Do you think the soundtrack to Harry Potter ATSS is good?

In my opinion it is just an average soundtrack with nothing special to make people remember it for years...

JW has composed magnificent soundtracks like those for "Jaws", "Schindler's List" and "Star Wars" (I don't like the movie at all, but the music is great!). I don't think "Harry Potter" would survive in such company.

Marcos

--

Read different opinions on John Williams soundtracks:

http://user1.7host.com/filmmusic/harrypotter.htm

http://user1.7host.com/filmmusic/minorityreport.htm

http://user1.7host.com/filmmusic/patriot.htm

http://user1.7host.com/filmmusic/savingprivateryan.htm

http://user1.7host.com/filmmusic/schindlerslist.htm

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would call Philosopher's Stone a 4-star soundtrack, so I think it will have at least some place in the John Williams canon. Granted, it is not in the same league as the scores you mentioned...but I can't think of any score, by any composer, released in the last five years that I would rate as 5 stars (though 'A.I.' comes close).

Whatever their merits, I think the scores to 'Sabrina' 'Seven Years in Tibet' 'Sleepers' 'Nixon' and 'Rosewood' will be forgotten long before Harry Potter is - if only because Harry Potter is more popular as a film than the other films combined.

In my opinion it is just an average soundtrack with nothing special to make people remember it for years...

JW has composed magnificent soundtracks like those for "Jaws", "Schindler's List" and "Star Wars" (I don't like the movie at all, but the music is great!). I don't think "Harry Potter" would survive in such company.

Marcos

Oh, I agree completely, I have said many times here that the Harry Potter soundtrack is totally overrated. Its flaws are numerous. Where do you start.

Hedwig Theme, its so overused throughout the score. Come on John, couldn't you vary it sometimes.

The score isn't original, it borrows heavely from Hook, except that score is so thematically superior. Really there are no memorable themes in Harry Potter, probably due to the fact that there are no memorable characters, unlike the themes based on all the great characters in Hook.

It also steals from Home Alone. Yes originality isn't Harry Potter's forte.

It really pales in comparison to the scores you mentioned, especially the lyrical Saving Private Ryan, and the extremely popular and memorable Patriot.

Harry Potter is just a faze, or a fad. It will go away. NO ONE will remember it in a few years. Its not like the book, or movie, or score, have made any kind of real mark on entertainment history. And I seriously doubt that anyone would ever claim that Harry Potter is actual literature. Its just a few books that hit a home run. I am sure that the next book will be quickly forgotten, and people will give up this obsession with Harry Potter, and move to the next big thing.

Since I got the Harry Potter soundtrack back in July, I have only listened to it 3 times all the way through. It really doesn't do much for me. I've actually listened to The Patriot more often recently since I only listened to it once the first 6 months that I had it. Actually I forgot that I had it. But I like it now.

I'm hoping that Harry Potter will get better with age.

It's only been a year and a half, but A.I. is certainly getting better with age as I have come to appreciate the score and the movie so much more after mulitple views and listens. That is an extraordinary score. To me, I think JW poured his soul into that one.

The score is fantastic and believe me guys, a lot of people will remember it years from now. it's incredible the amount of people I know that own the score and love it (and it's so rare to know people that actually own scores).

I'm discussing quality here, but Harry potter will more remembered than say, Hook. Maybe not totally due to the inherent quality of each score.

Both the original score and the new COS are magnificent scores. Especially so from a composers view, maybe? The compositions are so detailed, complex and surprising which makes it a joy listening to again and again. Of course it is just plain good music too:)

Marcos

Oh, I agree completely, I have said many times here that the Harry Potter soundtrack is totally overrated. Its flaws are numerous. Where do you start.

Hedwig Theme, its so overused throughout the score. Come on John, couldn't you vary it sometimes.

The score isn't original, it borrows heavely from Hook, except that score is so thematically superior. Really there are no memorable themes in Harry Potter, probably due to the fact that there are no memorable characters, unlike the themes based on all the great characters in Hook.

It also steals from Home Alone. Yes originality isn't Harry Potter's forte.

It really pales in comparison to the scores you mentioned, especially the lyrical Saving Private Ryan, and the extremely popular and memorable Patriot.

Harry Potter is just a faze, or a fad. It will go away. NO ONE will remember it in a few years. Its not like the book, or movie, or score, have made any kind of real mark on entertainment history. And I seriously doubt that anyone would ever claim that Harry Potter is actual literature. Its just a few books that hit a home run. I am sure that the next book will be quickly forgotten, and people will give up this obsession with Harry Potter, and move to the next big thing.

:mrgreen::)

Ricard - Hoping that everyone gets Joe's sarcasm.

Hedwig Theme, its so overused throughout the score.  Come on John, couldn't you vary it sometimes.

The score isn't original, it borrows heavely from Hook,

It also steals from Home Alone.

Those things ARE true, and you all know it. It also steals 3 seconds from ET i think.

I'm not saying Williams is a self-plagiarist. But that score WILL be remembered becasue of the hype HP has.

The score is good, but is not, definately, a masterpiece. And the second movie, taking that much material from the previous movie is not better than the first. The new themes can be, but not the score.

And dont attack me saying AOC is crap. I do not claim It is a masterpiece neither the best year of Williams in this decade*.

SW (ANH) IS a masterpiece IMO, becasue of the originality and quality.

ESB is another IMO, becasue of its originality and quality (it uses themes from the previous movie, but there are more new themes than previous themes, and these are VERY good)

ROJ, IMO is a masterpiece if we look that it has all the themes from SW in it. Technically it is no masterpiece and very original, but it is good nevertheless.

TPM, IMO is not also a masterpiece, although its close, it is original, only uses hints from the previous movies and it has quality

And Joe, You may not like Hook, but definately it is more original, themathical, varied and has better quality than HP.

*HECK i have just realised something. HP was done in the FIRST YEAR of the 2001-2010 decade, and has the title of best score YET? WHAT A BIG FAITH IN WILLIAMS DO YOU HAVE.

Ricard - Hoping that everyone gets Joe's sarcasm.

I did. BUt somethings are true.

I also got Joe's hate for Hook and praise for HP.

Plus he forgot 'Ludlow's demise'.

Luke who thinks that HP's Ludlow's is almost the same as TLW one, AOC one in a derivated from the HP one and MR, a mix between it and MR themes, making it the best :)

When heard Philosopher's Stone for the first few times (in the theatre and back home on CD), I thought "yeah, nice, but..."

But like some of Goldsmith's best scores, for example, it started to grow on me, and I now consider it to be one of JW's best scores. I don't think it's unoriginal. Of course, it's familiar territory for Williams, and he uses his typical techniques/harmonies/etc. But it's not as if anyone wanted a Goldenthal score for this movie (and I love Goldenthal). Neither was Star Wars that original, if we're talking about musical idioms. But I don't think the Potter score steals from earlier works, except obviously the Ludlow theme in the Quidditch music. But aside from that, I hear stylistic similarities, nothíng more.

And the score is one of Williams' most psychologically/thematically complex works, with amazing orchestrations. Repetitive? Hedwig's Theme is used a lot, but not as often as the Imperial March in ESB I think. There are tons of other themes in the score that are used throughout, but they're so many that several of them aren't heard more than 4 or 5 times. Plenty of room for expanding on those for the future films without getting too repetitive.

Marian - who got his COS ticket today. :mrgreen:

:) The Witches of Eastwick

Hedwig Theme, its so overused throughout the score.  Come on John, couldn't you vary it sometimes.

The score isn't original, it borrows heavely from Hook,

It also steals from Home Alone.

Those things ARE true, and you all know it. It also steals 3 seconds from ET i think.

I'm not saying Williams is a self-plagiarist. But that score WILL be remembered becasue of the hype HP has.

The score is good, but is not, definately, a masterpiece. And the second movie, taking that much material from the previous movie is not better than the first. The new themes can be, but not the score.

And dont attack me saying AOC is crap. I do not claim It is a masterpiece neither the best year of Williams in this decade*.

SW (ANH) IS a masterpiece IMO, becasue of the originality and quality.

ESB is another IMO, becasue of its originality and quality (it uses themes from the previous movie, but there are more new themes than previous themes, and these are VERY good)

ROJ, IMO is a masterpiece if we look that it has all the themes from SW in it. Technically it is no masterpiece and very original, but it is good nevertheless.

TPM, IMO is not also a masterpiece, although its close, it is original, only uses hints from the previous movies and it has quality

And Joe, You may not like Hook, but definately it is more original, themathical, varied and has better quality than HP.

*HECK i have just realised something. HP was done in the FIRST YEAR of the 2001-2010 decade, and has the title of best score YET? WHAT A BIG FAITH IN WILLIAMS DO YOU HAVE.

Luke,the Star Wars scores are great,we all know that...as for the rest dont turn into another Morn,pleeeease!

K.M.

Luke, this is a post about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/Philosophers Stone, not another put down of AOTC.

And I meant no real dig to Hook, other than the intial complaints last year that it was like Hook or Home Alone. And be honest, no matter how many different themes there are in Hook, there just are not that many memorable characters. I doubt anyone can name all the Lost boys do you.

But alot here know Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hedwig, McGonnagal, Snape, and Voldemort.

And to define a decade you have to look at it from a certain point of view This decade ends in 2009 as the 00 years end. 2010, 2020, 2030, 2040, 2050, 2060, 2070, 2080, 2090 are the start years for a decade in the traditional sense. In other words decades can start in 0, while centuries start at 1.

I'm a little embaressed to say that I did not get Joe's sarcasm until now. It was pretty much evident. I didn't read his port carefully till the very end.

A friend of mine who never owned a film score c.d. listened to the first 30 seconds or so of Harry's Wondrous World only and went and bought the cd...

K.M.

And to define a decade you have to look at it from a certain point of view  This decade ends in 2009 as the 00 years end.  2010, 2020, 2030, 2040, 2050, 2060, 2070, 2080, 2090 are the start years for a decade in the traditional sense.  In other words decades can start in 0, while centuries start at 1.

Don't, Joe. Just don't. You know where this will lead.

-ROSS

Marian put it very well, and so did Joe, in his sardonic way. I love this score. I know some of that comes from the fact that it acts as "comfort" music for me (I always remember the holidays from last year, and the joy of discovering the score theme by theme, etc), but I really do think it's one of Williams' best. It's thrilling, mysterious, frightening, and emotional, and for me it's as enjoyable a listen as just about any other score.

A friend of mine who never owned a film score c.d. listened to the first 30 seconds or so of Harry's Wondrous World only and went and bought the cd...

Very cool! I'm not surprised - that track is one of the highlights of Williams' work.

Ray Barnsbury

Luke, this is a post about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/Philosophers Stone, not another put down of AOTC.

Oh yeah,I forgot,let me rephrase myself,all Star Wars scores are great except AOTC. :mrgreen:

K.M.

I'm just wild about Harry! My favorite Williams score in 15 years. Love seeing so many opinions, though. Shows that it's all subjective.

Joe you crack me up!!!

I think HP is here to stay, sure it may not be WAAAAAAYYYYY at the top of JW's stuff,

but i think it's pretty frickin' close.

Very well done, It grows on you the more you listen to it.

But it's not as if anyone wanted a Goldenthal score for this movie (and I love Goldenthal).

Umm, Goldenthal has only reached a small amount of the potential of a modernist style, try Rosenman or North. :)

And I meant no real dig to Hook, other than the intial complaints last year that it was like Hook or Home Alone.  And be honest, no matter how many different themes there are in Hook, there just are not that many memorable characters.  I doubt anyone can name all the Lost boys do you.

:? What the hell does that have to do with how memorible the themes are?

Don't, Joe. Just don't. You know where this will lead.

He's right though you know. :) The key words being traditional sense.

but i think it's pretty frickin' close.

School teacher... :);)

BOth SS and COS are in the top 10 of my WIlliams list. That is pretty frickin :) high!!!!!!!!

The orchestrations alone are better than most things he has been doing of late.

We all have our favorites and that's fantastic. I thought that this was a lot better than AI and wanted it to win the oscar that year, but that is just my personal taste.

Joe, you didnt got my point with dates. Even if the decade is 2000 to 2009, WHO CAN ANYONE SAY IT IS THE BEST OF THE DECADE IF THERE ARE MANY YEARS LEFT YET?!??!?!?

And well while expresing YOUR opinions, DO NOT Forget the IMO. I'm sorry i did (forget) about the HP things, but as you can see i did not with the SW ones.

And i'm very sorry i can enjoy HP as you do. But that is how i am...

Joe, you didnt got my point with dates. Even if the decade is 2000 to 2009, WHO CAN ANYONE SAY IT IS THE BEST OF THE DECADE IF THERE ARE MANY YEARS LEFT YET?!??!?!?

:roll: Didn't you get the implied so far?

Thats why is said 'WHAT FAITH DO YOU HAVE IN WILLIAMS'

Anyone who says that cannot tell me he/she has not an screwed opinion because his/her love for HP.

I john Williams hear that, well i think he will stop composing. why care if all is going to be worse?

Damn Joe, I see you had a busy Halloween. Dan Hobgood by day, Edgar Allen by night. How will you top yourself next year?  :)

By being Charles Dickens, next year. Most people don't even know that Dickens also wrote so other horror/ghost stories beside, A Christmas Carol, which in its day was considered rather frightening.

Plus I get to read Twas the Night Before Christmas to the little children during story time. That I am looking forward to.

About last night. It was a hoot. I had this black hair that I "Snaped" up. Nasty. I had a raven which I carried on my wrist. Had a 3/4 length coat on and MC'd the night. 3 local High Schools did: Tell Tale Heart, in humerous vein, An obscure Poe, Some Words With a Mummy, done as a field trip from school also funny, and the last was Masque of the Red Death, as told on MTV news, and MTV Cribs, it was the highlight, signing and dancing, blood and dying. The $50.00 gift card for MCing was nice too. I will order the expensive ET 3dvd set. The 3rd week in Nov, all employees get 40% off everything so I will wait and save a few bucks.

Anyone who says that cannot tell me he/she has not an screwed opinion because his/her love for HP.

I john Williams hear that, well i think he will stop composing. why care if all is going to be worse?

No, he must mean that it's the best Williams has done so far in the 00's.

If he meant that, he should have said THAT: Its not my fault that i can read people's minds.

Hey im a jedi! I should be able! :roll:

No, he must mean that it's the best Williams has done so far in the 00's.

Oh Honestly, who cares. It's not like the guy is going to stop composing or even thinks about what is better than what. And it's all subjective to what you prefer to listen to. Some people thinks it's really bad. I think it's f...ing amazing.

Who cares about you not caring about who cares about how good scores are. :) I mean, it's not like there is anything wrong with talking about it.