Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

The "flaws" like grain/speckles/scratches make it look more film-like.

I still stop A.I. during the scene where the guy is explaining that they can bring back humans for a day with the teddy bear's 2,000 year-old hair clipping since that's exactly what occurred during my screening on opening day. It not only feels more authentic, but since the ending just keeps getting worse and worse anyway...

Duel review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Duel-Blu-ray/56551/#Review

The 1.85:1 aspect ratio of Universal's Blu-ray of Duel will no doubt be a source of controversy, since it could be fairly argued that the film's original aspect ratio should be 1.33:1, which was its format on DVD. Then again, the OAR of this version of Duel, which was created for theatrical exhibition, was arguably 1.85:1; so it could also be said that the Blu-ray's presentation corrects the DVD's error. Spielberg was involved to at least some extent in the creation of the widescreen version, as evidenced by his shooting of the additional scenes and his reference in various interviews (including the "Conversation" in this disc's extras) to discovering that opening up the frame in some of the shots revealed that he was in the back seat of the car giving direction to Dennis Weaver. In a perfect world, two versions of Duel would be included, the 74-minute broadcast version framed at 1.33:1 and the 90-minute (technically, 89-minute) version framed at 1.85:1.

Always review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Always-Blu-ray/42410/#Review

So the solution is to wipe out all evidence that it was photographed on celluloid by applying a digital finish in a revisionist effort to make it appear as though it was captured on a sensor and fart arsed around with in Photoshop?

That's movie magic!

So the solution is to wipe out all evidence that it was photographed on celluloid by applying a digital finish in a revisionist effort to make it appear as though it was captured on a sensor and fart arsed around with in Photoshop?

That's movie magic!

The idea of 'restoring' it to bring something back to its original state. Yes, sometimes they erase flaws like a shadow of a camera, or a reflection of Indiana Jones, or a stunt double's face ... but mainly what you'll get is a version of a film that looks exactly how it looked during the original premiere. In a way, nostalgists (at least those who attended a film during the first week or two) have nothing to complain about.

Alex

That's movie magic!

The idea of 'restoring' it to bring something back to its original state. Yes, sometimes they erase flaws like a shadow of a camera, or a reflection of Indiana Jones, or a stunt double's face ... but mainly what you'll get is a version of a film that looks exactly how it looked during the original premiere. In a way, notalgists (at least those who attended a film during the first week or two) have nothing to complain about.

Alex

Aside from the face replacements, that's all a restoration should be. But some films don't even get that, they just pull out and old master, slather it with DNR and release it for Joe Shmo to admire how smooth it looks on his HD panel.

The "flaws" like grain/speckles/scratches make it look more film-like.

And the crackling of an LP makes the music sound more record like. Hence, all releases of classic soundtracks should be based on the master LPs.

All classic score re-releases should sound like they were from an LP that was dragged along a gravel pavement.

All classic film re-releases should look like they scratched and faded prints of a popular movie after it's ran in the cinema for 3 months!

How does the Blu-ray of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind look like? That was shot on bad quality film stock, I believe. In the beginning the print should've looked fine, it's only after a while when it started to disintegrate. In theory, of all Spielberg's movies, CE3K should look the worst.

I don't trust you two. You love it when it looks deteriorated.

Nah, if FSM says it looks bad, then it looks bad. ;)

Edit: Reviews says it actually looks good except for the FXs shots.

How does the Blu-ray of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind look like? That was shot on bad quality film stock, I believe. In the beginning the print should've looked fine, it's only after a while when it started to disintegrate. In theory, of all Spielberg's movies, CE3K should look the worst.

Weren't the picture quality problems only due to multiple SFX passes which amped the grain? When I watched the existing Blu-ray, it looked fine though - but it was several years ago and one of my first Blus, so perhaps I was still lacking proper references.

When it came out on DVD I remember that I was disappointed with the picture in general. I know Spielberg has used inferior film stock so I assumed it was during CE3K.

No, because I'm looking at all these screen shots and the wide screen shot looks better composed. The extra material on the top and bottom in the DVD caps are a lot of empty skies or other extraneous information. The BD framing looks natural.

Remember, Spielberg shot it with both a TV and possible cinema release in mind.

are we sure about it?

Maybe the thoughts of a cinema release came after the success of the film on TV, and noone had ever thought of releasing it at the cinema at the time of shooting?

We also still don't know if the DVD features the exact same framing as the original TV airing.

The few shots I compared do have the same framing.

It was great looking in 79. I've seen it a few times recently and the picture quality was good. I can tolerate the film better than most. It's certainly loud.