• Die Hard;
  • Family Guy;
  • The Simpsons;
  • Futurama;
  • The X-Files;
  • Home Alone;
  • The Beatles;
  • Your soul (coming soon...)

Disney doesn't own The Beatles until they get the Anthology and the 60s movies up on Disney+

Granted Disney did buy ABC around the time they originally broadcast the Anthology documentary so maybe that already counts.

I hate everything. 

On 19/04/2024 at 6:53 AM, Tallguy said:

To me the last Big Star that we've had (and yes, I know I'm picking guys) was Matt Damon. We don't have many (any?) traditional Leading Men anymore. Henry Cavil might be getting there. But he's kind of a weird case. None of the Chrises (Pratt, Pine, Evans) seem to be able to open a movie.

Kind of funny looking back that 1997 crystallized three major male movie stars with Matt Damon (Good Will Hunting), Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic), and Will Smith (Men in Black; I know ID4 had already happened in 1996). DiCaprio is kind of the only one who still checks every box today and even he couldn't make Killers of the Flower Moon a blockbuster. Which wasn't entirely out of the question after The Revenant and his previous Scorsese collabs. 

Since then you do kind of have to put asterisks by most who have emerged as leading man material. They always fall short in some area, but of course we do have guys like Ryan Gosling and Joaquin Phoenix who can carry films. But they need a lot of extra help to make unqualified hits, whereas nobody but Leo could have gotten The Wolf of Wall Street and especially The Revenant into the hundreds of millions, $533 million is still insane for that movie. Dwayne Johnson has done a good job branding himself and he did have consistency on his side but Black Adam was embarrassing and nobody thinks he's a great actor.

Right now if anybody can keep it up I guess it'll be Timothee Chalamet. I'm still not really getting the sense that Glen Powell is lighting hearts on fire.

18 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Right now if anybody can keep it up I guess it'll be Timothee Chalamet.

Agreed.

18 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm still not really getting the sense that Glen Powell is lighting hearts on fire.

I just feel like someone "important" wants him to.

We watched The Breakfast Club last night. It was remarkable to think that every one of those five kids seemed to be on the cusp of superstardom and none of them really made it.

On 19/04/2024 at 10:37 PM, Schilkeman said:

Look at me. I’m the star now.

Ishana Night Shyamalan’s Directorial Debut 'The Watchers'

Sony’s “Kraven the Hunter” is being pushed back from its August release, moving to Dec. 13, 2024. It will screen in IMAX and premium large formats.

The film takes over “Karate Kid‘s” original release date, which has been changed to May 30, 2025. It will now bow in theaters after the sixth and final season of “Cobra Kai” debuts on Netflix.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/kraven-the-hunter-december-release-sony-1235984210/

That actually addresses one of the biggest complaints about the previous film in that they've made the animals far more expressive.

There's some interesting things from that and the press release:

• Mufasa is indeed an orphan, and not Scar's brother. His parents are Afia and Masego. Scar, whose name is Taka in a tip of the hat to 'A Tale Of Two Brothers', is actually a Prince. Taka's parents are named Obasi and Eshe.
  • Rafiki, Timon and Pumbaa are telling this story to Kiara (played by Blue Ivy Carter)
  • Lin-Manuel Miranda is writing the songs, Mark Mancina is co-producing them with him, and Lebo M is also contributing. Beyonce is also contributing. Which means that, with previous announcements of Zimmer, Pharell Williams and Nicholas Britell, this is going to be one packed score.

Margo Robbie in talks to star in Avengelyne,  directed by Olivia Wilde (Booksmart, Don't Worry Darling), written by Tony McNamara (The Favourite, Cruella, Poor Things), based on the comic book created by Rob Liefeld

https://deadline.com/2024/04/avengelyne-deal-warner-bros-margot-robbie-olivia-wilde-simon-kinberg-tony-mcnamara-deadpool-creator-rob-liefeld-comic-1235896996

2174046-avengelyne.jpg

22 hours ago, Giftheck said:

That actually addresses one of the biggest complaints about the previous film in that they've made the animals far more expressive.

But on the other hand the overall looks less photorealistic or rushed. (i mean even  the landscapes)

It's weird. they change basic story things that one would suppose from the first film, just for originality. Yet on the other hand they just make an elephant stampede in a canyon... a  fun musical number with the cubs and other animals...

Seriously. Mufasa had an air of long dinasty over him. All about the kings of the past.  Scar was his fallen out of grace brother.

So now Scar seems to be the only and rightful king... Who can blame him for the resentment... And making them be stepbrothers or friends...rests a lot of emotional gravity to the original story...

While i was writting that i realised they may have a good reason for the change. Since Kiara exists, they may want to make Lion King 2. So now Kovu can truly be Scar's son (and of regal blood) and he can marry Kiara since they would not be cousins!

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But on the other hand the overall looks less photorealistic or rushed. (i mean even  the landscapes)

It's weird. they change basic story things that one would suppose from the first film, just for originality. Yet on the other hand they just make an elephant stampede in a canyon... a  fun musical number with the cubs and other animals...

Seriously. Mufasa had an air of long dinasty over him. All about the kings of the past.  Scar was his fallen out of grace brother.

So now Scar seems to be the only and rightful king... Who can blame him for the resentment... And making them be stepbrothers or friends...rests a lot of emotional gravity to the original story...

While i was writting that i realised they may have a good reason for the change. Since Kiara exists, they may want to make Lion King 2. So now Kovu can truly be Scar's son (and of regal blood) and he can marry Kiara since they would not be cousins!

I think this change was thought of for the 2019 film, if I'm being honest. There's a reason that, out of all the lines they could have changed, they changed Scar's resigned "... I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool."

I'm certain that was not the writers' intent back in the 1994 film, of course. Then again, there's a lot that has happened in the various expansions since then that they didn't think of (IIRC Rob Minkoff said that it was a lion that gave Scar his scar, perhaps implying it was Mufasa who gave it to him, but we've had both a buffalo and a snake give it to him in two different popular spinoffs)

Perhaps they're trying to make it less like Hamlet for whatever reason. Which reminds me: I've read that one of the originals sequels was apparently based on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (with Timon and Pumbaa standing in for the two), and if that's true, I have to see that.

Classic FM reports that Anthony Hopkins will play Georg Friedrich Händel in an upcoming biopic supposedly centred around the composition of Händel's Messiah:

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/anthony-hopkins-handel-biopic-messiah/

In a newly announced film, The King of Covent Garden, acclaimed actor Sir Anthony Hopkins will play the great composer, as he wrote his epic choral work Messiah in just 24 days during the summer of 1741.

Händel was 56 when he wrote the Messiah, and 74 at the time of his death. Hopkins is 86 now.

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Classic FM reports that Anthony Hopkins will play Georg Friedrich Händel in an upcoming biopic supposedly centred around the composition of Händel's Messiah:

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/anthony-hopkins-handel-biopic-messiah/

Händel was 56 when he wrote the Messiah, and 74 at the time of his death. Hopkins is 86 now.

@Jurassic Shark's most anticipated movie of the year!

On 01/05/2024 at 7:33 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps they're trying to make it less like Hamlet for whatever reason. Which reminds me: I've read that one of the originals sequels was apparently based on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (with Timon and Pumbaa standing in for the two), and if that's true, I have to see that.

It's true.