Battle of Voices

BLUMENKOHL

The best voice of these three?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. The best voice of these three?

• Morgan Freeman
    • James Earl Jones
    • Orson Welles

These three men arguably have the greatest voices in cinematic history, and the most recognized, or at least familiar sounding. (Honors also go to Barry White, but he was more in music).

Who do you think has the best of these three?

I vote Freeman. It's a voice that'd get you ladies. It's deep but also soothing.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgan Freeman as the Supreme Being (not to be confused with his role from Bruce Almighty):

Noah!

Who is that?

It's the Lord, Noah.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I want you to...get busy living or get busy dying!

Freeman's voice is associated with far too many "Morgan Freeman liberates the white man" movies for me to pick his. Between Jones and Welles...I think I'd pick Welles, if only because in addition to his films, I associate his voice with many good-humored and lively interviews, like Dick Cavett and Parkinson.

Freeman, purely for his sublime narration. Though here in the UK, Sir David Attenborough is the Lord of all narration.

Freeman's voice is associated with far too many "Morgan Freeman liberates the white man" movies for me to pick his.

Thank God I'm not as serious minded as you. It's depressing.

Freeman, purely for his sublime narration. Though here in the UK, Sir David Attenborough is the Lord of all narration.

Another perfect candidate. Scolared, yet soothing. Precise, yet fluid.

Thank God I'm not as serious minded as you. It's depressing.

Yes, Morlock has awfull tastes.

As much as I love Vader, I prefer Jones in CONAN. His voice is spectacular in that flick:
Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night.

I agree; have to watch that movie again...

They're all iconic, but it has to be Freeman. There's just something about his that's hard to top, where you can be captivated by what he's saying no matter what it is. And it doesn't hurt that he's a fantastic actor.

I grew up with Morgan Freeman's voice (The Electric Company anyone? ;)) so it's been a part of my life.

Although James Earl Jones has a great voice. There was a time when I wanted him to narrate the film version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

See the thing with Don LaFontaine is...I considered adding him to the poll. But...

He didn't have range. He always sounded the same. So therefore no cigar.

And Patty Stewart and Ian McKellen (who sound extremely alike btw) do not have the iconic voices of these three men.

Freeman has a nice, friendly twang to it, but there's no doubt that James Earl Jones is THE voice of cinema. Topped everything that came before it, and will top all that follows.

But I do find Freeman to have a near "perfect" voice. Lends credibility to almost anything, I think.

I happen to like Audrey Hepburn's voice. If you want a female voice with "gravitas," then perhaps Lauren Bacall or Judi Dench.

Sean Connery certainly has one of most distinctive voices in cinematic history.

I grew up with Morgan Freeman's voice (The Electric Company anyone? ;)) so it's been a part of my life.

I love The Electric Company, along with old school Sesame Street. Have you heard that Sesame Workshop is bringing the show back in January, albeit reconfigured for a new generation of children? The NYT had a piece on the new Electric Company back in May.

I didn't know they were bringing it back.

It won't be the same without the adventures of Letterman or Spiderman. ;)

I had forgotten they had a wide variety of people working on the show (doing voices as well); Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks, Joan Rivers, Rita Moreno and Morgan Freeman, to name a few.