Upcoming Films

Quintus

I've been saying this since I saw Lost in La Mancha, but he needs to do this film in animation form! The storyboards and the style of the drawings in general is absolutely kick-ass, there's no way he's going to capture the soul of those storyboards in live-action. If he did it in traditional animation, my God, it would the most glorious thing ever.

I've been saying this since I saw Lost in La Mancha, but he needs to do this film in animation form! The storyboards and the style of the drawings in general is absolutely kick-ass, there's no way he's going to capture the soul of those storyboards in live-action. If he did it in traditional animation, my God, it would the most glorious thing ever.

Gilliam and animation? Could that work?

;)

I can't find any thread for the Robocop remake, so I guess I'll just post it here.

But it looks like Poledouris' main theme is being used for the title card:

*shrug* doesn't sound bad to me

Well that's probably the best part of the music. I've heard the rest of the score is more of the "dubstep" and ostinati.

It's normal for contemporary music genres to be reflected in their cinematic counterparts. There was a lot of Jazz-Funk influence in '70s scoring, New Wave in '80s scoring, Grunge/Alternative in '90s scoring ... Grow with the times, folks!

Alex

It's normal for contemporary music genres to be reflected in their cinematic counterparts. There was a lot of Jazz-Funk influence in '70s scoring, New Wave in '80s scoring, Grunge/Alternative in '90s scoring ... Grow with the times, folks!

Alex

Bunch of granddads here!

Is there a pronounced difference between Grunge and other forms or "hard rock" that would really make it noticeably different in a film score?

Genre music in film scores are often merely a simulation. Many "jazz" scores arent actually jazz for instance.

Is there a pronounced difference between Grunge and other forms or "hard rock" that would really make it noticeably different in a film score?

Yes.

There are pretty pronounced differences for the trained ear, but it depends on how pop-savvy a composer is.

Well, in the UK that'd be Britpop (Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Suede, Manics, Supergrass etc.), followed by trip-hop, jungle, acid house etc.

Britpop in many senses was a reaction to grunge, and the increasing Americanisation of British culture thanks to Thatcher.

Also Grunge didnt really have a long stretch of popularity. Not enough to sort of define a decade.

Maybe not for you. For me, it defined the 90s for sure. I have a ton of grunge albums and went to a ton of grunge concerts

Kurt Cobain's death is my earliest memory of a celebrity death affecting me. Just that thought of "woah... there will be no more Nirvana songs now, because the guy is dead...." I was 14 years old and eating at Burger King with my mom and bro when I found out.

Well, each person has it's own experiences of course. But Grunge, and the whole Seattle scene became huge with Nirvana, but also kinda died with it. In terms of worldwide public interest.

I'm sure there were plenty of genres popular in the 60's other then Rock & Roll, but they arent really remembered now.

Well, in the UK that'd be Britpop (Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Suede, Manics, Supergrass etc.), followed by trip-hop, jungle, acid house etc.

Britpop in many senses was a reaction to grunge, and the increasing Americanisation of British culture thanks to Thatcher.

Britpop was pretty big here too. I'm guessing Grunge was more popular in America for longer then it was in Europe.

and...DOWN WITH THATCHER!

I'm guessing Grunge was more popular in America for longer then it was in Europe.

Grunge had a small window of popularity around the time I was born, with the release of NEVERMIND. This just after Shoegaze (bands like My Bloody Valentine) and Madchester had since died. There was a void waiting to be filled.

Grunge helped make "alternative rock" popular, and that's what defined the decade. Except alternative rock has been the mainstream rock for over twenty years now, so I'm not sure it's still alternative.

Techno music has been around longer if you include synthesizer music and it's been popular at dance clubs, but that's not really a mainstream activity, or at least not something people constantly listen to when the sun is up.

Ummm....no!Techno is disco like Queen are Elvis Presley

No its disco. A rose by any other names sounds the same.

Grunge helped make "alternative rock" popular, and that's what defined the decade.

For Merika, maybe.

Do I strike you as the kind of person who gives a FUCK about the rest of the world?

Yes, lines blur. Is Mellencamp rock or country? Depends on the song and year. But to say that the Bee Gees and Darude are part of the same genre, why... Aren't bum and cooch the same because they're both holes?

I'm guessing Grunge was more popular in America for longer then it was in Europe.

Grunge had a small window of popularity around the time I was born, with the release of NEVERMIND. This just after Shoegaze (bands like My Bloody Valentine) and Madchester had since died. There was a void waiting to be filled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ixK3om8fA

Btw, Techno is Dance music.