Star Trek the Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith's Best?

SF1_freeze

I'll have to agree with Steef.

And even though Star Wars is almost as good, it misses it by a hair for one simple fact:

No other film score sounds like Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Star Wars suffers that hair, for the simple fact that it is a more traditionally rooted score, which is unfair, but the fact is simple...nothing sounds like the listening experience that is TMP.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And even though Star Wars is almost as good, it misses it by a hair for one simple fact:

Star Wars suffers that hair, for the simple fact that it is a more traditionally rooted score, which is unfair, but the fact is simple...nothing sounds like the listening experience that is TMP.

That's just it. TMP doesn't sound like "movie music". I don't know what Goldsmith found so inspiring about the project, but what ever it was I'm glad it came out the way it did.

Neil

What a load of rubbish.

But there are a few though.

I'm very hardpressed to name them.

From the 21st century none

from the 90's, none

from the 60's, none

from the 70's, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters and Superman

from the 80's, E.T., ESB, Raiders.

But goldsmith only has one?

Williams wins.

I recently listened to the Star Trek THE MOTION PICTURE Soundtrack and it holds everything promised by a lot of sources. It is easily the best of the Goldsmith Star Trek scores (I don't know the others not by Goldsmith).

[...]I'm sure most of you know that soundtrack but for those who didn't get the pleasure i have some recommendations.

The two absolutly outstanding tracks are "The Enterprise" and "Illia's Theme"

[...]

I'm no Jerry Goldsmith expert, but i'm asking you if Goldsmith ever surpassed the skill and the success of the "Star Trek Motion Picture" and which scores by him play in the same league or is this the best film score he ever composed?

What exactly are you looking for?

Goldsmith scores that are masterpieces, regardless of the type? or Goldsmith scores with strong themes?

Your recommendation focuses on two very melodic tracks; to someone who does not know the score, I would also recommend "Vjur Flyover", "The Cloud" or "The Meld".

Alien has already been mentioned; it is as inventive as Star Trek-- The Motion Picture and Planet of the Apes, but "easier" than the latter.

Legend bridges the genres with its atmospheric opening and beautiful themes.

"The Enteprise" is one of his very best tracks (a great theme, an exciting crescendo from quiet to stately).

In the "grand theme" category, another score would be Lionheart; the theme is just as bood and noble as "The Enterprise", and there are several other nice themes and tracks ("The Dress", "The Lake").

Medicine Man has the great "The Trees", plus several very nice tracks ("Rae's Arrival", "The Harvest", "The Sugar", ...).

Powder has a very beautiful theme, which is introduced is a delicate way; it builds up to an emotionally powerful crescendo in the finale-- and everything inbetween is really very very good.

Basic Instinct is a ST:TMP of the nineties in terms of quality; it has a great theme, and what is mostly suspense music (just like ST:TMP was mostly atmospheric) is made very interesting.

"Pillow Talk" is a wonderful track of the same quality as "The Enterprise", just in another way; the movie might have gotten a cliché or seedy score; Goldsmith gave it a perfect one, that oozes sensusality and sultriness without being vulgar, which accompanies and heightens the visuals and the tension in a very effective way.

obasicinstinct001.gif

I recently listened to the Star Trek THE MOTION PICTURE Soundtrack and it holds everything promised by a lot of sources. It is easily the best of the Goldsmith Star Trek scores (I don't know the others not by Goldsmith).

[...]I'm sure most of you know that soundtrack but for those who didn't get the pleasure i have some recommendations.

The two absolutly outstanding tracks are "The Enterprise" and "Illia's Theme"

[...]

I'm no Jerry Goldsmith expert, but i'm asking you if Goldsmith ever surpassed the skill and the success of the "Star Trek Motion Picture" and which scores by him play in the same league or is this the best film score he ever composed?

What exactly are you looking for?

Goldsmith scores that are masterpieces, regardless of the type? or Goldsmith scores with strong themes?

Your recommendation focuses on two very melodic tracks; to someone who does not know the score, I would also recommend "Vjur Flyover", "The Cloud" or "The Meld".

Alien has already been mentioned; it is as inventive as Star Trek-- The Motion Picture and Planet of the Apes, but "easier" than the latter.

Legend bridges the genres with its atmospheric opening and beautiful themes.

"The Enteprise" is one of his very best tracks (a great theme, an exciting crescendo from quiet to stately).

In the "grand theme" category, another score would be Lionheart; the theme is just as bood and noble as "The Enterprise", and there are several other nice themes and tracks ("The Dress", "The Lake").

Medicine Man has the great "The Trees", plus several very nice tracks ("Rae's Arrival", "The Harvest", "The Sugar", ...).

Powder has a very beautiful theme, which is introduced is a delicate way; it builds up to an emotionally powerful crescendo in the finale-- and everything inbetween is really very very good.

Basic Instinct is a ST:TMP of the nineties in terms of quality; it has a great theme, and what is mostly suspense music (just like ST:TMP was mostly atmospheric) is made very interesting.

"Pillow Talk" is a wonderful track of the same quality as "The Enterprise", just in another way; the movie might have gotten a cliché or seedy score; Goldsmith gave it a perfect one, that oozes sensusality and sultriness without being vulgar, which accompanies and heightens the visuals and the tension in a very effective way.

obasicinstinct001.gif

In fact i'm looking for both and i think so far i got a lot of good recommendations. But usually i need thematic material in a soundtrack to call it a masterpiece (There are exceptions, but they are quite rare).

The reason is that i think as a listener or viewer you need a musical identity which is mostly created by themes developed throughout the movie.

That provides the pleasure for the listener to hear new arrangements and orchestrations of the same theme over and over again ( if a theme is good and long enough). Perfect example is the Star Wars Force theme for me.

As you know it is used in all Star Wars movies and it is played in lots of different moods and situations. This is the most developed Star Wars theme and i think a perfect example what you can do with a theme just by new arrangements.

Check out:

Episode IV

hopeful and sentimental version: Dawn at the Lar's Farm

mystic version: Scene in Obi Wans hood on Tattooine

epic coronation version: Throneroom celebration

Episode V

longer mystic version: End of TESB

Episode VI

epic dramatic version: Death of the Emperor

epic sad version: Burning of Vader

Episode I

sad and sentimental version: Anakin's Goodbye

sad version: Mix of Force Theme with Funeral March

Episode II

epic departing version: departing coruscant

epic battle version: Gunship at Battle of Geonosis

Episode III

militaristic epic battle version: Start of Episode 3

militaristic lush approaching version: Going to Utapau

epic dramatic choral version: Battle of the Heroes

Once again hopeful and sentimental version: Ending of Episode3

That's of course just a small overview and maybe you can add additional versions, but i think you get what i mean ROTFLMAO

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly ST-TMP has one of the very best scores I've ever heard, and I also think the movie is one of the very best SF movies too! Makes no pretence at being a crowd pleasing action adventure, it's deep and philosophical, as well as being beautifully shot, designed, constructed. Comparing it to the other ST films is like comparing 2001 to Battle Beyond the Stars. :P

Anyway, I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this board can shed some light on the situation regarding the release of a FULL version of the ST-TMP score. There's quite a bit of music that never made the CD album, plus a LOT of alternates. In some cases the alternate is the one on the CD while the movie version is unreleased. The Main Title is a prime example. While the concert version on the album is awesome, the movie version tops it for me.

Superman now has a very thorough release, as do Alien and others; so is there any reason that Star Trek - The Motion Picture couldn't get the same?

Certainly ST-TMP has one of the very best scores I've ever heard, and I also think the movie is one of the very best SF movies too! Makes no pretence at being a crowd pleasing action adventure, it's deep and philosophical, as well as being beautifully shot, designed, constructed. Comparing it to the other ST films is like comparing 2001 to Battle Beyond the Stars. <_<

Anyway, I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this board can shed some light on the situation regarding the release of a FULL version of the ST-TMP score. There's quite a bit of music that never made the CD album, plus a LOT of alternates. In some cases the alternate is the one on the CD while the movie version is unreleased. The Main Title is a prime example. While the concert version on the album is awesome, the movie version tops it for me.

Superman now has a very thorough release, as do Alien and others; so is there any reason that Star Trek - The Motion Picture couldn't get the same?

Paramount.

As for the "Main Title", the original 1979 release used a different take for the opening of the main title. The album used the take that Goldsmith preferred and that is now the take that opens "The Director's Edition".

Neil

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is basically Jerry Goldsmith in John Williams mode.

The results are amazing....

No, it's Jerry Goldsmith in Jerry Goldsmith mode. And the results are amazing.

I would, like many on this board, put the score on the short-list for title of "Best Score Ever."

I'm one of the few, it seems, who is willing to defend the movie itself. I'm a Trek fan, yes, so that has to be taken into consideration. But I'm only a fan of good Star Trek, so I don't think I have blinders on.

To me, the movie is just a bit misunderstood. It's not an adventure film, it's a character piece, and a movie that is more interested in creating a mood than it is in being exciting. The movie is about the wonder and the terror of exploring the universe; physical exploration, but also mental and emotional and (perhaps most importantly) spiritual exploration. It is these elements of the movie that are most directly evident in Goldsmith's score, and it's a big part of the reason why the score means so much to so many.

The movie isn't perfect, but I think it's a lot better than a lot of people make it out to be. You just have to be in the right emotional state for it. It's not entirely unlike 2001 or Blade Runner in that regard, and while it's nowhere near as good as either of those movies, I think they do have some serious tonal and thematic overlap. I keep hoping it'll get a sort of critical reappraisal at some point, but it may never happen.

Either way, yes, Goldsmith's score is one to treasure.