John Williams and the Academy Awards

Trumpeteer

Well try and stay with me here...

There are usually 5 Best Original Score nominations per year at the Oscars. You once stated that KotCS did not deserve to be one of them. You then stated that there were only 4 scores this year that were better than KotCS, meaning that KotCS is the fifth best score of 2008. And as there are 5 places of recognition at the Oscars, then the top five scores deserve to be nominated. As KotCS is within the top 5 scores of the year, according to you, KotCS deserves to be nominated.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well try and stay with me here...

There are usually 5 Best Original Score nominations per year at the Oscars. You once stated that KotCS did not deserve to be one of them. You then stated that there were only 4 scores this year that were better than KotCS, meaning that KotCS is the fifth best score of 2008. And as there are 5 places of recognition at the Oscars, then the top five scores deserve to be nominated. As KotCS is within the top 5 scores of the year, according to you, KotCS deserves to be nominated.

Yes 4 scores off of Koray's list. Not 4 scores overall.

Jeezus. :lol:

Well looking back, I wasn't talking about Oscar worthy scores, it was scores that were better than KOTCS and I picked 4 from Koray's list. Indy brought up the Oscars, which wasn't what Koray and I were talking about to begin with.

To be honest there are only two scores that I would pick for the Oscar and that's Wall-E or Benjamin Button.

Screw Horner and his boring music. I'll take Desplat's score.

You have to admit though that the main title "Boys playing Airplanes" is simply brilliant. Your 2009 resolution is to love all things James Horner. Would you survive the year? :P

Well, I hope he wins.

I felt so bad for him in 2002, when he didn't win for Harry Potter OR A.I.

Did you see it? He just finished conducting the orchestra, and when they announced the winner, he looked very sad... :huh:

??? I have that on tape and he doesn't look sad.. on my version.

He looks somehow unmotivated when he lost in 2005 for HP 3 POA

and in 2001 Lord of the Rings deserved to win by all means

:o wrong HarryPotter or even AI was more deserving than that droning score.

No.

Every score nominated that year deserved it.

Surely if a score is nominated, it means it's good enough to win (broadly, principally speaking, given some recent travesties). Narrowing it down to one is going to cause nothing but pain and suffering.

Well, I hope he wins.

I felt so bad for him in 2002, when he didn't win for Harry Potter OR A.I.

Did you see it? He just finished conducting the orchestra, and when they announced the winner, he looked very sad... :thumbup:

??? I have that on tape and he doesn't look sad.. on my version.

He looks somehow unmotivated when he lost in 2005 for HP 3 POA

and in 2001 Lord of the Rings deserved to win by all means

:) wrong HarryPotter or even AI was more deserving than that droning score.

No.

YES

I would have taken A.I. over HP but LOTR deserved it and Williams may have been hurt by having two nominations, plus a strong field that also featured Randy Newman and James Horner.

The only thing Randy Newman deserves is complete isolation with a piano so he can sing about what he sees.

His output is at least more interesting than Thomas 'minimalist' Newman.

I also think HP:PS should have won over LoTR.

And I think if LoTR could win 2 out of 3 Oscars, then at least Indy should win 1 out of 4.

Maybe Williams might receive an oeuvre Oscar? It would be about time (although I'd prefer him to get one for an original score).

The only thing Randy Newman deserves is complete isolation with a piano so he can sing about what he sees.

They should lock you in isolation with his music piped through the speakers so as to drill some common sense into you.

One of the most talented composer/singer/songwriter working in the music business today.

I would have taken A.I. over HP but LOTR deserved it and Williams may have been hurt by having two nominations, plus a strong field that also featured Randy Newman and James Horner.

My big Yes was for AI, though i wouldnt have minded Harry Potter winneing either.

Compared to the LOTR Soundtracks AI and HP 1 are some nice tries.. but no sorry John

You have your 5 oscars, Fiddler on the Roof also undeserved as I think.

Make place for new composers, there is no need to give him a honorary award for the INdy scores, this guy has written the most famous tunes of earth. If common people talk about filmmusic they think of Morricone, Williams.. or more recently of Hans Zimmer.

The man has reached everything one could want to achieve and even more. I don't want him to win an oscar anymore, it is unfair to all the newcomers.

I don't want him to win an oscar anymore, it is unfair to all the newcomers.

That kind of statement is as bad as the people saying he should win for KOTCS on behalf of previous scores. The oscar should go to the best score, period.

That kind of statement is as bad as the people saying he should win for KOTCS on behalf of previous scores. The oscar should go to the best score, period.

In a perfect world, sure.

But since that rarely happens, I root for KotCS! :lol:

The man has reached everything one could want to achieve and even more. I don't want him to win an oscar anymore, it is unfair to all the newcomers.

I hate when 'newcomers' win several times in a row.

Menken, Shore, Santaolalla.

Compared to the LOTR Soundtracks AI and HP 1 are some nice tries.. but no sorry John

You have your 5 oscars, Fiddler on the Roof also undeserved as I think.

Make place for new composers, there is no need to give him a honorary award for the INdy scores, this guy has written the most famous tunes of earth. If common people talk about filmmusic they think of Morricone, Williams.. or more recently of Hans Zimmer.

I am sorry but that's just plain stupid. You realize you are saying "no matter which masterworks he might produce, I don't want him to win the Oscar".

If there is something unfair it is that his most famous tunes didn't win an oscar.

I am sorry but that's just plain stupid. You realize you are saying "no matter which masterworks he might produce, I don't want him to win the Oscar".

If there is something unfair it is that his most famous tunes didn't win an oscar.

:lol: Agreed!

I used to think, the best score should win every time. But since that almost never happens, I'm always rooting for the composer I like the most in any given year.

I have so enough of this whole John Williams-I-The-man-he-should-win-every-year-crap!

Yes that is exactly what I say.. who ghives a damn for the oscars anyway? screw them, the never look at quality anyway, it is just a fancy, decadent 20 hour show!!

work should be done just because of the work and the feeling you get yourself from it as creator.. you shouldn't be hunting prices nor expecting them.

People were obviously saying that when "newcomer" Williams won in 1972, 1975 and 1977. As MissPadme said earlier Johnny has his 5 Oscars and worldwide recognition. Time to let the new, young, bright and upcoming film composers (like Ryan Shore) make an impact on the big screen.

People were obviously saying that when "newcomer" Williams won in 1972, 1975 and 1977.

When JW won an Oscar for Jaws (the first Oscar for his own music) he wasn't a newcomer!!

People were obviously saying that when "newcomer" Williams won in 1972, 1975 and 1977.

When JW won an Oscar for Jaws (the first Oscar for his own music) he wasn't a newcomer!!

And he never got awarded in consecutive years neither for his sequel scores.

I have so enough of this whole John Williams-I-The-man-he-should-win-every-year-crap!

Yes that is exactly what I say.. who ghives a damn for the oscars anyway? screw them, the never look at quality anyway, it is just a fancy, decadent 20 hour show!!

work should be done just because of the work and the feeling you get yourself from it as creator.. you shouldn't be hunting prices nor expecting them.

Calm down, I never said Williams should win every year.

Prices and especially Oscars are still regarded as an important sign of recognition for one's work. Of course winning them shouldn't be the main goal but doing the best you can, inspiring millions of people and winning some of them as you go in the meantime because of that, isn't wrong.

Indeed. And Padme's complaint is spot on... it's not about nominating him because it's Williams, it should be whether, in the context of a year of scores, what he's written stands up as the best, the most inspiring and most inventive, IMO.

Hell no. I've got a lot of new music this year, and lots of it is better than most of what I head in KotCS. And given that the movie was generally not really received with open arms, I don't think there's going to be a popularity wave to ride.

And with all the politics... I'm happy for the composer who gets the gong, but in the end it realistically doesn't mean very much. There are loads of composers who have won and their career barely changed.

The Oscars are a weird popularity contest. I once had the chance to talk to a voter about it and the person said that they voted for best score that year by deciding to award the film an Oscar for something, but this person didn't feel that the movie deserved one of the "big Oscars" (Film, Director) that it was up for.

Please, don't ever use the Oscars as a way to measure a composer. Remember, when it comes to Oscars, it's Menken 6 and Goldsmith 1.

I wouldn't mind if Williams got nominated this year, but with the reception that that movie received, I doubt it'll happen. And, if it does get nominated, don't expect it to get many votes-- you never know how many votes might be thinking, Is this a movie that deserves an Oscar?

The Oscars are a weird popularity contest. I once had the chance to talk to a voter about it and the person said that they voted for best score that year by deciding to award the film an Oscar for something, but this person didn't feel that the movie deserved one of the "big Oscars" (Film, Director) that it was up for.

Yes, which is why Finding Neverland and Atonement won for Best Score.

The biggest scandal is Alan Menken, who won like 8 Oscars in just 5 years!

I know that's wrong, but close enough for rock 'n' roll! :P

Actually, Menken deserves 8 Oscars. It's just that JW deserves, like, 30.

Indeed. And Padme's complaint is spot on... it's not about nominating him because it's Williams, it should be whether, in the context of a year of scores, what he's written stands up as the best, the most inspiring and most inventive, IMO.

:(

Like that EVER happens. Dream on you guys!

I wouldn't mind if Williams got nominated this year, but with the reception that that movie received, I doubt it'll happen. And, if it does get nominated, don't expect it to get many votes-- you never know how many votes might be thinking, Is this a movie that deserves an Oscar?

You wouldn't mind if JW got nominated? Well, I'm glad no one would be stepping on your toes if that happened. :)

I'd be glad if JW got nominated, because--frankly--KotCS is a very good score. Just not his all-time best.

Some people here probably think KotCS is worse than Hans Zimmer's worst score...

:(

Like that EVER happens. Dream on you guys!

I never said that actually happens... almost never anyway :)

We're talking ideal, Brokeback-free worlds here.