Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Yes!

A film maker is entitled to that.

What a relief. For a second, I thought they were doing it just to screw with the audience's eyes. I'd hate to think of them as assholes. [/sarcasm]

And I agree. Gotham City taking up the entire IMAX screen was eye candy.

I thought BTTF was shot in anamorphic widescreen, but the sequels were shot in spherical. Wrong?

Wrong. Back to the Future was never shot in anamorphic widescreen. It has always been an open matte 1.85:1 shot on regular, spherical lenses. The open matte thing is what led to the framing issues on Back to the Future part II and Back to the Future part III when they were first released on DVD. This only got more confusing when people started comparing the widescreen DVD to the fullscreen DVD (yes, God help us, there was such a thing as fullscreen DVD's back in 2002), which had the entire picture as it was recorded on film, but not the intended framing.

The visual effects shots, however, I believe were done either in VistaVision or in a regular hard matted 35mm format. This is why, if you were to watch a fullscreen version of the Back to the Future trilogy, most shots will have additional information at the top and bottom of the screen, but the visual effects shots will be cropped and there will be some stuff missing from the sides of the frame.

Yeah I remember the issues on the initial release of Parts II and III because I actually did mail mine back to Universal and received new correctly framed discs.

I remember reading at the time that the reason the original film never had that issue on DVD was because it was shot anamorphically, unlike the sequels. The folks on DVDplaza.com.au must have been mistaken.

I'm confused: what is exactly the confusion here? :)

As I see it, the BR contains the 1.85 theatrical framing, which contains a bit more information on the side but loses a bit on the top & bottom compared to the TV 1.33 framing.

I don't think the original TV version has the actual complete frame as filmed, but zooms in a bit (like the mountain pic posted above).

For instance, compare it to the comparison screenshots of The X-Files' first two seasons, where the 4:3 image has more information on top/bottom and the 16:9 image has more information on left/right - neither has the full complete actual filmed image.

By the way, the old DVD is the theatrical edition but with a 1.33 framing consistent with the TV cut. I've quickly compared some shots and that framing seems to match the actual 1.33 TV cut's framing.

I've got the TV cut on DVD-R when it was shown on TV a few years ago, so if anyone wants me to check specific timings (e.g. the 'visible Spielberg' shots), let me know.

And still my question remains: is the widescreen version supposed to be significantly wider than the TV version as suggested by the Awalt quote or a crop like on the Blu-Ray?

And still my question remains: is the widescreen version supposed to be significantly wider than the TV version as suggested by the Awalt quote or a crop like on the Blu-Ray?

This is what i was trying to explain earlier (with the BTTF example)

It is not "fixed"!

In other shots it's wider, in others it's about the same with the TV version.

almost same width:

6.JPG

960__duel_06_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

2.JPG

960__duel_02_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

much wider:

3.JPG

960__duel_03_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

edit: Darn it, i cannot hotlink.

Well, see the comparisons in dvdbeaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_63/duel_blu-ray.htm

Since the latest talk is about the Spielberg box, here's what I found:

Orioto-Spielberg-Endings.jpg

Do you notice anything funny?

The only film not included is

ALWAYS!! Even the segment from Twilight Zone is included (i think. Couldn't match with anything else). It seems everyone wants to forget about it/or has forgotten it.

It's Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Could Always have looked better? Probably. It has to have been sourced from the exact same master as the HD broadcast. I'm happy to just have it in HD. This has only been available in letterbox and the aforementioned HD broadcast and this version is better. To my eyes, it does the film justice.

vlcsnap_2014_10_15_19h50m26s94.jpgvlcsnap_2014_10_15_20h11m00s176.jpgvlcsnap_2014_10_15_20h15m51s222.jpgvlcsnap_2014_10_15_20h18m27s250.jpg

vlcsnap_2014_10_15_20h23m35s44.jpgvlcsnap_2014_10_15_21h08m34s97.jpgvlcsnap_2014_10_15_21h11m26s32.jpg

It's Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Could Always have looked better? Probably. It has to have been sourced from the exact same master as the HD broadcast. I'm happy to just have it in HD. This has only been available in letterbox and the aforementioned HD broadcast and this version is better. To my eyes, it does the film justice.

I'm sorry, but I can't think about that movie without seeing that horrible on-set accident.

It's not you. It's me.

Let it go. Do you see disaster in films based on disaster? Do you constantly mourn all thing bad?

How could you possibly watch Schindler's List when it's based on the death of 6 million. Don't forget Ben Hur. That poor poor stunt man who died.

Let it go. Do you see disaster in films based on disaster? Do you constantly mourn all thing bad?

How could you possibly watch Schindler's List when it's based on the death of 6 million. Don't forget Ben Hur. That poor poor stunt man who died.

Your questions are invalid because they're based on an assumption about me that is wrong.

I didn't say nor did I imply that I was mourning those actors' death. You make it sound like I need to become desensitized to it in order to move on.

By that logic, I shouldn't watch JFK, Earthquake, Twister, Pearl Harbor, Titanic, or World Trade Center, either.

All I'm saying was that their deaths were tragic and I sympathize with them. That's all.

fyi, Schindler's List recreates a historical event. Not the same thing as capturing somebody's accidental death on film during production.

As for that stuntman in Ben Hur, I point you to this:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/benhur.asp

Looking crazy good!

well, i have seen much better looking Blurays* with excellent depiction of the grain..

Same goes for Always.

* eg. this

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=3624&disc2=3623&cap1=33541&cap2=33551&art=full&image=2&hd_multiID=1505&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Cinema Paradiso looks better? :o

Much better?

The UK release.

1941 is like the US release of CP.

If you go back and forth between US and UK releases of CP, it's evident that there is much compression on the US release which results in no accurate depiction of grain.

In the UK edition, the film was scanned from 35mm original negative in 2K.

I can't say that the same seems to apply for 1941. (and Always)

Where do you see compression in the 1941 pics above? I don't see it.

Heck, I think it looks so good, it makes me want to see the movie for the photography and the quality of the picture alone. Too bad the movie itself is so ADHD.

Cinema Paradiso looks too soft (and not as handsomely photographed)

Where do you see compression in the 1941 pics above? I don't see it.

Heck, I think it looks so good, it makes me want to see the movie only for the photography and the quality of the picture. Too bad the movie itself is so ADHD.

Cinema Paradiso looks too soft (and not as handsomely photographed)

I see compression because the grain is not very well depicted.

Do you see how the grain looks at Cinema paradiso?

(i hope you moved your mouse inside the photo, right? and you don't just see the US screenshot)

well, maybe it's due to the bitrates too? I don't know

CP is 34Mbps, 1941 is 26.

I'm sure he saw it, because he referred to Cinema Paradiso, without me having written about it.

So, it means he saw the link with the screenshots.

Didn't you Alex?

If you move your mouse on the photo in the caps-a-holic link, you see the difference between US and UK Bluray of Cinema Paradiso.

That's what I was referring to.

Ah, if I click on the 1941 pics, I can enlarge them and then you can see compression indeed. The smaller pics look great though. The colors, sharpness, the cinematography ... yummie!

I didn't click on the Paradiso pics. They change if you click on them. Yes, better grain handling but not better looking movie. ;)

Question is if you gonna see the compression on your screen when your sitting 3 meters away from it.

You are worried about how the grain is depicted?

I'm just saying that CP looks much much better, and that is evident mostly by the depiction of grain.

Can you see how the grain looks in the US edition of the same film and do you see the difference with the UK one?

Don't tell me you prefer the US.

Ah, if I click on the 1941 pics, I can enlarge them and then you can see compression indeed. The smaller pics look great though. The colors, sharpness, the cinematography ... yummie!

I didn't click on the Paradiso pics. They change if you click on them. Yes, better grain handling but not better looking movie. ;)

yes, you don't click on the Paradiso pics. Just move your mouse.

Mouse inside picture: UK restored Bluray

mouse outside of picture: US Bluray

I didn't say that it's a better looking movie (although I do think it's such), but that the grain is handled much better as you said.

Too much grain is distracting.

So you prefer Digital Noise Reduction in a grainy film?

Sorry, I'm gonna use again the CP example.

Can you see that the US Bluray seems like a DVD comparing to the UK one?

Look at the leaves.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the detail is in the grain.

If you lose grain, you lose detail.

filmmusic is right, the one with grain is much sharper. The other version is way too soft, almost blurry.

But generally speaking, the film doesn't look so attractive to me.

Digital is more clear. It like looking through an open window. :rock2:

yes, that is what I don't like.

That it makes it look real.

I watch cinema to avoid reality, not to see something that mimics it..

That's why I prefer grain.

Don't you think there is a difference between clear and real? There are other, more conscious or intentional ways to make something real or not. I want to like a movie for what the director puts on the celluloid not because of the celluloid itself.

Don't you think there is a difference between clear and real?

There is a similarity in that the clear tries to simulate how one sees the real in front of him.

I mean, you don't see grain in your real life, do you?

(Unless you have an eye problem)

In that aspect, clear leads to more real.