Interview with Bouzereau

Maestro

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well obviously by creating this magazine, FSM is hoping to attract people who have "interest for the subject." That's like saying that because I have had a life long passion for Ferraris (I haven't), I am entitled to get one for free, whether that requires illegal action or not.

no,it's not the same thing. This is an article ,a simple article,like the billions of others that are on the web. I do not fell "entitled" to it but I do not feel I am screwing anyone over or causing harm to anyone by reading it for free .Not the least bit.

Except for all those who work as FSM and are counting on the paycheck that they'll earn from this interview.

People read parts of books and magazines in bookshops all the time without buying them

Yes, but they are not copying the pages they read and claiming ownership. It's like music. You're legally allowed to go to a friend's house and listen to his CD, but you aren't legally allowed to download it onto your computer, because then you have a permanent possession of the item.

Besides, somebody mentioned that it would cost you $5 to subscribe for only this edition of the magazine.

You're legally allowed to go to a friend's house and listen to his CD, but you aren't legally allowed to download it onto your computer, because then you have a permanent possession of the item.

oh please...

You're legally allowed to go to a friend's house and listen to his CD, but you aren't legally allowed to download it onto your computer, because then you have a permanent possession of the item.

oh please...

Now that's a convincing argument.

Who would have guessed that John Williams wrote the "Bridge Percussion" music?

In the hours and hours and hours and pages and pages of music JW has written, from jazz to atonal to neo-Classical...does anybody really think that he would have asked somebody to write this two minute percussion cue for him?

I know it's not in the score, but quite often this type of drumming can be written with a whole bunch of measures which say "AD LIB." I doubt that's how this one is done, at least not completely...I'm sure he wrote some exact rhythms, etc. but I would highly doubt that he wrote out every single little note that you hear in all that percussion...timing it to the film was probably the most academic part of that section.

There's about 8 different instruments in that cue, some are pretty simple (and common) like the djembe and the tabla (even though the djembe is African). But, a few notes changed here and there would have given the exact same effect in the movie.

I like it though, wish it were on the expanded release, but I think that to save space on the CD, it was a logical part to leave out if they just had to leave out "something."

Well,it means you won't even copy a friend's c.d. or trade music. If you feel that's what it takes to make you a better person then fine.

As somebody who practices creative activities, I don't believe in sucking away an artist's money and good records by pirating their product. I wanted to burn a CD for a friend with music by JW, so I first re-bought all the cues I was burning on iTunes.

I can understand doing that if the music is unreleased (though I think that owning any officially unreleased music morally obligates me to buy said music if it become officially available).

But these are just my views, I don't expect the entire board to adopt them, as most of the MB sees things quite differently than I do for these matters.

For the FSM magazine thing, I think it's worth fighting for because it is so cheap and so easy to obtain the magazine, so I don't see why anybody wouldn't.

Who would have guessed that John Williams wrote the "Bridge Percussion" music?

In the hours and hours and hours and pages and pages of music JW has written, from jazz to atonal to neo-Classical...does anybody really think that he would have asked somebody to write this two minute percussion cue for him?

I know it's not in the score, but quite often this type of drumming can be written with a whole bunch of measures which say "AD LIB." I doubt that's how this one is done, at least not completely...I'm sure he wrote some exact rhythms, etc. but I would highly doubt that he wrote out every single little note that you hear in all that percussion...timing it to the film was probably the most academic part of that section.

There's about 8 different instruments in that cue, some are pretty simple (and common) like the djembe and the tabla (even though the djembe is African). But, a few notes changed here and there would have given the exact same effect in the movie.

I like it though, wish it were on the expanded release, but I think that to save space on the CD, it was a logical part to leave out if they just had to leave out "something."

I was trying to get the subject away from this copyright argument.... And look how well that turned out!

Well I'll just say one last thing.

I consider myself a nice person in real life .I don't yell at people,I don't pick fights,I don't cause psychological or physical harm.I don't try to screw people over ,profit from others or have weird schemes going on.

But on the subject of copyright issues, as long as it's for personal use (as opposed to profiting from it) ,I do not morally care whatsoever, period.

What?

Wait, you mean that girl in "West Side Story"?

No, I mean that girl in The Sound of Music.

Well I'll just say one last thing.

I consider myself a nice person in real life .I don't yell at people,I don't pick fights,I don't like to cause psychological or physical harm.I don't try to screw people over or have weird schemes going on.

But on the subject of copyright infringement for personal use (as opposed to profiting from it) ,I do not care whatsoever, period.

Think about it from this perspective:

Imagine you're a director/composer/author/etc, and you're releasing your work to the public. The earnings of your product ultimately dictate your success in that occupation. If everybody had this mindset about copyright infringement, then you would be out of a career. By pirating work, one is contributing majorly towards the ruination of somebody's career. Not to mention all the other people--producers, companies, labels--that will have a thinner wallet because of the pirating person.

But we may to agree to disagree here, I'm not sure anybody's changing anybody's mind.

Well, I'm more talking about OOP albums, unreleased music ,cdr trades now that I think about it. And yes,online articles ...that's how the argument started in the first place. I was just thinking you went a bit extreme with the "I only burned a cdr for a friend after re-buying the tracks on itunes" thing

And no, I don't blame JW. I thank him for writing everything himself (except for Anything Goes). :D

You might find more reason to blame Williams after you read the article.

Hmmm, don't think so.

I'm one of the few people here (or only person?) who respects JW as a producer. Now, if somebody else took it upon himself to decide what we should or shouldn't have on an album (particularly if it's a very important cue), that pisses me off big-time. But if it was JW himself who made the decision ... well, um, I respect that, even while being slightly disappointed.

You can't wish somebody dead just because he wrote too much good music!

Think about it from this perspective:

Imagine you're a director/composer/author/etc, and you're releasing your work to the public. The earnings of your product ultimately dictate your success in that occupation. If everybody had this mindset about copyright infringement, then you would be out of a career. By pirating work, one is contributing majorly towards the ruination of somebody's career. Not to mention all the other people--producers, companies, labels--that will have a thinner wallet because of the pirating person.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. :)

An artist's life is hard enough, I'd say.

I think the new issue will go live early next week.

And yes, it's $5 and get this, while you're subscribed to this month's issue, I think you can access all of the back issues. Something else to consider.

Neil

$5 for who lives in the US... for me, it would be almost $15.

And just for reading an article? Yeah, right...

Lucky me for my gift of pacience... I'll read it, eventually, and it won't cost me a ¢ent... :D

I still think most answers will be vague enough to cover up any cheap ass decisions they took on the set .I bet he'll never admit to not releasing all the cues because of re-use fees or they'll be some pretentious excuse as to why Desert Chase is edited.

Well, I'm more talking about OOP albums, unreleased music ,cdr trades now that I think about it. And yes,online articles ...that's how the argument started in the first place. I was just thinking you went a bit extreme with the "I only burned a cdr for a friend after re-buying the tracks on itunes" thing

Yeah that was just my personal beliefs. I'm not expecting to convince anybody else to do that.

Unfortunately, some of the answers were quite vague and evasive. He is representing Concord, so he's going to be a little political.

I did directly ask him about budget/reuse fees, and he said: "There are always time and budgets constraints with any project. But throughout this project, Concord was absolutely supportive of cutting no corners and offering the best possible quality."

Doesn't that make us all feel a little warmer and fuzzier?

"There are always time and budgets constraints with any project. But throughout this project, Concord was absolutely supportive of cutting no corners and offering the best possible quality."

i bet that sounds great,in that Clouzeau-like accent of his

there's basically 5 things i want to know

Why is the pitch and speed wrong on many of the tracks?

Why aren't all the remaining unreleased cues in disk 5?

What decisions did Williams impose on the set ?

Why is Desert Chase edited?

Where's the film version of the ToD End Credits?

"I had nuzzing to do vizzat. Mizzah Villiams put togezza za leesning espeeriance zat he eentended."

Sad that this interview is an impetus to subscribe to FSM when they have done lots of extensive coverage on Williams in the past that apparently was of little interest around here. If Maestro's preview quote is any indication, I'm sure the piece will be as enlightening as the set's liner notes. Oh wait.

It's not all liner notes PR fluff! I do wish he'd been a little more candid, but there are definitely some answers to your questions in the article.

But it's your five bucks!

It's not all liner notes PR fluff! I do wish he'd been a little more candid, but there are definitely some answers to your questions in the article.

Well, ten bucks for me anyway. I might give it a buy if it means access to the magazine archives. All those juicy Goldsmith articles.

:P

Well i hope at least that a checklist-resumé of the most important things on the interview can be posted and taked about here...

For example, the bridge percussion question. Writting here a 'yes' would be enough. No need to know all the words Laurent used. I hope that won't be copyright infringement...

Well, ten bucks for me anyway. I might give it a buy if it means access to the magazine archives. All those juicy Goldsmith articles.

:cool:

First off, it's $60 for me, because they only take Paypal for yearly subscriptions. So because of Marc's policy, that's how much I have to pay to legally read this interview.

Combine that with the ban on discussing DVD-ripping and even mentioning torrents. *ahem*, I invite the board's policy to travel forward to 2008 and the real world. Let me make this crystal clear: I am not trying to deprive anyone of their earnings. I just wish people would realise they can't control everything we do, and by relaxing the rules a little bit, people can make more money and everyone gets the content they want, how they want it.

I think Laurent should get over himself. Not that he doesn't do a good (but not great) job on the documentaries, but as an expanded album producer? :cool:

The pitch problem is inexcusable. The track selection is excusable, I guess, but it could have been a lot better.

Imagine a Superman-like presentation of every single Indy score. The irony of it? I hardly listen to the expanded Superman score, cause I never got into it, somehow. Last Crusade and Temple of Doom are superb, though (music-wise), I listen to those all the time.

:cool:

First off, it's $60 for me, because they only take Paypal for yearly subscriptions. So because of Marc's policy, that's how much I have to pay to legally read this interview.

Combine that with the ban on discussing DVD-ripping and even mentioning torrents. *ahem*, I invite the board's policy to travel forward to 2008 and the real world. Let me make this crystal clear: I am not trying to deprive anyone of their earnings. I just wish people would realise they can't control everything we do, and by relaxing the rules a little bit, people can make more money and everyone gets the content they want, how they want it.

Explain the part about how "people can make more money."