Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Very cool

Someon said at bluray.com, that you get an additional 30% off if you sign up at that site.

So, it's down to $69.99.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=10639476&postcount=312

Here you can see the news and a video with a restoration comparison:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16467

I created a Fox Connect account for the 30% savings but it didn't acknowledge when I put Lost in Space into my cart. Considering it's a pre-order for a September release, I opted to not buy it.

I created a Fox Connect account for the 30% savings but it didn't acknowledge when I put Lost in Space into my cart. Considering it's a pre-order for a September release, I opted to not buy it.

Yes, they said afterwards at Bluray.com that the 30% off didn't succeed in customers who pre-ordered later..

There's a new Jurassic Park franchise boxset coming soon

JurassicParkCollection.jpg

The collection will include:
  • Jurassic Park
  • Jurassic Park 3D
  • The Lost World: Jurassic Park
  • Jurassic Park III
  • Space to add both Jurassic World 2D & 3D discs (coming soon; sold separately)
  • Collectible Digibook Packaging
  • Digital HD for all 3 Jurassic Park films
  • Hours of bonus features

http://www.dapsmagic.com/2015/04/07/jurassic-park-collection-coming-to-blu-ray/

$54 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TPL8DA4/jwfancom-20

Meh.

The thing is, usually the same box set usually comes out later, with the new movies included, for the same price.

That's what happened with the fancy James Bond boxset. I paid $100 for it, and it has an empty hole where Skyfall goes.

Before I had even watched any, they were selling a version with Skyfall included for $100.

I doubt it, after the 20th anniversary release

well, it's still only digital..

How great it would be if that's the upcoming La-laland release.

(still no word I see of this. Not even a small hint or something)

Well, I just hope the new Jurassic Park film would offer an opportunity to release the complete score on cd.

We all wish that, but of course Universal wouldn't be smart enough to make that happen :(

The thing is, usually the same box set usually comes out later, with the new movies included, for the same price.

That's what happened with the fancy James Bond boxset. I paid $100 for it, and it has an empty hole where Skyfall goes.

Before I had even watched any, they were selling a version with Skyfall included for $100.

So? The more options for consumers the better.

I don't suppose any of the upcoming new JP boxes will contain the 3D remastered version in 2D, will they.

What do you want the degrained and scrubbed 3D version in 2D for?

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=2276&disc2=292&cap1=21055&cap2=2997&art=full&image=0&hd_multiID=234&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Because its more pleasing visually to him?

Oh, OK. Hadn't thought of that.

I thought that most people want the most detailed version of a film and not a scrubbed one..

Define "too much". Tampering with the image to wipe out the grain leads to loss in detail and makes it look like a horrendously airbrushed photo.

well, it's true that some films could have less grain in their Blurays if they had been scanned from the original negatives and not from some other intermediate like a 2nd generation film print or something.

But I don't mind at all. I love grain and I agree it shouldn't be removed, even if the source wasn't so good to begin with.

But I don't find Jurassic Park particularly grainy. I have seen far more grainy Blurays.

Define "too much". Tampering with the image to wipe out the grain leads to loss in detail and makes it look like a horrendously airbrushed photo.

Case in point: Predator. The reason I don't want to buy it on BR.

2984_2.jpg

The original BD of Predator is fine, its the "Ultimate Hunter Edition" that is DNRed to death

To be honest I wouldn't know whether it would upset me, seeing the wax heads version that is.

Sadly getting that release is out of the question (region locked for the U.S.)

I wonder if the same one is available for our european market.

To be honest I wouldn't know whether it would upset me, seeing the wax heads version that is.

Sadly getting that release is out of the question (region locked for the U.S.)

I wonder if the same one is available for our european market.

I believe this could be it:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Predator-Blu-ray/1863/

it was released in the same year as the US one, so it can't be the DNRed UHE and it's Region B! :)

Also, it's a 25GB disc and MPEG encode, so yes, I'm 99% certain that this is it.

There is this French too, among others:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Predator-Blu-ray/11932/

Maybe you'd be interested more in this since you live in Belgium.

Don't think anyone noticed this on here, but the Disney Movie Club just released an EXCLUSIVE BluRay of Return To Oz.

1264750.jpg

The only way to get it unfortunately is to be part of the Disney Movie Club or wait for it to inevitably appear on eBay. It is actually a good club to get some Disney films for cheap within its conditions. You can read more about the club here. It is unlikely that this Blu will be available outside the club ANYTIME soon, if ever. This is a real shame because it shouldn't be made this difficult for many to get a hold of a copy of this wonderful film finally in the form it always deserved.

Now as for the BluRay itself (which I'll be ordering soon through the club), it is barebones with no bonus features at all. Not even the interview from the DVD, so hang onto it if you still want that. It just has a menu with scene selection and subtitles that can be accessed via remote. But the transfer itself is a really good restoration and has HD 5.1 audio. Check out some screenshots here. There was at some point an HD video version of this film available, and a forum member did a comparison video of the two. After watching it, it is clear this Blu is mostly a definite improvement even over that. Much of the dirt and specks have finally been removed, even from "effects" shots, like that one of Dorothy and Billina looking at the Oz forest (matte painting) at the beginning. Colors and contrast also seem to be more true to how they should be. There even is more actual image on the BluRay version, meaning the HD version was cropped before (and likely the DVD, too). And for those in other countries, according to the back cover this is a Region Free release.

While I am let down on the lack of ANY bonus features (although one can find some wonderful stuff online, like an old "making of" and even an entire rough cut of the film that features some deleted scenes), the transfer is the most important thing, and this seems to deliver very nicely on that part. Can't wait to get it! Just wish they could have gone with a better cover... although it is still not nearly as hideous as what they did for the Disney DVD (where Dorothy looks like some weird kind of doll in the face)...

This was one of my most wanted titles, and I'm furious that such films are released through the Disney club and I would have to pay excessive prices at ebay to buy them.

(same for Love Bug, Pollyanna, Old yeller, Swiss Family Robinson etc.).

They seem to release all their classic live-action catalogue through the club only! :angry:

This was one of my most wanted titles, and I'm furious that such films are released through the Disney club and I would have to pay excessive prices at ebay to buy them.

(same for Love Bug, Pollyanna, Old yeller, Swiss Family Robinson etc.).

They seem to release all their classic live-action catalogue through the club only! :angry:

I totally agree with you. I had to sign up for the club just to get it. It kind of is a good deal though if you have wanted a lot of Disney (and Ghibli!) films.

I've never seen that movie but it looks trippy as hell

I watched parts of it as a kid but it scared the crap out of me. I've never had the opportunity to revisit it.

It is kind of a trippy film in parts. And for children it is STILL a scary film. Not as scary watching as an adult but the creepy factor is still there. Especially that beginning at the mansion where they perform electroshock therapy. I mean... WOW. They really went there with this film! Thank you, Disney!

Mombi's "head" bits are also still fairly disturbing.

I hope this means there really could be a complete/reissue of the score around the corner...

Don't think anyone noticed this on here, but the Disney Movie Club just released an EXCLUSIVE BluRay of Return To Oz.

Does that mean the long expected score re-release is finally going to come out soon?