Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I've seen enough of The Mentalist to know that it's not unlike every other network TV crime-solving drama for the most part. But to paraphrase Pauline Kael, TV is so rarely great art that we have to appreciate good trash truly discover a show's greatness. That's the reason I've continue to watch the terrible show Bones for like 7 years. ;)

Bones! I don't understand why they still make this sh!t. National TV must really suck in The States. At least we have Canvas and Acht. Carnivale, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men, True Blood (your weekly dosis of pulp), you name it ... everybody has free access to quality. We educate our people. True, there are a few commercial channels that only show you the bad: The Mentalist, Bones, Hunter, Castle, Spartacus, Camelot, ... The world is not perfect.

Alex

Canvas?

What ive seen of Belgian TV (just the national channels, not the commercial ones) really is dull, boring, static and unimaginary.

Dutch tv is not very good at all, belgians is worse!

Good childrens tv though, ill give them that.

Canvas is not for kids, Steef. It's a place where refined, cultivated adults can go for documentaries, quality TV series like Breaking Bad , them hip Scandinavian series about female detectives chasing serial killers that I don't watch, art house/international movies, debates, Monty Python, Michael Palin's travel programs, art, music, culture ...

sillywalk.jpg

Alex

My girlfriend loves Bones, partially because she still has a thing for the Angel guy. Not my sort of thing (never got into weekly detective serials) but from what I've seen I can tell it's light entertainment. Harmless fun. That's all some people want when it's finally time to relax.

Lee - who'd hate to live in a world bereft of light entertainment.

Er .. we are living in a world with almost nothing but light entertainment but there are those of us who occasionally want to watch something other than a quiz show, cook program, Cupcakes War, Funniest Home Videos, The Mentalist or Big Brother.

Heh heh, Castle and Hawaii Five O are other regulars on our tv. I'm usually posting here or browsing the web on the iPad when they're on, but I follow along with one eye and one ear, a bit like how ET watches a movie. Daft formulaic nonsense and I don't really mind it being on. It's not an afront to my being on this earth or anything.

Has anyone here purchased a European Bluray of E.T.?

I got the Finnish digibook , as I had said earlier.

Now, I hope my question isn't dumb, but because E.T. is my favourite film of all time, i just wanted to be sure that everything is like it should be.

I've noticed that the US Bluray of E.T. has a duration of 1:54:35.869 (h:m:s.ms).

The one I got (and from what i see other Europe releases too from their info), have a duration of 1:54:29.070.

Does anyone think that something might be missing, or it's just an extra logo in the US release, or some more seconds of black screen?

Has the US version any logo after the end credits? or in the beginning before the universal logo in the movie?

By the way, I just watched the E.T. Journals (the behind the scenes in the extra of the BLuray)

magnificent!

That MTV video with John Williams at the piano that was on a site, it's from there..

I wonder why there isn't (or is there?) anywhere behind the scenes footage from the flying sequences?

I would love to see them riding the bike in front of blue screen or whatever..

Hunter, Criminal Minds, Castle, Nikita, NCIS, CISN, CSI, ISNC, (Miami, New York, every town), Hawaii-Five-O, Blue Bloods, ... it's all despicable.

what's ISNC.

and why are those shows dispicable?

I watch the 3 highlighted. I think CSI is better than ever with Ted Danson, who I have met, his wife and I went to High school together. Criminal minds is almost as gory as Walking Dead, and Hawaii Five O is the best travelog on tv. I so want to go back.

you can't even make up shit well. Put that L on your forehead.

Csi Schaerbeek for you

or Csi Amsterdam for Stefan, with their high crime rate it might be a hell of a show.

for me its CSI Eureka Springs.

you can't even make up shit well.

Apparently, I do. See, you wondered what it was. ROTFLMAO Or you thought I made a mistake and felt superior. ROTFLMAO That's how dumb you are, hillbilly. Everything has to be explained to you. Even the simplest things! No wonder you like shitty movies and TV series.

Hillbilly, thats the best can do! LOL. You wont some opossum pie.

like Joachim, your's is the superior.....

And where exactly were the hillbillies from?

Granny was from??? And the Clampetts were from???

hint, not the state I'm from.

Now, I hope my question isn't dumb, but because E.T. is my favourite film of all time, i just wanted to be sure that everything is like it should be.

I've noticed that the US Bluray of E.T. has a duration of 1:54:35.869 (h:m:s.ms).

The one I got (and from what i see other Europe releases too from their info), have a duration of 1:54:29.070.

Well I sure hope this isn't PAL speed-up related or anything.

Oh dear, drinking beer and reading these two gentlemen is so entertaining and fun! Thanks guys.

it's only 11 am too early to be drinking alcohol, here ;)

Alex and Joey both once again doesn't seem to understand that different people have different opinions and enjoy different things and there's nothing wrong with that. Explaining why you like a show over another is fine but calling someone an idiot for liking things you don't is really juvenile and a pretty big waste of time. Who would have guessed the most juvenile posts we've had in a long while are coming from our two oldest members?

It's the only language Joey understands. Who else but a true idiot gloats over me making randomly variations on NCIS? How can you have an adult conversation with Joey? Answer me that, Jason.

Why must you always edit your posts to add more things in after people have already replied to them

Anyway why can't you understand that different people like different things and there's nothing wrong with that? Who gives a flying fuck that Joey likes NCIS and you don't? Somehow, life will go on.

Why must you always edit your posts to add more things in after people have already replied to them

I post while I'm actually not finished. I do that a lot. Sometimes more thoughts pop into my head. Or I correct errors. I don't see the errors until I press 'post'.

Come on Intrada... LaLaLand... anyone... make it happen! ;)

Speaking of 80s wonderfulness, I really hope Disney releases Return To Oz on Blu to coincide with their new Oz film. Now would be a better time than any to do so for it's fans. The DVD could definitely use a remaster.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone noticed this, but Warner Brothers released a ton of triple features, one including Gremlins 1 and 2 and Goonies for only $9.99 at WalMart! I snagged one yesterday. There was also the Austin Powers trilogy, some Kubrick films (I think it was 2001, Shining, and Clockwork Orange), and a couple other sets. REALLY good deal.

Anyway why can't you understand that different people like different things and there's nothing wrong with that? Who gives a flying fuck that Joey likes NCIS and you don't? Somehow, life will go on.

I don't like NCIS, I don't dislike it either, I don't watch it.

Hey Alex I'm okay with you adding to your posts, I do it a lot myself and you're much more entertaining to read than Jason, who is being a hypocrite. He's often the first to poo poo people's opinions, and not just mine.

Come on Intrada... LaLaLand... anyone... make it happen! ;)

Speaking of 80s wonderfulness, I really hope Disney releases Return To Oz on Blu to coincide with their new Oz film. Now would be a better time than any to do so for it's fans. The DVD could definitely use a remaster.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone noticed this, but Warner Brothers released a ton of triple features, one including Gremlins 1 and 2 and Goonies for only $9.99 at WalMart! I snagged one yesterday. There was also the Austin Powers trilogy, some Kubrick films (I think it was 2001, Shining, and Clockwork Orange), and a couple other sets. REALLY good deal.

last week I bought it, Jason bought it, and poor Wojo wanted to buy it but couldn't find it. The display my walmart had has disappeared and been replaced by Finding Nemo in 3D or 2D display. I'll pass on that one.

last week I bought it, Jason bought it, and poor Wojo wanted to buy it but couldn't find it.

Poor Wojo? That reminds me of this classic book:

poor-richards-almanac.jpg

If that were my name, it'd be perfect...

There is no PAL on 1080p/720p Blu-ray.

Oh, the Amazon page actually has the features list already for Willow. Here's what we will get:

Journey to the far corners of your imagination with Willow, for the first time ever on Blu-ray! Now fully digitally restored, this release features a dazzling array of extras, including new, never-before-seen exclusive content.

Blu-ray Disc:

Willow (Feature film) in High Definition

Deleted Scenes with Ron Howard Commentary

Making of an Adventure with Ron Howard Introduction

Morf to Morphing with Dennis Muren Introduction and Closing

Willow: An Unlikely Hero — Personal Video Diary of Warwick Davis

Matte Paintings Gallery

DVD Disc:

Willow (Feature film) in Standard Definition

Woo hoo for deleted scenes!!! Although if that list is 100% accurate (probably not), it is missing a few features from the DVD, namely the commentary by Warwick Davis.

yes, that's right...

By the way, about those extra Blurays from B&N!

No answer again for 2 days now (although the automated message said they would respond in 12-24 hours).

Two things might have happened:

Either they are extremely busy, or the one who saw my emails is responsible for all this, and doesn't tell his superiors so as not to get fired..

yes, that's right...

By the way, about those extra Blurays from B&N!

No answer again for 2 days now (although the automated message said they would respond in 12-24 hours).

Two things might have happened:

Either they are extremely busy, or the one who saw my emails is responsible for all this, and doesn't tell his superiors so as not to get fired..

no doubt this is not true.

if every shipper fires their employees who have made a shipping error then every person working in shipping will be fired.

or Csi Amsterdam for Stefan, with their high crime rate it might be a hell of a show.

I don't live in Amsterdam!

And as for the crime rate. The United States has imprisoned more of it's citizens then any country on Earth, including China!

Yeah you're right of course.

Too bad some Blu-rays still have the speed-up problem due to lackluster production.

http://www.dvd.nl/fo...ead.php?t=72250

I don't live in Amsterdam!

And as for the crime rate. The United States has imprisoned more of it's citizens then any country on Earth, including China! If you don't count the secret "black" jails, then it's much much more.

you told me Hoorn is a suburb of Amsterdam just a few miles north.

should be receiving my Universal Classic Monsters Collection Blu Ray coffin in the next few days.

Absolutely not!

Its more then 33 kilometers from Amsterdam to Hoorn, which is just over 20 miles!

With several cities in between. Huge cultural difference!

Might sound laughable to you, coming from a huge place, but it's considered a considerable distance here.