time, a GOD. As he should be. I thought I was going to hate his animated flight, but I did not. His computer generated movement coupled with the elemental sound of him was the meaning of Badass.

So, plenty to improve on but with a solid foundation to be getting on with, Man of Steel is nowhere near as bad as many here have made it out to be. 4/5

I watched it a second time yesterday (the last 30 minutes in 3D), and the lack of a strong and memorable score really stood out. Cutting in "Rough Flight", "The People You Care For" and "Saving the World" from Superman Returns in this film would've worked gangbusters in the action scenes.

I think I might do that when MOS hits home video...

I've not heard the score much outside of the film so I'm not exposed to any sense of tedium to it as of it yet.

One thing though, after finally seeing it after months of speculation; I absolutely defy those who claim Williams' themes and (contemporary) style wouldn't have worked here. It's utter rubbish.

Movies don't require that Williams' style act as an all-encompassing necessity, but an orchestral approach with discernible instruments with the right composer would have worked. Zimmer's nondescript noise could have easily been replaced. That being said, I didn't feel that the music played such an important role that it got in the way.

I've not heard the score much outside of the film so I'm not exposed to any sense of tedium to it as of it yet.

I think Zimmer's quieter cues for MOS are very good, like his idea for Lois and Smallville. But his action cues just pound away in the background, sounds mushy and don't add that emotional kick to some of the scenes. And his theme is essentially a more optimistic take on The Thin Red Line.

Ottman's composing style would've been far more at home here, even without Williams' signature themes, than Zimmer does

I certainly agree about his action stuff "pounding away in the background", but I didn't mind since my ears were already being bombarded by the sound effects. But yeah, the quieter moments along with the dramatic, suspenseful scoring I felt Zimmer did alright. I thought he did good and better than he might have.

Whether or not this all makes for a decent car CD is another thing entirely, but since I gave up on that thankless pursuit years ago I'm content with what I got as far as the movie's soundtrack is concerned.

Any topless Lois Lane?

Sadly, no. Not even a single cleavage shot.

It's nothing like The Dark Knight series. More like a Michael Bay film. Literally.

Karol

In most of Michael Bay's films, his main characters are either bland (Pearl Harbor, Transformers) or massively unlikeable (Bad Boys II, Pain & Gain). Say what you want about Man of Steel, but the characters themselves are far more well-rounded than any in Bay's films. (Although Michael Shannon's Zod would, ironically, be perfect for a Bay film.)

I watched it a second time... and for me, what stands out the most is that Zod is an uninteresting villain. Faora has far more spark and unpredictability (it would've been far more interesting if she was the main villain instead). I don't know if Snyder directed Shannon poorly or whether Shannon just went into scenery chewing mode. And again, the flashbacks drag down the first half of the story. And Zimmer's score is, again, underwhelming. The quieter, less ambient pieces like the beautiful violin solo when Kal-El's capsule lifts off Krypton and into space are gorgeous. The underscore on the action scenes are just... repetitive.

Let me put it this way: the film has an idea for a story, but not the story. I have no problems with some of the ideas and changes. I have problem with the absolutely horrid execution on almost all levels. The funny thing is you're not going to get much more from the film after seeing the trailers. I could swear I was saying almost every line in the first hour before characters did ( every single one Kevin Costner had anyway). It plays like a long promotional video montage, rather than a film. Then it jumps into non-stop action of apocalyptic proportions.

Kudos to Henry Cavill, though. Given the material, he's really likeable and has the presence of Superman.

Karol

That's the case with virtually every blockbuster nowadays, most of the studios spoil the key scenes, money shots and lines in the numerous trailers and TV spots. I felt some deja vu there too. I'd wish Snyder went the Nolan 'blackout' route and kept some of the better sequences out of the marketing.

It's difficult for me to feel sorry for people or emphasise with their complaints about movies based on their increasingly many, many trailers - after the fact; since I hadn't seen anything but the old teaser months ago beforehand and since then went completely Superman hype blackout. Pays in dividends, but people are always too stupid to listen and the same complainers will again devour all pre-release material for the sequel, before complaining again afresh. It's a fucking mugs merry-go-round.

I'm very surprised at the lack of hype for this film around the Internet. I don't remember this negativity with Batman Begins.

Likewise maybe because Batman Begins was a better film?

Absolutely.

Well, I really loved it actually. Hugely surprising given that I went in not expecting much at all after all the negativity here. It wasn't perfect, Snyder's vision of Krypton was like something Lucas would splatter all over the screen, and the thankfully brief robotic tentacle thingy scene toward the climax was poorly judged Michael Bay territory and pretty pointless with it, but pretty much everything else I felt Snyder nailed with satisfying, rousing aplomb. Yes, that's rousing with the aid of Hans Zimmer's often loud and chaotic, sometimes quiet and touching score; which does compliment the story and characters motivations with the use of lyrical melodic colours and definite recognisable, worthwhile motifs. The soundtrack - against all the odds - works. Amazingly, in spite of myself, I found this reboot frequently rather touching, and as the movie wrapped up with its tantalising suggestion of what's to come, the Man of Steel silver font splashed across the screen and dare I say I felt a little tear of nostalgic joy. That was by far the biggest and most agreeable surprise of all.

Um . . . you're sure you watched Man of Steel? The new Superman movie. . . ? ;)

Some other random thoughts:

Cavill was excellent as Superman. He was perfect.

No argument with this. I thought Cavill had excellent presence and gave the role a fine look.

Angst's name wasn't on the guest list and was barred entry. Thank Christ. Clark DOES NOT EVER feel sorry for himself. HOORAH!

It's much lighter than you think it's gonna be. That doesn't mean it's comical, but the fear that it takes itself far too seriously is unfounded. The tone is right for Superman.

I wanted it to be light. That's what I was looking for, asking for, waiting for. But I felt the movie did, in fact, take itself far too seriously. I do find it odd that we should see it so differently, but that seems to be the case with this movie--it seems to provoke an unaccountably wide range of reactions from people. Interesting.

More humans get killed than in any other Superman movie. Roland Emmerich fans will appreciate those bits. In fact I recommend you wear your ID4 hat for this, because it's often that sort of movie. Lets just say: If you're a very serious person who takes movies very seriously then you're gonna hate this.

I am certainly not a serious person who takes movies too seriously (I was the guy who enjoy the new Clash of the Titans, remember?). And I hated this element of MOS. I didn't mind it at all in ID4, but that was a different sort of movie. I guess I had a problem with the fact that Superman never showed the slightest concern for the thousands, even tens of thousands, of people getting slaughtered in this movie. If he'd showed a little angst over that it might've endeared him to me more.

Lois is good in an unexpected role with plenty of unexpected things to do. She and Cavill show hints of chemistry. I liked her.

Zod was a decent villain with a backstory and reasoning behind his determination.

Completely unexpected, and often unbelievable, things to do. The notion that a reporter would get to go everywhere and do everything they let her do in this film stretched credibility in a big way. The two of them did have some chemistry, though, and I really didn't have any issues with her performance.

I'm actually one who thought Zod was one of the best characters in the movie. I really liked that they gave him a very logical reason for his passionate desire to destroy humanity--and it wasn't simplistic, blind evil.

The Smallville parts were beautifully done and contained within them soul and warmth not too far removed from the original Donner version. Costner was good in the part, even if his final scene was unintentionally funny and a bit daft.

I think Costner did fine as well. There might've been some more soul and warmth if his contributions had been presented in order at the beginning of the film. His single gesture in that final scene was one of the few inspired moments in the film, I thought.

There's an ULTRA COOL 300 style shot of Ursa kicking human butt which made me laugh like a giddy child.

That was one of the hokey, less-successful CGI moments to be had. Too fast, too fake, too obvious.

So, plenty to improve on but with a solid foundation to be getting on with, Man of Steel is nowhere near as bad as many here have made it out to be. 4/5

Don't get the wrong idea here: I'm just reacting to your reactions, not arguing against your viewpoint at all. I hardly feel the need to convince you that you need to swap your positive response to the movie for my negative one. I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, and I hope more people come away with your sense of fulfillment (I definitely wish I had. . . !).

- Uni

Uni, I agree with your review.

While there are moments I like in this film, it's a complete misfire. I will post a lengthy review later but I must say this film did the most horrible thing.

It turned Superman into someone who committed homicide, Superman does not kill. Still not sure how a Superman can kill another superman

If this is a Superman for our time my God our time has gone wrong.

Well, hate to break it to you Joey, but

Superman is not beyond killing. He will kill in the comics when there is no other option, and has done so to Zod on at least one occasion.

It's difficult for me to feel sorry for people or emphasise with their complaints about movies based on their increasingly many, many trailers

I didn't. You're not reading carefully enough.

Karol

Uni, I agree with your review.

While there are moments I like in this film, it's a complete misfire. I will post a lengthy review later but I must say this film did the most horrible thing.

It turned Superman into someone who committed homicide, Superman does not kill. Still not sure how a Superman can kill another superman

If this is a Superman for our time my God our time has gone wrong.

You missed the point of that scene entirely.

Zod pushed Superman to his limits as to far he'd go to protect his adoptive people throughout the movie. That train station scene where Zod refuses to stop using his heat vision on that helpless family, Superman was out of options at that point. They were both at equal power, but Superman had to put effort in breaking Zod's neck. Did you not notice that sonic boom either?

And then Superman cries out for what he's done after doing it. He's hating himself for doing that, and if anything, solidifies Superman's "no killing" rule in the future. And story fodder for a sequel or two.

It's in-character, has appeared in comics, and makes sense thematically.

Oh yes Superman actually killed Zod at one point in the 80's comic books. He executed him and his henchmen with a kryptonite and it was more calculated on his part than what we see in this film. I enjoyed the story that followed that. The one in which Superman exiles himself and travels in space.

s5xx.jpg

Karol

Re quint: I actually disagree. I didn't feel one iota of soul for any character. The score was abysmal. And you all know I like Zimmer.

I seem to recall we had a similar disagreement in regards to his Dark Knight Rises score. Where it was the opposite way around ;)

Don't get the wrong idea here: I'm just reacting to your reactions, not arguing against your viewpoint at all. I hardly feel the need to convince you that you need to swap your positive response to the movie for my negative one. I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, and I hope more people come away with your sense of fulfillment (I definitely wish I had. . . !).

- Uni

The thing certainly appears to be very much the marmite movie with audiences. Reading various reactions across the net last night was absolute proof of that (it was nice to finally be able to read up on it without fear of being spoiled).

It's difficult for me to feel sorry for people or emphasise with their complaints about movies based on their increasingly many, many trailers

I didn't. You're not reading carefully enough.

Karol

I didn't necessarily mean you specifically. But Karol, this was always going to be the archetypal origins story anyway. I'm not sure what else you expected from the movie (which was arguably a huge financial risk to begin with).

As I said before, I have no problem with the story, Henry Cavill (he's a really good Superman), production design or even style of shooting. It's just that the actual full script, sound design, editing/pacing and some of the acting have all undone the film for me. For whatever reason all the elements together don't add up. It's a sound approach and horrible execution. Bored me to death. It all can be improved upon, I guess.

Karol

Oh yes Superman actually killed Zod at one point in the 80's comic books. He executed him and his henchmen with a kryptonite and it was more calculated on his part than what we see in this film. I enjoyed the story that followed that. The one in which Superman exiles himself and travels in space.

s5xx.jpg

Karol

this is not the comics, and it's wrong. It was a terrible moment in the film, my mom leaned over and said Superman would never do that, while from the other side Dave leans over and said Superman wouldn't do that.

As I said before, I have no problem with the story, Henry Cavill (he's a really good Superman), production design or even style of shooting. It's just that the actual full script, sound design, editing/pacing and some of the acting have all undone the film for me. For whatever reason all the elements together don't add up. It's a sound approach and horrible execution. Bored me to death. It all can be improved upon, I guess.

Karol

I suppose in this era of almost always shit summer blockbusters I still have a soft spot for loud sfx heavy nostalgia strokers which unexpectedly hit the spot ;)

Or something.

My order would be Superman>Man of Steel>Superman 2>Superman 3>Superman Returns

Although 2 and 3 are enjoyed exclusively for their now camp nostalgia factor. Because years haven't been kind.

And let's face it, Terrence Stamp is insurmountable.

Quint's Review...

Although I agreed so emphatically with Uni's review, Quint's review brought up a few things that I agreed with as well. There's still a lot about the film that I didn't care for (mostly the annoyingly long fight sequences that keep building and building and building ad nauseam), I do have to admit there were a few things I did enjoy, which make me look forward to the next one.

I thought Cavill was great in the role, and played it great. Christopher Reeve is a tough act to follow (although we had Routh in SR). As great as Reeve was, we obviously have to have somebody new, and I think Cavill nails it. It will be interesting to see how he portrays the (adult) Clark Kent persona in the future.

I also thought Diane Lane and Kevin Costner were great in their roles as well. I did think doing it all as a series of flashbacks was a little peculiar, but it didn't really bother me, and was probably a good way to keep this film from feeling like a re-do of the Donner (linearly, at least).

It was nice to see Jor-El have a little more of a bad-ass role in this one.

All in all, I think this series is headed in the right direction, even though I had some issues with the film itself...most of my criticisms are things found in far too many movies now, and not just this one. If I had time I could probably think of some more things I enjoyed about it, just wanted to throw a few positive things out there.

Were there any tongue-in-cheek nods to the Donner? I don't recall any, but I was just wondering if I had missed anything. I always got a kick out of the small nod Donner gave to the George Reeves series, so I was curious if anything similar showed up in this one.

2 questions about Man Of Steel:

1. Is Lex Luthor or Kryptonite mentioned in any way at all?

2. Does Supes wear glasses as Clark Kent and does nobody that Superman looks exactly like Clark Kent if so?

2. Does Supes wear glasses as Clark Kent and does nobody that Superman looks exactly like Clark Kent if so?

yes, no, yes.

I don't remember is Luthor was mentioned by name, but there is a Lex-Corp truck in the film that gets smashed into.

Also The Daily Planet globe is seen in the film at the end as well.

I thought by 2013 they would have found a different way to make people not realize that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person, but I guess glasses still works.

My answers do have spoilers for the film, so read at your own risk.

1. Yes and no. You see LexCorp's logo on a few buildings, but Lex or Kryptonite isn't seen at all. I don't have a problem with either not showing up in the film. There's plenty of room in a sequel to do that.

2. Not until the very end, when Clark goes to The Daily Planet and gets hired as a reporter. You do see him put on the glasses in the elevator and as Perry 'introduces' him to Lois. Halfway through the film, Lois finds out his secret identity... so she knows Clark and Superman are one in the same. I think they did a smart thing by eliminating that consistent 'Lois is a smart reporter but she can't deduce who Superman is' gag they had going on in the comics. However, Cavill's hairstyle and demeanor as Clark is pretty different than Superman, so everyone else doesn't know except her, Martha Kent, and perhaps the Smallville PD.

What nod did the Donner film make to the Reeves show?

Remember the scene where young Clark Kent is running fast and racing the train, then we cut to young Lois Lane with her parents on the train? The lady playing Ella Lane (mom) was Noel Neill, who played Lois Lane in the George Reeves shows in the 1950s. Later on she also played the old lady at the very beginning of "Superman Returns" who signs over her fortune to Lex Luthor.

Subtle, but nice.

There was also something about the "S" logo that Brando wore, being a little closer in design to the George Reeves "S" than the one Christopher Reeve ends up with later in the movie.

EDIT: Looked it up and no, the "S" logo that Brando wore was designed like the one in the serials with Kirk Alyn playing Superman.

Kirk_Alyn-Superman.jpeg

brando-jor-el.jpg

Again, subtle but nice.

My answers do have spoilers for the film, so read at your own risk.

1. Yes and no. You see LexCorp's logo on a few buildings, but Lex or Kryptonite isn't seen at all. I don't have a problem with either not showing up in the film. There's plenty of room in a sequel to do that.

2. Not until the very end, when Clark goes to The Daily Planet and gets hired as a reporter. You do see him put on the glasses in the elevator and as Perry 'introduces' him to Lois. Halfway through the film, Lois finds out his secret identity... so she knows Clark and Superman are one in the same. I think they did a smart thing by eliminating that consistent 'Lois is a smart reporter but she can't deduce who Superman is' gag they had going on in the comics. However, Cavill's hairstyle and demeanor as Clark is pretty different than Superman, so everyone else doesn't know except her, Martha Kent, and perhaps the Smallville PD.

your comment #2 specifically the last sentence is completely bs.

airmanjerm, the man with the young lois is Kirk Allen who played Superman.

Everything about Superman the Movie is superior with the exception of the effects, but everything else from costuming to set design to cinematography(no contest here) and art direction beats MOS to a pulp. Oh acting directing, writing, basic storytelling, yeah all better.

and I forgot to mention music. As if I even needed to.

airmanjerm, the man with the young lois is Kirk Allen who played Superman.

Yeah how bout that, I always knew the one about the mom being Lois from the old show, didn't realize that about Kirk Alyn until I was looking for the photo and then you posted it too. Again, fun stuff.

Sorry Joey, the MoS costume wipes the floor with the old Spandex one. And Reeve, bless him, never ever looked threatening and mean in his Spandex.

As for the glasses disguise, it works quite nicely as far as this first movie is concerned due to the reasons given above. Which only leaves the military who also may be in on the secret from here on in, which could be interesting.

I like the costume except for the dull colors. Filmmakers today are afraid of real bright colors.

all of smallville knows who he is too. Superman has no secret identity in this reboot.

It's definitely implied otherwise right at the end. I loved that stuff btw, made me very happy.

Anyway, the Superman costume won't be the thing that dates this terribly in thirty years. The apparently Doctor Who inspired Krypton regalia will be what shows it up quickest. That ceremonial garb already looked corny!