Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Joe, how does the original King Kong look on Blu? I've only ever seen it on tv in old, faded prints.

its very good. WB found a great print for restoration. It still has flaws which is part of its charms. I think Universal went beyond what even WB did. So far I have over a dozen films in black and white on blu and they are all glorious.

are you saying I don't like Chinatown, shows you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

That's exactly what I'm saying, Joey. There's no need to pretend that you love the movie.

are you saying I don't like Chinatown, shows you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

That's exactly what I'm saying, Joey. There's no need to pretend that you love the movie.

I don't love the movie, but I do like it enough to have the blu. Do you. It will never be my favorite film but it's the only Polanski film I currently own.

Oh, now I remember, you claimed history has forgotten about Chinatown. I don't think that's true, BTW. At least, I never experienced it that way. People are still making references to it. And anyone with a passion for film will get in touch with it sooner or later. It's a '70s classic. In fact, it's probably still the L.A. Noir movie to beat.

Alex

I've only seen a few of Polanski's films but they were all good or great. I even really enjoy Frantic, which has some very authentic Hitchcock homages in it and an intriguing Ford who suitably looks completely bedazzled throughout. The Pianist was the last one I saw, and I found it as satisfying as Schindler's List.

My personal favorite is the one everyone hates ... Bitter Moon ... with music by Vangelis .... Muhahaha!

I'm sure Paul Verhoeven and I are amongst the film's biggest fans. ;)

I've only seen a few of Polanski's films but they were all good or great. I even really enjoy Frantic, which has some very authentic Hitchcock homages in it and an intriguing Ford who suitably looks completely bedazzled throughout. The Pianist was the last one I saw, and I found it as satisfying as Schindler's List.

I stand corrected. I have the Pianist. It's great.

Brilliant performances and production values but a rather depressing film.

arn't all holocaust films.

Very good indeed but nothing more.

And only the first time. Watching it multiple times isn't very awarding (okay, true for most films but it needs to be said). I like houses where, each time you visit them, you keep discovering things that you haven't seen before. Revisiting The Pianist wasn't one of those experiences. Everything was the same but less impressive because you've already seen it.

Alex

Most movies are like that, but I don't hold it against them (why would I?) since I very rarely watch the same movie twice. But yeah, I watched Cabin in the Woods a second time with my mum and it lost a star - the movie being much less effective without its novelty surprises. Going to see The Hobbit a second time tomorrow will be a test for that movie.

Just like music, I always visit movies that I like twice or more. That's why I collect them. Yes, I know, most movies don't get better but I will settle gladly if a movie can give me an experience that is more or less just as good as the first time. In a way, films should be more like music. They shouldn't all be made so that you understand everything from one viewing. That's why Kubrick's movies are so worthwhile revisiting. In fact, they benefit from it. And it took me 3 or 4 views before I orgasmed (excuse my language) for The Duellists. People change and when they do, the movies change with them. The moment a film stops telling me something new is the time I decide not to revisit it any longer.

Alex

Definitely. But there's nothing wrong with movies that engage on a first time basis, either.

I just don't buy movies like I used to. Most new movies don't seem to hold up to scrutiny, but then again I suppose it's always been that way. Last movie I bought was Jaws on Blu for £7.95, on Dec 25th.

Don't know the film, but that cover is mingin'!

It's the film from which we see an extract in E.T.

What does "mingin'" means?

I thought it was good, but now i see it means something like "poor"? (from mingy)

By the way, I LOVE the cover!

filmmusic, just because a movie is old doesn't mean it's a classic.

although the Quiet Man is a classic in every sense of the word.

well, Ι use the word "classic" in a wider sense meaning the old films.

As we generally use the word "classical" music, for all old music and not just eg beethoven's 9th, or Mozart's 40th and I don't know what else..

and i think, the wider meaning has prevailed if you look closely.

eg. Everywhere in the internet you see sites about "classic films", etc. etc. meaning all the old movies and not just those who are trully classic.

And since we're having this conversation, what old movie you would consider non-classic?

Most film Historians use the term " Classic Film "

to describe a span of time beginning in the early 1930's through the late 1950's. Many have called this period the " Golden Age " of Hollywood. So you could lump all the films during this period as the " Classic Film " period. That doesn't mean all the films made during this period were the best of all time. Some films won Oscars. Many were considered to be amateurish. Depends on public opinion and the professional film critic.

Another approach in defining the " Classic Film " period would be any films made during the " Hollywood studio system era ." That era is considered to be from the 1920s through the 1970s.

http://classicfilmth....com/Page7.html

well, Ι use the word "classic" in a wider sense meaning the old films.

As we generally use the word "classical" music, for all old music and not just eg beethoven's 9th, or Mozart's 40th and I don't know what else..

and i think, the wider meaning has prevailed if you look closely.

eg. Everywhere in the internet you see sites about "classic films", etc. etc. meaning all the old movies and not just those who are trully classic.

And since we're having this conversation, what old movie you would consider non-classic?

Most film Historians use the term " Classic Film "

to describe a span of time beginning in the early 1930's through the late 1950's. Many have called this period the " Golden Age " of Hollywood. So you could lump all the films during this period as the " Classic Film " period. That doesn't mean all the films made during this period were the best of all time. Some films won Oscars. Many were considered to be amateurish. Depends on public opinion and the professional film critic.

Another approach in defining the " Classic Film " period would be any films made during the " Hollywood studio system era ." That era is considered to be from the 1920s through the 1970s.

http://classicfilmth....com/Page7.html

I think of lots of old movies that are good decent films but not classic. 50 years from now attack of the clones will be 60 years old, it won't be a classic.

Secret of the Blue Room, The Gorilla, Honolulu, Camille, Care Free, Men in White, just to name a few, though I really like Secrets of the Blue Room, I prefer Murder in the Blue Room from the 40's. Neither which is a classic, but simply enjoyable old movies.

Joey, the Universal Classic Monsters Collection is now $80 on Amazon, $10 per film. Can't remember if you already got it or not.

I got the UK coffin version for Christmas. Actually there are 9 films on the set, Dracula, Dracula(spanish version, superior in many ways to Lugosi's). Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon (the 2d and 3d versions).

I believe there is to be one. A digibook version.

I believe Filmmusic, there is a thread at bluray.com about the Universal Digibook releases.

Earthquake is to be released this year I believe, another John Williams' scored film.

Earthquake is wonderfully awful in a guilty pleasure sense.

for me it's a film to add to my collection, I want the special features. I'm a special features whore.

I used to devour them too, but just sort of began agreeing with Spielberg a bit to the point that I was no longer keen to dissect the magic as much as I once was. Still, there's stuff like the Aliens documentaries and the LotR EEs which are magnificent companion pieces.

These days Deleted Scenes are the only special features I care about

I used to always make sure I got the biggest box sets with the most discs and the most special features, etc. Then I realized one day i was never watching any of that stuff. Early on when DVDs first came out I watched a bunch of special features, when I was younger and had less things to do with my free time. But also part of the problem is that once you've seen how they make a variety of different movies, all the making ofs start being the same thing. All movies are made the same with, with not much innovation happening that frequently (at least not any more).

Deleted Scenes are still cool to me though. It's like getting to see more of a movie I love! Or even if its a movie I rented and didn't care for, you can sometimes see scenes that would have made the film way better, or would have made the film even worse, or whatever. Fun stuff.

Anything special about this new Schindler's release? Is the print improved or something? I'm not interested in special features.

Well, the special thing about it , is that this is a BLuray! (with much improved quality over the DVD - I hope)

@Joey

Oh, really?

I didn't know it.

Then I would have to add Earthquake too to my collection.

I bought The Poseidon Adventure and saw it the other day, and really enjoyed it in the Bluray format.

@Jason

Well yes, i don't watch special features either (although I watched all of them for the E.T. Bluray), but still I want to purchase the release that has the most.

In case some day - when i'm old - I'd like to see them. :mrgreen:

Also, I'd like to watch all the special features in the indiana Jones Blurays (I already had seen all in the 2003 DVDs)