What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

Interestingly, this soundtrack uses broad strokes and exciting orchestrations for the battle music and restrained, ambient sort of compositions for the dungeons, which is kind of the opposite of previous Zelda games.

I don't know, Ocarina has very atmospheric, ambient cues for most of the dungeons (Dodgono's Cavern being my favorite). I love how he weaves the old themes in, and at unexpeted places too. And like FFIX, the real joy here is in the cutscenes. Even though they aren't a live orchestra like FFIX, they have an epic cinematic feel that Zelda's never really had before. Chorus and fanfares galore!

I love the Twilight music too, like I said back when I first played the game- the overall design, everything, for the Twilight world is some of the most amazing I've ever seen in a game.

My only quibble so far, again that I brought up in my game review way back, is that the main Hyrule Field cue is very underwhelming. Nothing like the masterpiece Ocarina's is. But that's just one cue out of, what, 300 something?! I can see why this might never get an official release, it's a monster.

As far as the future goes, they only seem to go all out with the score for the "major" Zelda games: the original, Link to the Past, Ocarina, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. We'll have to wait for another one like that for the next big score.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, this soundtrack uses broad strokes and exciting orchestrations for the battle music and restrained, ambient sort of compositions for the dungeons, which is kind of the opposite of previous Zelda games.

I don't know, Ocarina has very atmospheric, ambient cues for most of the dungeons (Dodgono's Cavern being my favorite)

Hmm, well, the Fire Temple music would have been pretty active if Nintendo hadn't gotten all politically correct about it. ;) Strangely, I noticed some similar chanting somewhere in the TP soundtrack. I guess they weren't chanting, "Praise Allah."

My only quibble so far, again that I brought up in my game review way back, is that the main Hyrule Field cue is very underwhelming. Nothing like the masterpiece Ocarina's is. But that's just one cue out of, what, 300 something?! I can see why this might never get an official release, it's a monster.

It's such a... main theme. Omnipresent, constantly varied throughout the game. The Zelda main theme takes a backseat to the new one. I think the key to appreciating it is listening to how it's interwoven through so many pieces of music (e.g. "Hyrule Field Night"). And there's something distinctly "progessive" (I dunno) about it. Also, gotta love the end credits.

As far as the future goes, they only seem to go all out with the score for the "major" Zelda games: the original, Link to the Past, Ocarina, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. We'll have to wait for another one like that for the next big score.

Yeah - well, that should be coming next year when they release the untitled Wii game.

I think one thing's clear: those samples and synths need to go. Bring on the orchestra.

You can say that again.

My only quibble so far, again that I brought up in my game review way back, is that the main Hyrule Field cue is very underwhelming.

Really, John? I agree with Henry, it is a great main theme with many variations (which is to be expected from Koji Kondo). From the beautiful "Midna's Lament" (I am not checking the file names at the moment) to the Morricone-esque "Hidden Village" ("Forgotten Village" sounds kind of lame), it is everywhere, and I have yet to hear a dull variation of it.

I think you guys are misreading me. I'm not criticizing the main theme itself, which I also love, but the specific Hyrule Field cue, which just kind of wanders around for five minutes sounding the same. It doesn't have the variety or dynamics of the other "main area" cues (the original main theme in the first couple of games, Hyrule Field in Ocarina, the main daytime sailing cue in Wind Waker, etc.).

Oh...um, I still disagree with you, if I remember the piece correctly. By the way, I seem to remember a little woodwind reference to the Legend of Zelda Theme before it starts to repeat, am I right?

Somewhere In Time by John Barry. Easy top 10 movie score ever. Probably top 5. Maybe # 1. I don't know. But I do know I love it.

Return of the Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein. Sadly, I don't have the first, but I really like this one.

Been listening to The Untouchables a lot lately, having finally bought it a few days ago. Sooooooooo good!

Yes, I love that score. It's the only Morricone score I have so far, and it's great. The title theme was what drew me to it, after I heard it in the trailer for The Spirit, and the rest is great, too. I'm curious as to the situation of the whole score; I've only seen the film on TV--on the newer AMC, no less--and I knew I might be in for trouble when the main title was visibly and audibly sped up, with the beginning hacked off. I suspect edits were made, but there's a lot I can't make head or tail of. For instance, cues like "Waiting on the Border," "The Untouchables," and "Victorious" were obviously used, but while the theme from the "Al Capone" track was there, I never heard it used in its entirety. "On the Rooftops" seemed like it was longer and mixed differently in film--is the album version an alternate? I'm just confused. So, again, I am curious about the complete score. If the TV version is any indication (and clearly there's a decent chance that it's not), the vast majority of material is covered in the CD (although the "Death Theme" variation played right before Ness meets Malone seemed different, and I liked it a lot), but I don't know. Speaking of the "Death Theme," it seems like really that wouldn't be the Death Theme, but rather a theme for Ness reflecting. It seems like there's an actual death motif, though, playing in the end of the baseball scene and right after the "He's in the car" line. Dunno. Can anyone shed light on this?

The first two Star Trek scores. I still prefer TWOK overall, but TMP has been growing on me immensely. I'll tell you what...it'd be really interesting to hear what Goldsmith would have come up with for TWOK if they'd been able to afford him. Generally, I have more respect for him as a composer, and so I can't help but wonder if my issues with TMP have their roots in the flaws of the film. There are moments of breathtaking awesomeness, especially when the main theme is involved, but a lot of the V'ger material starts wearing on me after a while. TWOK's main theme isn't as great, but it's still a wonderful theme, and it's surrounded by great music for Spock, Khan, Genesis, and so forth. Obviously, Horner had a lot more action sequences to work with, making for a rather more energetic score, and I think he really rose to the challenge, particularly for the battle in the Mutara Nebula. Goldsmith's TMP tends to have only two modes - majestic and brooding - and while I can't get enough of the majestic, the brooding just doesn't quite do it for me.

Yet. :mellow:

I think you guys are misreading me. I'm not criticizing the main theme itself, which I also love, but the specific Hyrule Field cue, which just kind of wanders around for five minutes sounding the same. It doesn't have the variety or dynamics of the other "main area" cues (the original main theme in the first couple of games, Hyrule Field in Ocarina, the main daytime sailing cue in Wind Waker, etc.).

I like it much better than the sailing cue in Wind Waker. My favorite Zelda score is A Link to the Past though.

As for the orchestra, after Super Mario Galaxy, I would be surprised if the next Zelda doesn't use one, I can only imagine how awesome the first orchestra score for Zelda will be.

<!--quoteo(post=591280:date=Jul 24 2009, 10:42 PM:name=Koray Savas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koray Savas @ Jul 24 2009, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=591280"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Listened to the first couple of tracks of <i>G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra</i>. Don't think I can make it all the way through.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should. The second half is better by a country mile.

Oh, hell yes! It's a real piece of Silvestri oomph! His music doesn't really say anything, but it says it loud.

Siegfred & Roy is a good one (just ignore the distinct crapiness of their persons!), very underrated and worth checking out. Lots of bombast but melody and lyricism too!

I've been going through the LotR Complete Recordings again in anticipation for the Rarities Archive.

I'm really loving it this time. It's almost like for the first time, listening to ten hours of music doesn't feel daunting anymore.

All of my orders arrived at once so I've got a great variety of music, aside from TWOK.

;) Lonely Are The Brave

Lost Season 4

Land Of The Lost

Hard Contract

The Right Stuff

Last Embrace

Night At The Museum 2

The Venture Bros.

Still tackling the behemoth that is Twilight Princess. Forget Lord of the Rings, this is a score that you can plow through 6+ discs worth and never feel the length.

All of my orders arrived at once so I've got a great variety of music, aside from TWOK.

;) Lonely Are The Brave

Lost Season 4

Land Of The Lost

Hard Contract

The Right Stuff

Last Embrace

Night At The Museum 2

The Venture Bros.

thats alot, though with your taste in music I'm still perplexed by your choice of lost. Why on God's earth would anyone want to listen to such bland generic filler music that Giacchino steals from every other composer out their.

thumbs up on the Right Stuff.

At some point you'll let go Joe and realize how good Giacchino is. I can't see how the stealing argument holds water, he has the freshest and most distinct sound I've heard in years.

John Williams - Revenge Of The Sith (Complete)

You know, everytime I listen to this score I like it more and more, but it still doesn't grab me the way its grabbed many members here. Perhaps that's because I've only seen the movie once, or because I need some middle ground between the OST and the Complete...... the OST omits way too much important music, but the Complete score has some parts that drag (at least to me, at least for now). I dunno.

James Horner - Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan (FSM Complete)

Such a great release! Superb sound quality, every last cue included, 100% chronological order. And the best part of all is, unlike the recent Indy set - no fan editing required! ;) The only change I'll make is omitting the Huxley track, as well as the epilogue with narration, leaving only the epilogue without narration. But that's as easy as making a new playlist or burning a CDR without those tracks. Great job, FSM!

James Horner - Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock (OST)

This is a really, really good sequel score. I like how Horner basically takes the B Theme from TWOK and makes it the main theme for this movie. I also like the Klingon Theme, and don't really care that it's the same as some material in Aliens (which I know came later). I would LOVE it if FSM (or whoever) released a complete version of this - with TWOK, though the unreleased music is greatly appreciated, the OST truly was full of the best material to pick from, and organized in a way for a great listening experience. With TSFS, though, some unreleased highlights stood out for me right away when watching the movie last night, and I feel like the OST isn't the best listening experience. A complete and chronological release would be very welcome. Does anybody know if there are any legal issues that would be holding it up?

Bill Conti - The Right Stuff (Varese Club Release)

My first time hearing any part of this score (and I've never seen the movie). It was pretty fun! Although, one of the themes is a pretty bad rip-off of The Last Starfighter (unless its the other way around - too lazy right now to look up which one came first). "Light This Candle" sounded like a cross between Williams' Superman and The Last Starfighter. Is this release the complete score? The CD is only 37 minutes long and the film is like 3 hours long, right?

I'm still perplexed by your choice of lost. Why on God's earth would anyone want to listen to such bland generic filler music that Giacchino steals from every other composer out their.

;) Still making that claim and not backing it up with facts? What a surprise... ;)

you can't prove he's great either databoy,

he had a chance to make a home run, and all he's done this summer is shoot a dry wad after dry wad.

My first time hearing any part of this score (and I've never seen the movie). It was pretty fun! Although, one of the themes is a pretty bad rip-off of The Last Starfighter (unless its the other way around - too lazy right now to look up which one came first). "Light This Candle" sounded like a cross between Williams' Superman and The Last Starfighter. Is this release the complete score? The CD is only 37 minutes long and the film is like 3 hours long, right?

Didn't read the liner notes, huh? ;)

Unfortunately at this time, all that was available was the material for original LP Conti had assembled for the planned release back in 1983. The actual masters are lost.

The Last Starfighter came out in 1984, The Right Stuff 1983.

you can't prove he's great either databoy

I never said anything about how great he is. We're talking about plagiarism. As I've said many times before, you're claiming that everything Giacchino writes for the show is plagiarized, and I'm asking for some examples. What kind of examples would you expect me to provide for my position? Go through each second of each episode and then compare it to every other piece of music that's ever been written, and provide my results? It's like trying to prove that aliens don't exist. The burden of proof is on the people who think the aliens are out there. And the burden of proof is on you, the person who thinks Lost is all plagiarized. You can prove that something exists, but proving that something doesn't exist is next to impossible.

So...futilely, I shall ask again. Wanna provide some examples of how everything in Lost is stolen from other composers? It will lend your position some credence.

he had a chance to make a home run, and all he's done this summer is shoot a dry wad after dry wad.

I haven't heard Land of the Lost, but I enjoy Star Trek and Up.

James Horner - Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan (FSM Complete)

Such a great release! Superb sound quality, every last cue included, 100% chronological order. And the best part of all is, unlike the recent Indy set - no fan editing required! ;) The only change I'll make is omitting the Huxley track, as well as the epilogue with narration, leaving only the epilogue without narration. But that's as easy as making a new playlist or burning a CDR without those tracks. Great job, FSM!

James Horner - Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock (OST)

This is a really, really good sequel score. I like how Horner basically takes the B Theme from TWOK and makes it the main theme for this movie. I also like the Klingon Theme, and don't really care that it's the same as some material in Aliens (which I know came later). I would LOVE it if FSM (or whoever) released a complete version of this - with TWOK, though the unreleased music is greatly appreciated, the OST truly was full of the best material to pick from, and organized in a way for a great listening experience. With TSFS, though, some unreleased highlights stood out for me right away when watching the movie last night, and I feel like the OST isn't the best listening experience. A complete and chronological release would be very welcome. Does anybody know if there are any legal issues that would be holding it up?

TWOK is really great. ;) I haven't recieved my CD yet tho. What's the difference between the two Epilogue tracks, is it just that one has narration and the other doesn't?

I wouldn't be suprised if we see TSFS sometime soon, given the Horner-fest we seem to be getting recently.....

What's the difference between the two Epilogue tracks, is it just that one has narration and the other doesn't?

The second one is an earlier alternate that omits the Genesis material. They weren't originally going to have the shots of the coffin on the surface and so forth. The narration is missing from the alternate, too, though.

What's the difference between the two Epilogue tracks, is it just that one has narration and the other doesn't?

The second one is an earlier alternate that omits the Genesis material. They weren't originally going to have the shots of the coffin on the surface and so forth. The narration is missing from the alternate, too, though.

Thanks DM. Just what I wanted to know. ;)

Haven't even removed the shrink wrap, actually!

So, how much score was written for the entire film?

I'm sad to learn that The Last Starfighter ripped off The Right Stuff...

Haven't even removed the shrink wrap, actually!

So, how much score was written for the entire film?

I'm sad to learn that The Last Starfighter ripped off The Right Stuff...

Don't know how much music was composed. It just mentioned that the masters are lost and Conti provided the material used, which was the intended LP release back in 1983.

So it seems quite few composers don't keep recordings of all their music either.

Star Wars: Episode 1, The Fantom Menace- Ultimate Edition. One of my favorite scores. I like its successors to varying extents...but this is the last of four genuine Star Wars scores composed. It's a bit surprising how energized and Star Warsy it is. Unfortunately, it's also the last JW sequel scores that can completely live up to its predecessors. HP3 may be better than HP1, but it's not really in the same universe. This one rules both as a separate entity and as a continuation. The Ultimate Edition certainly has its problems, but something about its simple and unprocessed nature appeals to me. Of course I'd love a properly produced album, but I can dive into it any time, and listen to it basically begining to end. It's got tons of brilliant nuggets of ideas spread pretty evenly throughout.

Star Wars: Episode 1, The Fantom Menace- Ultimate Edition. One of my favorite scores.

It maybe your favorite but how could you stand the clunky edits and looped material? *shudders*

Star Wars: Episode 1, The Fantom Menace- Ultimate Edition. One of my favorite scores. I like its successors to varying extents...but this is the last of four genuine Star Wars scores composed. It's a bit surprising how energized and Star Warsy it is. Unfortunately, it's also the last JW sequel scores that can completely live up to its predecessors. HP3 may be better than HP1, but it's not really in the same universe. This one rules both as a separate entity and as a continuation. The Ultimate Edition certainly has its problems, but something about its simple and unprocessed nature appeals to me. Of course I'd love a properly produced album, but I can dive into it any time, and listen to it basically begining to end. It's got tons of brilliant nuggets of ideas spread pretty evenly throughout.

The score lives up to its predecessors in the sense that Williams composed enough major new thematic or melodic material to warrant a multi-movement suite (which Clones and Sith lacked), but its sensibilities are very much that of late '90s Williams. It is already in evidence by this point that his allegiance to the leitmotivic paradigm (still part of the repertoire of modern day Williams but less successfully so) is on the wane. His approach is more episodic, yet without the same level of melodic fluency and invention that graced the first three Star Wars scores even in their incidental passages. The score may have its share of "brilliant nuggets," but they strike me as nothing more than "a collection of great moments bobbing like ripe apples in tepid cider."

Appalachian Spring, Letter From Home, Danzon Cubano, Lincoln Portrait, Symphony #3, Concerto for Clarinet, Strings, and Piano all composed and conducted by Aaron Copland. Pretty cools stuff, here. This has finished up my listen through the 3 CD set of Copland's earlier works that I recently got, and I must say, it is a journey worth taking. Really great and enjoyable music.

James Horner - The Journey Of Natty Gann (Intrada)

This was a cool little score! Bought it blind (had never even heard of the movie), and even after one listen I was into it. I don't like the way the album is arranged though - you get the climax and then the end credits.... and then there are 4 more score cues. Luckily thanks to this very helpful post I'll be listening in chronological order from now on.

John Ottman - Superman Returns (OST)

Wanted to listen to this before digging into the recording sessions leak. Meh, I dunno. At first I was into it, I liked the way Williams' themes where worked in new ways in tracks like Rough Flight. But then as the OST goes on I just got bored, it really dragged and meandered. Kind of like the movie. I need to give it another chance for sure (the score, not the movie), as I didn't even pick up on Luthor's theme. I was happy to hear not only the Superman Marcha and fanfare, but the love theme and smallville theme as well. I can't remember, does he use Clark's theme too?

Christopher Young - Spider-Man 3 (new 45 minute boot)

THIS score is awesome! Great action cues, awesome mingling of Elfman's main themes with new themes.... good creepy music, good quiet music.......... But mostly huge action cues that give the entire orchestra a crazy workout. This might possibly be my favorite of the three scores... not sure. It's definitely the one that "grabbed" me the hardest on first listen.

Now I'm really anxious to hear Drag Me To Hell!

John Ottman - Superman Returns (OST)

Wanted to listen to this before digging into the recording sessions leak. Meh, I dunno. At first I was into it, I liked the way Williams' themes where worked in new ways in tracks like Rough Flight. But then as the OST goes on I just got bored, it really dragged and meandered. Kind of like the movie. I need to give it another chance for sure (the score, not the movie), as I didn't even pick up on Luthor's theme. I was happy to hear not only the Superman Marcha and fanfare, but the love theme and smallville theme as well. I can't remember, does he use Clark's theme too?

The first half or so of Dying Wish Part II is Luthor's theme. You can tell because it's the only part of the score worth listening too. He even manages to butcher most of Williams' themes.

Now I'm really anxious to hear Drag Me To Hell!

'Drag' has deft orchestrations by an assured musical voice and the gypsy violin gives the music a playful diabolical edge. The CD features tons of stuff not in the movie.

Does it feature the solo gypsy violin that plays when the old lady leaves the bank, and when Christine goes to her house?

Those were my favorite bits in the score.

Land Of The Lost

I need to go back and re-visit this one a little more closely. It sounds as if Giacchino didn't have a true idea of what he wanted to do, or perhaps it's the fault of the film.

There's several Lost moments in the score but it feels all over the place.

When I saw the track titles I was hoping we would get a performance of the song form the TV show. Well I was wrong, somewhat. After the last track there is a boonus that features Will Ferrell singing the first part of the song.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of the Clichéd Internet Meme - Complete Score

This is excellent! There's some very interesting unreleased music, or else I'm not remembering clearly what was on the album. "Spock Dies" and "Amazing Grace" really round out the finale, making Nimoy's voice-over all the more affecting. For some reason, I don't mind the intrusion of the dialogue at all. A first? No comment about the sound because I've only had a chance to listen to this on lousy ear buds in a car.