Surprising Williams quote in 2002 Interview

SF1_freeze

I just accidentally found a 2002 post (posted below) which seems very interesting. We all know that the music didn't change in the dvd release. Maybe they have recorded something but didn't use it yet and wait for the blue ray release. Even if they scrapped this idea it certainly sounds as John Williams has at least thought about new music and maybe even written the new pieces he intended to record.

Any new developments on that front and what are your opinions on that seemingly forgotten topic?

http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_...=view&id=18

Imperial March in 'Star Wars: A New Hope'?

Friday, 10 May 2002

In a recent interview published in Dutch magazine 'Score', John Williams claims Lucas has asked him to rescore parts of Episode IV to include the Imperial March, which is missing from that film. Here's an excerpt:

"I am thrilled to have the chance to go back to something I composed in 1977 and be able to make the entire saga continuous theme-wise. Notably absent in the first movie is the Imperial March. Being able to insert that theme in the first movie will create a much stronger emotional flow throughout the Saga." "After the release of Episode III George will enhance the original trilogy with additional scenes and special effects, adding my adjustments to the score this will seamlesly branch the entire Star Wars Saga into one massive romantic space opera. I think something of this magnitude has never been done before."

(Thanks to 'elvisjones' and TF.N for the news) New interview reveals that Williams might rescore parts of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame we'll never get a nice HD version of the original non-SEs since he f*cked up the negatives making the SEs

It's a shame we'll never get a nice HD version of the original non-SEs since he f*cked up the negatives making the SEs

Is there proof of that?

If the original negatives where unmolested I'm sure we would've gotten a new HD master of the non-SEs for the 2006 DVD re-release instead of the non-anamorphic LD master they used

Is there proof of that?

If the original negatives where unmolested I'm sure we would've gotten a new HD master of the non-SEs for the 2006 DVD re-release instead of the non-anamorphic LD master they used

I disagree. The film was thrown on there as a bonus, and was another way to sell the SEs while keeping fans "happy", so I think they just threw it on there. I can't imagine them doing a full HD master unless they were A: sold as their own disc, or B: part of a BD set. Let's hope the second one happens.

On my Special Edition video cassette, there was a brief featurette that explained how the original masters were becoming very decayed, and so they had to remaster it.

The SE project began as a straight remaster, before Lucas used it as a trial run for TPM. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that they cleaned up the negative first, and then began to mess with dupes. As much as Lucas goes on with his "it was never finished" malarkey, I can't imagine he doesn't have one negative of the OT somewhere in the archives.

I'll eat my hat if a future BR release contains the original non-SE versions of the films. The pessimist in me says that the 2006 dvds are the best we'll ever get (officially, there are obviously way better fan-made dvds out there)

More reason to hate Lucas:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39381

Excuse me, that's some reason to hate that Hare guy.

GL did the right thing, asked a director and writes that manages actors well. And he refused. Its not Lucas fault.

Do we know how many directors refused? What if everyone of them were afraid of getting the reins of SW?

Certainly NOT Lucas fault.

I don't think this will ever happen. It's very likely Lucas and Williams talked about it, but in the end they will leave things just as they are... Williams for sure, don't know about Lucas, maybe he would track a piece from Jedi, TESB or ROTS into a couple of spots.