Film Composer "Mount Rushmore"

artyjeffrey

Nothing like this would ever exist, but if there ever was to be a sort of "Mount Rushmore"-like monument, hewn from a mountain, a tribute to film music composers, who would the four be? Taking everything into account....

JW's bald head would work nicely into a natural boulder formation, and JG's long hair would likewise be a nice design element...

Of course, JW and JG would have to keep it separated... :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 out of the following:

Korngold

Herrmann

Waxman

Rozsa

North

Goldsmith

Williams

Is this what *you* would pick or what you think "they" would pick? If it's "them", I don't think Goldsmith would make the list, but Steiner might.

4 out of the following:

Korngold

Herrmann

Waxman

Rozsa

North

Goldsmith

Williams

Out of that list, Goldsmith probably doesn't make it.

I'd go for Korngold, Williams, Rosza, Herrmann.

Goldsmith never had impact on the public.

Although I'm sure there are some here who are willing to rip my head off for saying this.

Goldsmith never had impact on the public.

Although I'm sure there are some here who are willing to rip my head off for saying this.

Brave of you, boy, to make such a comment. And the most foolish I've heard in a long, long time. You won't be so "Fatty" by the time some of us are finished with you

Bernard Herrmann..simply because he scored it. :)

Brilliant.

Of course, I had my secret wishlist:

Herrmann

Korngold

Goldsmith

Williams

(it was hard to leave out Waxman, whose music I love, but we're talking superstars here!)

Come on....the man was the first composer to win back to back Oscars. He deserves some recognition. How about Waxman and Santaolalla with Alfred Newman and Alan Menken???

Steiner, Korngold, Rozsa, and Williams. That seems about right to me.

Substitute Herrmann for Rozsa and I think we have a winner. I love Rozsa, but Herrmann's scores are generally better known, and the man was a genius! Besides, how wonderful to have a 100-foot statue of Herrmann's bizarre features terrifying the children staring up at it!

The only two I'm absolutely certain deserve a place on that momument are Williams and Goldsmith.

Herrmann . . . almost certainly the number three pick.

The fourth would have to be one of the Golden Age composers, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to say who. Somebody has to be considered to be the father of film music as we know it, and whoever that is, that's who it should be.

Who would actually be on it?

Judging by pure affect, probably:

Williams

Zimmer (not joking--whether you like it or not, he has majorly impacted a good portion ofthe modern film scores)

Steiner

Herrmann

My personal opinion:

Williams

Newton Howard

Elfman

Zimmer

What's a Chinaman doing on Mount Rushmore?

The chinaman is not the issue here.

Somebody has to be considered to be the father of film music as we know it, and whoever that is, that's who it should be.

That's Steiner and Korngold. Steiner wrote what is considered the first real film score (King Kong), and while both came from Austria, Korngold had even more impact in bringing the late/post romantic Strauss sound to Hollywood. Personally, I think Steiner has done some great stuff and is certainly important for being the first, but ultimately I find him overrated. Most of what I've heard by him sounds too much like (very skilled) routine, with too many quotations well-known themes.

Come on, you knew it was coming....

MountScoremore.jpg

I was about to suggest someone clever with photoshop do something like this. I didn't have to! :cool: Brilliant.

I still don't think Goldsmith, marvellous though his music is, sits very comfortably alongside the true greats. I know there are many here who disagree, and quite right too, what kind of a world would it be if everyone agreed? Well, it would be great if everyone agreed with me...

MountScoremore.jpg

I'd love to see Eva Marie Saint sliding down JW's bald head.

His glasses would be her salvation.

Well that wouldn't be very sporting, using real glasses.

Quite an architectural accomplishment though.

MountScoremore.jpg

Quite an architectural accomplishment though.

It was just a bloody studio.

MountScoremore.jpg

Yeah, they'd have to be lenseless frames up there. If not, then there'd be a certain "death hour" every day, when the sun would hit through those lenses just right and fry the helpless tourists below like ants. :cool:

I knew there'd be a multitude of opinions, but I must admit that I'm surprised at how many of us do not believe Goldsmith would belong there.

John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith are two automatic faces as far as I'm concerned.

Bernard Herrmann, Max Steiner, Miklos Rozsa and Alex North would be the other 4 to pick two from.